telemetry broadcast

Kadir ÇİMENCİ
Dear community,

I try to connect to the Ivy bus from another machine in the local network but i can't make. What i want to do is listening some telemetry messages and sending some datalink messages from another machine within same LAN .

The options i have tried;
1) path_to_server/server -n -b "ip:port" (local ip of the machine on which the server is running, broadcast ip of the LAN, local ip of the remote computer are all tried)

2) On the remote side in a Java app.,

bus.start(Ivy.getDomainArgs("IvyHvl",new String[] {"ip:port"})); (ip of remote computer, broadcast ip of LAN, ip of the machine on which server is running are all tried)

Re: telemetry broadcast

Alexandre Bustico
Le 03/07/2014 15:19, Kadir ÇİMENCİ a écrit :

> The options i have tried;
> 1) path_to_server/server -n -b "ip:port" (local ip of the machine on
> which the server is running, broadcast ip of the LAN, local ip of the
> remote computer are all tried)
>
> 2) On the remote side in a Java app.,
>
> bus.start(Ivy.getDomainArgs("IvyHvl",new String[] {"ip:port"})); (ip
> of remote computer, broadcast ip of LAN, ip of the machine on which
> server is running are all tried)

the ip part is the broadcast ip of the LAN (example : 192.168.1.255 for
a 192.168.1.x network with netmask 255.255.255.0)

i remember that we meet problems with broadcast address on macosx few
years ago, i think it was loopback
broadcast addresses (127. ...) that was not handled, but it's old, i
could be wrong.

--
Alexandre

Re: telemetry broadcast

Stephen Dwyer
Hello,

Yes, the bus should be on the broadcast IP, as Alexandre said. At least that has worked for me in the past. The local loopback doesn't work on OS X for normal operation; it uses 224.255.255.255 instead.

Does your java app work when run on the same local machine as the server? Also, can you try running a different agent/app on the remote machine, other than your java app? You might also want to try ivyprobe to see if you are getting any messages.

Thanks,
-Stephen Dwyer

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Alexandre Bustico <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the answers. Today i find a solution for the problem. I had already tried with LAN broadcast ip with 16 bits subnet mask but it didn't worked, i have changed the mask with 24 bits and it is working now. I don't know why there is a problem with 16 bits or is it a specific problem with my environment, but anyway thanks again :)

Kadir

[...]

Problem with FTDI ground station

Nicolas Quendez

Hi everybody,

I just begin to manipulate Paparazzi hardware and software.

For now :
- I succeed in working with flight plan simulation
- I succeed in uploading software into my Lisa M AP
- I succeed into programming my Xbee modules with XCTU (windows) with the PPZUAV FDTI utility board.

BUT :
when I plug the FTDI board with xbee module (coordinator) by USB on my ubuntu computer, I have the following error when starting a session :
Failure("Error opening modem serial device : fd < 0 (/dev/ttyUSB0) ») :

RUN '/home/nicolas/paparazzi/sw/ground_segment/tmtc/link -d /dev/ttyUSB0 -transport xbee -s 57600'
Failure("Error opening modem serial device : fd < 0 (/dev/ttyUSB0)")
Broadcasting on network 127.255.255.255, port 2010
 Read Socket : Connection reset by peer
FAILED '/home/nicolas/paparazzi/sw/ground_segment/tmtc/link' with code 1

I have checked with dmesg that /dev/ttyUSB0 seems to be the good place for the board.
I have added the current user  to the modems group as explained in the FAQ (http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/FAQ).
I made the xbee module set as coordinator, with baud rate set to 57000
My Xbee is a 868 LP 80 K modem.

On the PPZUAV FTDI board the red led is ON.
The green led is ON (but not flashing).

Have you any idea of my mistake, or configuration that I did not do ? Are there some drivers to install for the FTDI board, or a configuration to put into the xml files ?

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Nicolas

Hardware :

XCTU configuration :

Re: Problem with FTDI ground station

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Hi,

Did you check this pages ? :
http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Installation/Linux#Udev_rules
http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Installation/Linux#No_access_rights_for_USB_devices

Gautier

Le 24/07/2014 14:52, Nicolas Quendez a écrit :

[...]

Thanks Gautier,

Indeed, I missed the Udev rules copy to the good place, I will be more attentive next time !

In XCTU (windows), from ground station modem, it detects the remote autopilot modem (when Lisa M powered), and I can see that the autopilot sends continuously some packets to the ground station modem. So informations probably go from the AP to the ground station modem well. But I suspect my Paparazzi configuration still not good because it seems it cannot read the informations and show them in GCS…

I continue my exploration, any advices welcome !
Thanks for the support
Best regards
Nicolas

Le 25 juil. 2014 à 18:14, Gautier Hattenberger <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

<Pièce jointe.jpeg>

XCTU configuration :

<Pièce jointe.gif>

Re: Problem with FTDI ground station

Nicolas Quendez

Hi,

After few weeks of different trials, I do not succeed in making the serial link works. In CGS, the screen is always writing « waiting for telemetry ».
Neither with the Xbee modems nor with direct link between the AP and the FTDI board.

If someone could make me understand what I did wrong, thanks in advance...

In direct link between AP (Lisa M 2.0) and FTDI board (PPZUAV)
- The connections (Rx to Tx, Tx to Rx, ground to ground ; AP powered with 5V ; FTDI board connected by USB to the computer), it seems to me connections are OK according to wiki and FTDI board schematic :

- I do not know if there must be specific files to load ?
For now, I use Bixler_lisa_m_2.xml ;  basic.xml for navigation ;  fixed wing_basic.xml ; ctl_basic.xml ; ins_neutral.xml ; cockpitMM.xml ; and I have tried different xml files for the telemetry (default_fixedwing_imu.xml , xbee868.xml ).
For the session, I use FlightUSB-serial@57600 (and tried other rates).

- In the console, it runs the following without error :
RUN '/home/nicolas/paparazzi/sw/ground_segment/tmtc/link  -d /dev/ttyUSB0 -transport xbee -s 57600'
RUN '/home/nicolas/paparazzi/sw/ground_segment/tmtc/server '
RUN '/home/nicolas/paparazzi/sw/ground_segment/cockpit/gcs '

and GCS is opening, but everything blank, with « waiting for telemetry ».

My GPS is connected, but indoor so probably no signal, but I imagine that all the IMU signals should be transmitted, no ?

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Nicolas

Le 27 juil. 2014 à 17:37, Nicolas Quendez <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

onefastdaddy
What is your airframe file like? Is the telemetry "xbee_api" or "transparent"?

FWIW: the wire from FTDIUtil I made. The pinout is:
Black = (-)
Green = Rx
Brown = Tx

Unsure about pinout for that Lisa/M.

-David

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Nicolas Quendez <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

My airframe file seems to be in transparent mode (see the whole file at the bottom).

For the pinout on FTDI board, yes, green Rx, and Brown Tx (and then black - ). On LisaM, green is going to Tx and Brown to Rx, so (brown, green, empty, black), following the drawing :

<!DOCTYPE airframe SYSTEM "../airframe.dtd">

<!-- this is a HobbyKing Bixler equiped with
  * Autopilot:   Lisa/M 2.0         http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Lisa/M_v20
  * IMU:         Aspirin 2.1        http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/AspirinIMU
  * GPS:         Ublox              http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Subsystem/gps
  * RC:          any PPM system     http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Subsystem/radio_control#PPM
  * Modem        XBee in transparent mode at 57600 baud
-->

<airframe name="Bixler LisaM 2.0">

  <firmware name="fixedwing">
    <target name="ap" board="lisa_m_2.0">
      <!-- higher frequency for aspirin imu, ouputs data at 100Hz -->
      <configure name="PERIODIC_FREQUENCY" value="120"/>
      <configure name="AHRS_PROPAGATE_FREQUENCY" value="100"/>
      <configure name="AHRS_CORRECT_FREQUENCY" value="100"/>
      <define name="AHRS_TRIGGERED_ATTITUDE_LOOP"/>
    </target>

   <!-- <target name="sim" board="pc"/> -->

    <define name="USE_MAGNETOMETER" value="FALSE"/>

    <subsystem name="radio_control" type="ppm"/>
    <subsystem name="telemetry" type="transparent"/>
    <subsystem name="control"/>
    <subsystem name="imu" type="aspirin_v2.1"/>
    <subsystem name="ahrs" type="float_dcm"/>
    <subsystem name="gps" type="ublox"/>
    <subsystem name="navigation"/>
    <subsystem name="ins" type="alt_float"/>
  </firmware>

  <!-- commands section -->
  <servos>
    <servo name="THROTTLE"      no="1" min="1120" neutral="1120" max="1920"/>
    <servo name="ELEVATOR"      no="2" min="1100" neutral="1515" max="1900"/>
    <servo name="RUDDER"        no="3" min="950"  neutral="1440" max="2050"/>
    <servo name="AILERON_RIGHT" no="4" min="1000" neutral="1500" max="2000"/>
    <servo name="AILERON_LEFT"  no="5" min="1000" neutral="1500" max="2000"/>
  </servos>

  <commands>
    <axis name="THROTTLE" failsafe_value="0"/>
    <axis name="ROLL"     failsafe_value="0"/>
    <axis name="PITCH"    failsafe_value="0"/>
    <axis name="YAW"      failsafe_value="2000"/>
  </commands>

  <rc_commands>
    <set command="ROLL"      value="@ROLL"/>
    <set command="PITCH"     value="@PITCH"/>
    <set command="THROTTLE"  value="@THROTTLE"/>
    <set command="YAW"       value="@YAW"/>
  </rc_commands>

  <section name="MIXER">
    <define name="COMBI_SWITCH" value="0.3"/>
  </section>

  <command_laws>
    <set servo="THROTTLE"    value="@THROTTLE"/>
    <set servo="ELEVATOR"    value="@PITCH"/>
    <set servo="RUDDER"      value="@YAW + @ROLL*COMBI_SWITCH"/>
    <set servo="AILERON_LEFT" value="@ROLL"/>
    <set servo="AILERON_RIGHT" value="@ROLL"/>
  </command_laws>

  <section name="AUTO1" prefix="AUTO1_">
    <define name="MAX_ROLL" value="50" unit="deg"/>
    <define name="MAX_PITCH" value="40" unit="deg"/>
  </section>

  <section name="IMU" prefix="IMU_">
    <define name="BODY_TO_IMU_PHI"   value="0." unit="deg"/>
    <define name="BODY_TO_IMU_THETA" value="0." unit="deg"/>
    <define name="BODY_TO_IMU_PSI"   value="0." unit="deg"/>
  </section>

  <section name="INS" prefix="INS_">
    <define name="ROLL_NEUTRAL_DEFAULT"  value="0" unit="deg"/>
    <define name="PITCH_NEUTRAL_DEFAULT" value="0" unit="deg"/>
  </section>

  <section name="BAT">
    <define name="MILLIAMP_AT_FULL_THROTTLE" value="20000" unit="mA"/>
    <define name="CATASTROPHIC_BAT_LEVEL" value="9.0" unit="V"/>
    <define name="CRITIC_BAT_LEVEL" value="9.5" unit="V"/>
    <define name="LOW_BAT_LEVEL" value="10.0" unit="V"/>
    <define name="MAX_BAT_LEVEL" value="12.5" unit="V"/>
  </section>

  <section name="MISC">
    <define name="NOMINAL_AIRSPEED" value="15." unit="m/s"/>
    <define name="CARROT" value="4." unit="s"/>
    <define name="KILL_MODE_DISTANCE" value="(2.0*MAX_DIST_FROM_HOME)"/>
    <define name="ALT_KALMAN_ENABLED" value="TRUE"/>
    <define name="DEFAULT_CIRCLE_RADIUS" value="100."/>
  </section>

  <section name="VERTICAL CONTROL" prefix="V_CTL_">
    <define name="POWER_CTL_BAT_NOMINAL" value="11.0" unit="volt"/>
    <!-- outer loop -->
    <define name="ALTITUDE_PGAIN" value="0.075" unit="(m/s)/m"/>
    <define name="ALTITUDE_MAX_CLIMB" value="4." unit="m/s"/>
    <!-- auto throttle inner loop -->
    <define name="AUTO_THROTTLE_NOMINAL_CRUISE_THROTTLE" value="0.5" unit="%"/>
    <define name="AUTO_THROTTLE_MIN_CRUISE_THROTTLE" value="0.2" unit="%"/>
    <define name="AUTO_THROTTLE_MAX_CRUISE_THROTTLE" value="1.0" unit="%"/>
    <define name="AUTO_THROTTLE_LOITER_TRIM" value="1500" unit="pprz_t"/>
    <define name="AUTO_THROTTLE_DASH_TRIM" value="-1000" unit="pprz_t"/>
    <define name="AUTO_THROTTLE_CLIMB_THROTTLE_INCREMENT" value="0.1" unit="%/(m/s)"/>
    <define name="AUTO_THROTTLE_PGAIN" value="0.02" unit="%/(m/s)"/>
    <define name="AUTO_THROTTLE_IGAIN" value="0.03"/>
    <define name="AUTO_THROTTLE_PITCH_OF_VZ_PGAIN" value="0.05" unit="rad/(m/s)"/>
    <define name="AUTO_PITCH_PGAIN" value="0.125"/>
    <define name="AUTO_PITCH_IGAIN" value="0.025"/>
    <define name="AUTO_PITCH_MAX_PITCH" value="25" unit="deg"/>
    <define name="AUTO_PITCH_MIN_PITCH" value="-25" unit="deg"/>
    <define name="THROTTLE_SLEW" value="1.0"/>
  </section>

  <section name="HORIZONTAL CONTROL" prefix="H_CTL_">
    <define name="COURSE_PGAIN" value="1.0"/>
    <define name="COURSE_DGAIN" value="0.4"/>
    <define name="ROLL_MAX_SETPOINT" value="35" unit="deg"/>
    <define name="PITCH_MAX_SETPOINT" value="25" unit="deg"/>
    <define name="PITCH_MIN_SETPOINT" value="-25" unit="deg"/>
    <define name="PITCH_PGAIN" value="20000."/>
    <define name="PITCH_DGAIN" value="1.5"/>
    <define name="ELEVATOR_OF_ROLL" value="2500"/>
    <define name="ROLL_ATTITUDE_GAIN" value="7400"/>
    <define name="ROLL_RATE_GAIN" value="200"/>
  </section>

  <section name="FAILSAFE" prefix="FAILSAFE_">
    <define name="DELAY_WITHOUT_GPS" value="3" unit="s"/>
    <define name="DEFAULT_THROTTLE" value="0.4" unit="%"/>
    <define name="DEFAULT_ROLL" value="15" unit="deg"/>
    <define name="DEFAULT_PITCH" value="0" unit="deg"/>
    <define name="HOME_RADIUS" value="90" unit="m"/>
  </section>

</airframe>

Le 18 août 2014 à 15:54, David Conger <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

<FTDI_LisaM.jpg>

[...]

alonso acuña
Hi. You seem tobe missing the baud rate in the airframe file. This is the speed at which the Lisa/M communicates with the device that is connected directly to it (airborne xbee or FTDI)

    <subsystem name="telemetry" type="transparent">
      <configure name="MODEM_BAUD" value="B19200"/>
    </subsystem>

Also make sure to set the destination address on the airborne xbee to the address of the ground xbee

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Nicolas Quendez <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Is this a Virtual Machine or dedicated hardware? Do you have anything else connected to USB? As devices are found on startup (and after) they will be assigned a device with a number in /dev. So the first USB serial device is going to be given /dev/ttyUSB0. The second will become /dev/ttyUSB1 and so on. Your hard disk and about everything is a device and located in there so do not create or remove devices by editing or changing things in /dev/. Thankfully Linux comes with most all the drivers you need so this probably isn't a problem with a driver (.dll file in Windows). Usually it is the simplest thing (broken wire, mismatched Tx to Rx, wrong device directive in the command line for Data Link etc). Let's keep looking for a simple solution.

Let's also keep it simple. Let's not debug the XBee modems yet. Unplug the XBee from the FTDIUtil as that will block the use of the cable to connect to the Lisa/M over serial.

My debugging usually goes like:

1. Unplug the FTDIUtil
2. Make sure autopilot is powered off
3. In Paparazzi Center, click "Stop/Remove all Processes"
<order matters here so please follow these steps exactly>
4. Now plug the FTDUtil into USB to the Computer NOTE: Lisa/M powered off and the cable unplugged from the Lisa/M
5. At a  terminal window type: dmesg ... verify in the output the FTDIUtil appears as /dev/ttyUSB0 and "connected"
6. Now connect the Lisa/M with the 3 wire connector to the FTDIUtil
7. Now power the Lisa/M
8. Now in the Paparazzi Center set: Target = ap, Session = Flight USB-serial@57600, and click "Execute"

3 processes should be launched each with a command line shown in an area. All 3 should show "Stop" if they are running for the button. If one says "Redo" then that means it did not start successfully.

What I have found is sometimes if the autopilot is powered and connected to the FTDIUtil the linux system may consider the device busy and assign a new device when the FTDI is connected like /dev/ttyUSB1. So the order of the above will make sure (for me at least) that /dev/ttyUSB0 is used each time.

What is the output from the above?

About the XBee you have. Here is what I do.
1. Using the FTDIUtil plug in the GROUND modem and launch X-CTU
2. Add the XBee and verify it is set for:
a. 57,600 comm rate
b. Coordinator
c. either API or AT but be sure both have the same directive as to the use of API or not using API

for the airborne one you setup the same settings except for one very important difference. The airborne one is not a coordinator it is an end-device/router. Granted I only work with the XBee Pro S1/S2 with mesh so if your are using non mesh maybe there is no option for coordinator and end-device.

BTW: I have never seen the modems you show in the photo. Are they a new type?

Also if the FTDIUtil works with the cable it does not guarantee the XBee with wireless will work. They are separate problems. Just if you get the cabled way to work you can then focus on the XBee as the next problem.

Hope this helps keep you going. Remember, it's almost always something simple. Paparazzi has been working since 2003. It's flexibility will become something you find very empowering down the road when this all starts to makes sense. Once past the startup learning process you will have a much better understanding how this all works and have more confidence with what you are doing with it. Keep trying is the path to success here.

Cheers,
David

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 5:52 AM, Nicolas Quendez <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks everybody for the help !
My answers  :

Is this a Virtual Machine or dedicated hardware?

Dedicated Lenovo T400 only for paparazzi, with Ubuntu (only).

Do you have anything else connected to USB?

No, except the autopilot when flashing the firmware, on the second USB...

[...]

When typing dmesg  I do not see the term « connected » and I see ttyUSB0 but not /dev/ttyUSB0 :

There are a lot of things written, and at the end :

[80975.226298] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page found
[80975.226307] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[80975.226315] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[81002.332104] usb 6-2: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[81002.529142] usb 6-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6001
[81002.529151] usb 6-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[81002.529159] usb 6-2: Product: FT232R USB UART
[81002.529166] usb 6-2: Manufacturer: FTDI
[81002.529173] usb 6-2: SerialNumber: A600eGeJ
[81002.536216] ftdi_sio 6-2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[81002.536290] usb 6-2: Detected FT232RL
[81002.536297] usb 6-2: Number of endpoints 2
[81002.536304] usb 6-2: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
[81002.536311] usb 6-2: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
[81002.536317] usb 6-2: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
[81002.538290] usb 6-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

6. Now connect the Lisa/M with the 3 wire connector to the FTDIUtil
7. Now power the Lisa/M
8. Now in the Paparazzi Center set: Target = ap, Session = Flight USB-serial@57600, and click "Execute"

3 processes should be launched each with a command line shown in an area. All 3 should show "Stop" if they are running for the button. If one says "Redo" then that means it did not start successfully.

All the 3 processes are running smoothly. But GCS is empty with « waiting for telemetry ».

[...]

These modems are the xbee 868 LP, that should be OK for Europe if I understood well…
So for now, no new test with the Xbee. I focus on the FTDI direct link for now...

Also if the FTDIUtil works with the cable it does not guarantee the XBee with wireless will work. They are separate problems. Just if you get the cabled way to work you can then focus on the XBee as the next problem.

Hope this helps keep you going. Remember, it's almost always something simple. Paparazzi has been working since 2003. It's flexibility will become something you find very empowering down the road when this all starts to makes sense. Once past the startup learning process you will have a much better understanding how this all works and have more confidence with what you are doing with it. Keep trying is the path to success here.

I have no doubt about that. I will perseverate. I have skills in aerodynamics and flight mechanics, but new on linux and electronics…

Thanks again
Nicolas

[...]

<FTDI.jpg>

XCTU configuration :

<XCTU6.gif>

Re: Problem with FTDI ground station

onefastdaddy
On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Nicolas Quendez
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks everybody for the help !
> My answers  :
>
> Is this a Virtual Machine or dedicated hardware?
>

> Dedicated Lenovo T400 only for paparazzi, with Ubuntu (only).
>
> Do you have anything else connected to USB?
>

> No, except the autopilot when flashing the firmware, on the second USB...
>
> As devices are found on startup (and after) they will be assigned a device
> with a number in /dev. So the first USB serial device is going to be given
> /dev/ttyUSB0. The second will become /dev/ttyUSB1 and so on. Your hard disk
> and about everything is a device and located in there so do not create or
> remove devices by editing or changing things in /dev/. Thankfully Linux
> comes with most all the drivers you need so this probably isn't a problem
> with a driver (.dll file in Windows). Usually it is the simplest thing
> (broken wire, mismatched Tx to Rx, wrong device directive in the command
> line for Data Link etc). Let's keep looking for a simple solution.
>
> Let's also keep it simple. Let's not debug the XBee modems yet. Unplug the
> XBee from the FTDIUtil as that will block the use of the cable to connect to
> the Lisa/M over serial.
>
> My debugging usually goes like:
>
> 1. Unplug the FTDIUtil
> 2. Make sure autopilot is powered off
> 3. In Paparazzi Center, click "Stop/Remove all Processes"
> <order matters here so please follow these steps exactly>
> 4. Now plug the FTDUtil into USB to the Computer NOTE: Lisa/M powered off
> and the cable unplugged from the Lisa/M
> 5. At a  terminal window type: dmesg ... verify in the output the FTDIUtil
> appears as /dev/ttyUSB0 and « connected"
>

> When typing dmesg  I do not see the term « connected » and I see ttyUSB0 but
> not /dev/ttyUSB0 :
>
> There are a lot of things written, and at the end :
>
> [80975.226298] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page found
> [80975.226307] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
> [80975.226315] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
> [81002.332104] usb 6-2: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
> [81002.529142] usb 6-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6001
> [81002.529151] usb 6-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
> SerialNumber=3
> [81002.529159] usb 6-2: Product: FT232R USB UART
> [81002.529166] usb 6-2: Manufacturer: FTDI
> [81002.529173] usb 6-2: SerialNumber: A600eGeJ
> [81002.536216] ftdi_sio 6-2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
> [81002.536290] usb 6-2: Detected FT232RL
> [81002.536297] usb 6-2: Number of endpoints 2
> [81002.536304] usb 6-2: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
> [81002.536311] usb 6-2: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
> [81002.536317] usb 6-2: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
> [81002.538290] usb 6-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to
> ttyUSB0

I was going by memory. What you see is Linux finding the device and
setting it up. If you did ls -lh /dev/ttyUSB0 you would see the
device. This is good.

> 6. Now connect the Lisa/M with the 3 wire connector to the FTDIUtil
> 7. Now power the Lisa/M
> 8. Now in the Paparazzi Center set: Target = ap, Session = Flight
> USB-serial@57600, and click "Execute"
>
> 3 processes should be launched each with a command line shown in an area.
> All 3 should show "Stop" if they are running for the button. If one says
> "Redo" then that means it did not start successfully.
>

> All the 3 processes are running smoothly. But GCS is empty with « waiting
> for telemetry ».

This is a bit odd as the Data Link seems to me should fail if you did
not have rights (udev rules) setup, implying it is setup per the Wiki
instructions. Are you, or have you ever run the paparazzi software as
root? Maybe this is still a permissions issue. Isn't there an error
somewhere in the output in Paparazzi Center about connection denied or
refused or something?

There is a log of activity in Linux. For Ubuntu 13 it maybe
interesting to look at the contents of /var/log/syslog or
/var/log/auth.log (last lines should be the interesting parts).

> What I have found is sometimes if the autopilot is powered and connected to
> the FTDIUtil the linux system may consider the device busy and assign a new
> device when the FTDI is connected like /dev/ttyUSB1. So the order of the
> above will make sure (for me at least) that /dev/ttyUSB0 is used each time.
>
> What is the output from the above?
>
> About the XBee you have. Here is what I do.
> 1. Using the FTDIUtil plug in the GROUND modem and launch X-CTU
> 2. Add the XBee and verify it is set for:
> a. 57,600 comm rate
> b. Coordinator
> c. either API or AT but be sure both have the same directive as to the use
> of API or not using API
>
> for the airborne one you setup the same settings except for one very
> important difference. The airborne one is not a coordinator it is an
> end-device/router. Granted I only work with the XBee Pro S1/S2 with mesh so
> if your are using non mesh maybe there is no option for coordinator and
> end-device.
>
> BTW: I have never seen the modems you show in the photo. Are they a new
> type?
>

> These modems are the xbee 868 LP, that should be OK for Europe if I
> understood well…

I see. I have no experience with the 868 being here in the US as I
have other options.
I will not be much help with that one. You should have peers in the EU
using them as I have seen their posts on the list before.

http://www.ppzuav.com

Re: Problem with FTDI ground station

Nicolas Quendez

Situation in progress..
I formatted my computer, and re-install everything.
Now GCS is working when the AP is connected by wire to the ground station, good !

BUT : still no telemetry when replacing the wire by the two modems.
Modem Configuration : both the same, except ground station in coordinator, AP in end device. Both in transparent mode (AT), 57600 br. I use xbee868.xml telemetry file.

Situation :
- On XCTU, I can see from the ground station modem that it receives informations from the AP as soon as I power on the AP. So there is communication between them. But, the communication seems odd to me : the ASCII transmitted is not looking like code, is it normal  ?

Thanks again for your help
Best regards
Nicolas