stm32f4 discovery

123

stm32f4 discovery

Chris Efstathiou
Hi.
At last i found dome time and my discovery board is now an autopilot,
big but it works never the less.
I need to do some more work on the PWM servo channels.
BTW i use the supplied stm32f4_discovery board file and the drotek 10dof
imu.
Now i am thinking to make one that will fly using either this
https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/450
or this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F407-417ZG-module-HY-STM32F4xxCore144-Core-Dev-Board-/180923405960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1fe01688
Which one you like? (the big one gives freedom to use almost any
peripheral but it is big.
Don't ask why it is intended for my education and fun only.
Chris

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Sergey Krukowski
Hi Chris! Nice work!
If there is a talk about big boards with a lot of capabilities, it's
probably better to look at BeagleBone Black.
Low price, similar size, but much more power.
Best Regards,
Sergey

> Hi.
> At last i found dome time and my discovery board is now an autopilot,
> big but it works never the less.
> I need to do some more work on the PWM servo channels.
> BTW i use the supplied stm32f4_discovery board file and the drotek 10dof
> imu.
> Now i am thinking to make one that will fly using either this
> https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/450
> or this
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F407-417ZG-module-HY-STM32F4xxCore144-Core-Dev-Board-/180923405960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1fe01688
> Which one you like? (the big one gives freedom to use almost any
> peripheral but it is big.
> Don't ask why it is intended for my education and fun only.
> Chris

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Chris Efstathiou
I have considered this but i think i will stick with the stm32f4 which i
think it has more than enough power and peripherals for the paparazzi.
I don't know why but i wasn't impressed with the first stm cpus but the
stm32f4 with fpu made me change.
Chris

"it's probably better to look at BeagleBone Black"

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Hwarm
Hi Chis,
you can look for same nuticopter projects in uk.
http://www.multikopter.co.uk/forum/topic/808-open-pilot-ported-to-discovery-f3/page-2
They fly with the discovery .
I think the code was free.
Regads

Heinrich

Chris schrieb:

> Hi.
> At last i found dome time and my discovery board is now an autopilot,
> big but it works never the less.
> I need to do some more work on the PWM servo channels.
> BTW i use the supplied stm32f4_discovery board file and the drotek
> 10dof imu.
> Now i am thinking to make one that will fly using either this
> https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/450
> or this
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F407-417ZG-module-HY-STM32F4xxCore144-Core-Dev-Board-/180923405960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1fe01688
>
> Which one you like? (the big one gives freedom to use almost any
> peripheral but it is big.
> Don't ask why it is intended for my education and fun only.
> Chris

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Chris Efstathiou
Hi Heinrich!
Arghh we had the same idea :-D
A pcb companion for the stm32f4 discovery with all the needed hardware....
Anyway i think i can make a better companion-sensor pcb based on my
flying experience :-)
With the size of our aircraft approaching if not exceeding 2m nowadays
the discovery board is not that big.
Chris

On 08/25/2013 10:29 AM, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Warmers wrote:

> Hi Chis,
> you can look for same nuticopter projects in uk.
> http://www.multikopter.co.uk/forum/topic/808-open-pilot-ported-to-discovery-f3/page-2
>
> They fly with the discovery .
> I think the code was free.
> Regads
>
> Heinrich
>

> Chris schrieb:
>
>> Hi.
>> At last i found dome time and my discovery board is now an autopilot,
>> big but it works never the less.
>> I need to do some more work on the PWM servo channels.
>> BTW i use the supplied stm32f4_discovery board file and the drotek
>> 10dof imu.
>> Now i am thinking to make one that will fly using either this
>> https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/450
>> or this
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F407-417ZG-module-HY-STM32F4xxCore144-Core-Dev-Board-/180923405960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1fe01688
>>
>> Which one you like? (the big one gives freedom to use almost any
>> peripheral but it is big.
>> Don't ask why it is intended for my education and fun only.
>> Chris

Re: stm32f4 discovery

neofrommatrixold
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Chris Efstathiou
I am very very satisfied with the original Drotek 10dof (i don't have the aspirin) and i also have a clone of it bought 20$ with shipping.
I have used double sided tape and istalled the imu underneath the discovery board.
My opinion recently has changed as i prefer the imu to be located outside the autopilot board now...
The other 6 pin plug goes to the FTDI (or modem) cable.
Chris

On 08/25/2013 01:06 PM, Marius Pfeffer wrote:

Hello

Are you satisfied with the performance of the Aspirin.v2.2 or drotek 10dof imu or do you want to build a complete new imu, direct soldered on the stm32f4 discovery "add on board" ?

With the drotek imu the price could be pushed to around 50€ (with the stm32f4 discovery, without gps) which in my opinion is very attractive for beginners.
yours sincerely
Marius

Chris schrieb:

Hi.
At last i found dome time and my discovery board is now an autopilot, big but it works never the less.
I need to do some more work on the PWM servo channels.
BTW i use the supplied stm32f4_discovery board file and the drotek 10dof imu.
Now i am thinking to make one that will fly using either this
https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/450
or this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F407-417ZG-module-HY-STM32F4xxCore144-Core-Dev-Board-/180923405960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1fe01688
Which one you like? (the big one gives freedom to use almost any peripheral but it is big.
Don't ask why it is intended for my education and fun only.
Chris

SDC11016.JPG (667K) Download Attachment
SDC11017.JPG (667K) Download Attachment

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Chris Efstathiou
I forgot to say that most of the things i need to be on a daughterboard
(and i will fit )for the discovery are safety and protection components
like adc input protection, adc user settable voltage scaling
(sometimes i need the input to be 5vother 3.3), voltage spike
protection, modem and gps uart line protection (as those are often
remotely mounted) etc.
Chris

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Hwarm
Hi,
there are all so ports to the  stm32f3 discovery:
https://stratum0.org/wiki/Multikopter#NG-UAVP_STM32F4_Teststatus_.28201301.29
https://github.com/lilvinz/OpenPilot
You have only to by a pressure sensor.

http://www.rcswift.com/
https://github.com/lilvinz/OpenPilot/wiki/Discovery-F4-what-this-is-about

Regads
Heinrich

Chris schrieb:

> I forgot to say that most of the things i need to be on a
> daughterboard (and i will fit )for the discovery are safety and
> protection components like adc input protection, adc user settable
> voltage scaling
> (sometimes i need the input to be 5vother 3.3), voltage spike
> protection, modem and gps uart line protection (as those are often
> remotely mounted) etc.
> Chris

Re: stm32f4 discovery

neofrommatrixold
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Chris Efstathiou
Of course, i was talking only for making a stm32f4 discovery adapter board.
Chris

On 08/26/2013 04:26 PM, Marius Pfeffer wrote:

Hi

The stm32f3 and stm32f4 discovery do not have the same pinout.
A sensor board that is compatible with both  will be difficoult to draw in eagle and with a huge amount of solder jumpers.
Just wanted to mention.
sincerely
Marius

Chris schrieb:

I forgot to say that most of the things i need to be on a daughterboard (and i will fit )for the discovery are safety and protection components like adc input protection, adc user settable voltage scaling
(sometimes i need the input to be 5vother 3.3), voltage spike protection, modem and gps uart line protection (as those are often remotely mounted) etc.
Chris

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Luis Carlos

Hi cris...congratulations..it's possible to post your configuration file...i have a stm discovery and drotek clone...

The quanton board is a nice board...for porting to paparazzi relative low cost...stm32f405 processor and fully 10dof sensor similar to drotek or aspirin...made in germany....it's very nice for beginners...

Best regards..

http://www.quantec-networks.de/shop/en/quanton/1/quanton-flight-control-rev.-1

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1833030

Luis Carlos

Chris schrieb:

I forgot to say that most of the things i need to be on a daughterboard (and i will fit )for the discovery are safety and protection components like adc input protection, adc user settable voltage scaling
(sometimes i need the input to be 5vother 3.3), voltage spike protection, modem and gps uart line protection (as those are often remotely mounted) etc.
Chris

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Chris Efstathiou
Just use the supplied stm32f4_discovery board file.
It does not have pwm channels yet but you can have look to the Krooz_sd board file and the you can add at least 9 to the stm32f4_discovery board file.
Chris

Chris schrieb:

I forgot to say that most of the things i need to be on a daughterboard (and i will fit )for the discovery are safety and protection components like adc input protection, adc user settable voltage scaling
(sometimes i need the input to be 5vother 3.3), voltage spike protection, modem and gps uart line protection (as those are often remotely mounted) etc.
Chris

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Luis Carlos

Thank you cris..
Best regards

Luis Carlos

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Hi Marius,

I tried a bit with the stm32f4 discovery board and saw some code i don't understand:
I'm working with kronaks excel sheet (http://kornakprotoblog.blogspot.co.at/2012/01/pinout-spreadsheet-for-stm32f4.html)

stm32f4_discovery.h

/*SPI*/
#define SPI_SELECT_SLAVE0_PORT GPIOB
#define SPI_SELECT_SLAVE0_PIN GPIO9

B 9 does not support SPI1 NSS, i think A 4 would be correct.

You can use any gpio pin as SlaveSelect output, as that is handled by the paparazzi driver via spi_enable_software_slave_management of libopencm3.

stm32f4_discover.makefile

# default flash mode is via usb dfu bootloader
# possibilities: DFU, SWD
FLASH_MODE ?= DFU
STLINK ?= n
DFU_UTIL ?= y

Is there a dfu bootloader ? I havent found one anywhere yet. If not, i would change this to stlink as default.

The STM32F4 already has a DFU bootloader integrated.
You can use the dfu_util to flash it (and this is what is used by default for this board if you press upload in the paparazzi center).
Holding BOOT0 high and BOOT1=PB2 low during reset, and keeping the USART and CAN lines quiescent, should bring up a DFU bootloader on the USB micro-AB port.

I would start to write a article in the wiki, would be nice if i can get the status of the "sensor addon board".
Can i add it directly to stm32f4 based board ? ( I would add it with the sensor board as "one" board)

Which sensor addon board do you mean?

Re: stm32f4 discovery

neofrommatrixold
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Chris Efstathiou
Hi.
 That was an idea of mine which i do work but it will not be a "product"  as the discovery board is
too big for normal applications and most important i am not "in the business", i just ride along for the fun.
I can't see how you can fit this combo to a quadcopter or a small airplane, it is very big and clumsy...
In any case a prototyping perforated board will do the job, the only things missing for normal operation are a few resistor dividers for the adc inputs, some pins for the servos and some holes for mounting.
Chris

On 09/11/2013 08:24 PM, Marius Pfeffer wrote:

2013/9/11 Felix Ruess <[hidden email]>
Hi Marius,

I tried a bit with the stm32f4 discovery board and saw some code i don't understand:
I'm working with kronaks excel sheet (http://kornakprotoblog.blogspot.co.at/2012/01/pinout-spreadsheet-for-stm32f4.html)

stm32f4_discovery.h

/*SPI*/
#define SPI_SELECT_SLAVE0_PORT GPIOB
#define SPI_SELECT_SLAVE0_PIN GPIO9

B 9 does not support SPI1 NSS, i think A 4 would be correct.

You can use any gpio pin as SlaveSelect output, as that is handled by the paparazzi driver via spi_enable_software_slave_management of libopencm3.
ok

stm32f4_discover.makefile

# default flash mode is via usb dfu bootloader
# possibilities: DFU, SWD
FLASH_MODE ?= DFU
STLINK ?= n
DFU_UTIL ?= y

Is there a dfu bootloader ? I havent found one anywhere yet. If not, i would change this to stlink as default.

The STM32F4 already has a DFU bootloader integrated.
You can use the dfu_util to flash it (and this is what is used by default for this board if you press upload in the paparazzi center).
Holding BOOT0 high and BOOT1=PB2 low during reset, and keeping the USART and CAN lines quiescent, should bring up a DFU bootloader on the USB micro-AB port.
Tanks, didn't know that, havent done anything with arm MCU yet ^^
I first thought SWD will work best, so i wrote the wiki artice.

I would start to write a article in the wiki, would be nice if i can get the status of the "sensor addon board".
Can i add it directly to stm32f4 based board ? ( I would add it with the sensor board as "one" board)

Which sensor addon board do you mean?
Chris said;
"A pcb companion for the stm32f4 discovery with all the needed hardware....
Anyway i think i can make a better companion-sensor pcb based on my flying experience :-)"
So i thoug he is working on something.

cheers
Marius

Re: stm32f4 discovery

Richard Thornton

I have just purchased a similar board to the discovery (the
HY-STM32F4xxCore144) and would be very keen to have the daughtercard,
from the posts I can't tell much, is this something that we will be
able to buy?

I would like to use the HY-STM32F4xxCore144 with a Piksi RTK GPS
system, maybe a couple of RFM23BP for telemetry, a couple of Spektrum
satellite receivers and what ever extra sensors and components (not
sure if 10dof is required if you have centimetre precision GPS?) I
would need for a DIY quadcopter (I have ESC's and motors on my uair
R10).

Anyway keen to help if I can, this could save quite a bit of money and
allow a huge amount of customization.

Thanks.

Richard

Re: stm32f4 discovery

I don't think you should hold your breath for a daughterboard being sold as a product...
But if you want to play with such boards, you can simply connect normal breakout boards to it.
E.g. the Drotek 10dof mpu600+hmc5883+ms5611 sensor breakout board.

Cheers, Felix

Hi,