launch GCS with -edit option using Live CD

launch GCS with -edit option using Live CD

John Koches
Hello Everyone:

Still plugging away here.  Today's question, how do you launch the GCS with the -edit option using the Live CD package?  Is this even possible.  I have developed and registered background images for the field where I intend to test the autopilot.  I would like to create a simulation for that specific geography.  Can I do this with the Live CD?

I have ordered and received Debian and have a computer to operate Linux, but I haven't actually loaded the operating system yet.  I thought I would take the Live CD package as far as I could so that I understood the limitations.  We have so little experience with Linux that I am concern we will be using a lot of our time just getting a system stable.

As always, thank you for all your help.

jkk

RE: launch GCS with -edit option using Live CD

akochevar
John,
as far as I understand the live cd can be used, you just must create a session using the control_panel.xml file in conf/   creating an argument with -edit.  you may have a look at using VM for testing.  The server program of virtual machine ware (www.vmware.com ) allows you run a virtual machine inside windows.  I have debian installed inside windows which is nice, although a bit taxing on my computer.  debian is really the way to go if you want to start changing sources and files.  Maybe antoine will jump in here and say a few words

Anton

Re: launch GCS with -edit option using Live CD

Nicolas Calderon-2
Hi John, for Debian, you don't need to order it. If you have a high speed connection, you can just download the net-install, which is approx 100-200 mb. Then, as the name say it, depending on the packages you actually take, the installer will fetch what you need off internet and install it. The CDs are ok, but it's just sad to know that by the time it gets to your place, it is already outdated :P

As for getting a system running... I can't lie to you... Linux is not Windows. Things won't work off the box as they would on Windows... But it's not as bad as people pretend it to be. With new kernels, hardware support has improved quite a lot. As for software, apt (Debian package manager) does a very nice job for you... Managing dependencies and all those scary things.

Plus, you got paparazzi list and IRC channel for your questions. And if that's not enough, on the very same network, you got #debian channel, with all the geekest person in the world to answer all your questions.

The bottom line: fear not ;)

John,
as far as I understand the live cd can be used, you just must create a session using the control_panel.xml file in conf/   creating an argument with -edit.  you may have a look at using VM for testing.  The server program of virtual machine ware (<a href="http://www.vmware.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> www.vmware.com ) allows you run a virtual machine inside windows.  I have debian installed inside windows which is nice, although a bit taxing on my computer.  debian is really the way to go if you want to start changing sources and files.  Maybe antoine will jump in here and say a few words

Anton

Re: launch GCS with -edit option using Live CD

vespa@juno.com
John,

The edit option was added fairly recently and may not be on the live
CD, but if it is, you can invoke it by adding the -edit flag to the gcs
part of your session in conf/control_panel.xml like this:

      <program name="gcs">
        <arg flag="-edit" constant=""/>
        <arg flag="-speech" constant=""/>
        <arg flag="-google_fill" constant=""/>
      </program>

This editor is quickly becoming obsolete however, as we now have the
ability to choose and configure any useful path without the need for a
customized flight plan at all, and highly complex paths will soon be
possible entirely through the gui.

Jeremy

Re: launch GCS with -edit option using Live CD

Pascal Brisset-3
Hi John,

the GCS installed in the system as paparazzi-gcs so you can simply
launch (from any terminal) :

    paparazzi-gcs -edit

If you want to use other maps than the ones provided by Google, you have
to "calibrate" them. The procedure is described in the wiki
(http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/wiki/index.php/Maps)

--Pascal

John Koches wrote:

> Hello Everyone:
>
> Still plugging away here.  Today's question, how do you launch the GCS
> with the -edit option using the Live CD package?  Is this even
> possible.  I have developed and registered background images for the
> field where I intend to test the autopilot.  I would like to create a
> simulation for that specific geography.  Can I do this with the Live CD?
>
> I have ordered and received Debian and have a computer to operate
> Linux, but I haven't actually loaded the operating system yet.  I
> thought I would take the Live CD package as far as I could so that I
> understood the limitations.  We have so little experience with Linux
> that I am concern we will be using a lot of our time just getting a
> system stable.
>
> As always, thank you for all your help.
>
> jkk

RE : launch GCS with -edit option using Live CD

durand olivier

Hello John,

have a try with vmware server, this is the way i proceeded to get Debian. It works pretty well , is free (but you must register), is set on one file , you  don't have to divide (sorry i dont know the proper word in English) your HDD before the Debian install, recognize easily your peripherals,  and allows you to work both linux and windows at the same time. The counter part might be a little weaker screen resolution ...I like it better than the live cd (on my acer laptop, i could only boot the live cd on a failsafe mode, due to a pcmcia problem).
good luck and see you

olivier