add a AOA sensor

Mike
Hi all,
       I want to add a AOA sensor to apogee v1.0, and I look at http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Module/AOA_adc, DIGITAL MA3-A10-236-N is the type of AOA sensor; But I can not buy it in my country, Can anybody know where I can buy it?  please give me a website address.

Mike
Thanks

Re: add a AOA sensor

Hector Garcia de Marina
Hi Mike,

just in case, this is not an AoA sensor, it is just a lightweight encoder, therefore you have to craft your own "home made" AoA sensor with it.

Probably you can find a substitute that you can buy from your country, but I do not know whether there are more lightweight (that is relative to your aircraft ofc) encoders in the market and what the prices are.

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
       I want to add a AOA sensor to apogee v1.0, and I look at
http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Module/AOA_adc, DIGITAL MA3-A10-236-N is
the type of AOA sensor; But I can not buy it in my country, Can anybody know
where I can buy it?  please give me a website address.

Mike
Thanks

Re: add a AOA sensor

Mike
Hi H.G. de Marina,
       I am very glad to see your answer! Recently I am studying a article of yours in EI,
The article is "UAV Attitude Estimation Using Unscented Kalman Filter and TRIAD",
And now I also study GNC of UAV based paparazzi with apogee v1.0;
My aim is to design a Online trajectory generation algorithm and embed it into apogee.
I have some problems about my project; I need your help:
       First, I want to set a simulink model of the whole system with my vehicle,
so I need a model of the dynamic of my vehicle;
what kind of process do I use to obtain the aerodynamic coefficients / aircraft model?
use xflr5 or CEASIOM? Which is better?
Here is my aircraft:

                         Full length: 1180mm
                         Wingspan: 1900mm
                         Cabin space: 172mm high * 280mm * 60mm width length
                         Maximum Takeoff Weight: 2.5kg

      Second, I want to add a AOA sensor to get the angle of attack data,
How to craft my own "home made" AoA sensor? Is there a Schematics of it?

Mike
Thanks

Re: add a AOA sensor

Hector Garcia de Marina
Hi Mike,

well, modelling such "small airplane" with accuracy is a hard task.

I have been using AVL: http://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/web/avl/ in the past. Just figure out what is the NACA profile for your wings and tail wings, "cut" the control surfaces and put the fuselage as a block and start to compute your coefficients. The drag one will be not so much accurate and the trust coefficient depends on your propeller (and eventually on your motor if you cannot control/known precisely the rpm). And in the end, you have to tune your coefficients
with some identification models....

On the other hand for Hardware in the loop testing or for getting a general idea about how your algorithms will work with your plane, it is fine just with obtaining some coefficients from well known planes close to yours (I guess it is close to a Cessna??), or work directly with Flight Gear Simulator or X-Plane (there are nice guides in the PPZ wiki or look at the ArduPilot forums/wiki), they have great models and you do not have to spend so much time on modelling stuff.

                          <http://lists.paparazziuav.org/file/n15346/1.png>
                         Full length: 1180mm
                         Wingspan: 1900mm
                         Cabin space: 172mm high * 280mm * 60mm width length
                         Maximum Takeoff Weight: 2.5kg

      Second, I want to add a AOA sensor to get the angle of attack data,
How to craft my own "home made" AoA sensor? Is there a Schematics of it?

Mike
Thanks

Re: add a AOA sensor

Hector Garcia de Marina
Hi everyone,

following the discussion about an AoA sensor, I have found this guide

Does anyone have any experience on such "home made" AoA sensors based on pressure sensors (instead of a mechanical ones)? It seems interesting... but I do not know about the reliability / accuracy (without taking into account the calibration)

[...]

      Thanks for your reply, My aircraft is Skywalker EPO, have you ever hear it?
you say that "there are nice guides in the PPZ wiki or look at the ArduPilot forums/wiki",
Is there some coefficients from the great model close to my aircraft?
But I have not see this in the wiki yet, Can you show me a website?

Mike
Thanks

Re: add a AOA sensor

Tilman Baumann-3
It would be great if someone would proof the concept. :)
Because it is a lot easiert to build and integrate than mechanical vanes.

I had debbled in the idea a bit before.
I came up with the idea for a stuby nose cone which had a front facing tube and two 45degree surfaces up and down with a hole in it each.

On 13/05/14 10:18, Hector Garcia de Marina wrote:
[...]

Bruzzlee
Hi Mike

I bought it from here:
http://usdigital.com/products/encoders/absolute/rotary/shaft/MA3