Xsens MTi-G

12

Xsens MTi-G

Jesus Martin Sanchez

Hello:
  Someone has used the Xsens MTi-G imu with the twog?  I know that someone used it with the Yapa and Lisa, but I need it for the twog.
  Thanks
--
Jesús Martín

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Iman
Hello

I want to use MtiG with UMARIM lite v2, there isn't any RS232 to 3.3V converter on board.

Is there any other way for connecting it to UMARIM? this picture indicates how to connect Mti to YAPA but there isn't any RS232(Max3221) on board! , is there any modification for that?

Thanks a lot.............Imanhttp://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/File:Yapa_v2_xsens.jpg

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Christophe De Wagter

The picture is confusing. It will not work without the rs232 converter  IC. Picture was probably taken during assembly. There is a YouTube were a servo moves with the Xsens and yapa. In there the rs232 chip is certainly placed.

There are loose rs232 converter boards.

Lisa-L and yapa are the only 2 paparazzi boards with onboard level converters (might be outdated info as things move quickly)

On Aug 20, 2013 6:01 AM, "Iman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

I want to use MtiG with UMARIM lite v2, there isn't any RS232 to 3.3V
converter on board.

Is there any other way for connecting it to UMARIM? this picture indicates
how to connect Mti to YAPA but there isn't any RS232(Max3221) on board! , is
there any modification for that?

Thanks a lot.............Iman
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/File:Yapa_v2_xsens.jpg
<http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/File:Yapa_v2_xsens.jpg>

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Iman
Hi Christophe

May I to use general RS232 to TTL converter like MAX232/233 in order to connecting it to UMARIM? does it support 5V TTL voltage?

Can I use all of data include:ACC,Gyro,Compass,GPS through one UART?

Is there any document for configuration of Xsens in airframe file?(except   <section name="XSENS">.....)

Best regards
Iman

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Christophe De Wagter

To have all data you need 230k4 bps. Make sure your max3232 can handle the this. Many can only handle 115k2 at 0 to 65 deg celcius. Check data sheet. Losing IMU is not so nice.

You need <ins type Xsens subsystem to enable reading xsens

On Aug 20, 2013 10:45 AM, "Iman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Christophe

May I to use general RS232 to TTL converter like MAX232/233 in order to
connecting it to UMARIM? does it support 5V TTL voltage?

Can I use all of data include:ACC,Gyro,Compass,GPS through one UART?

Is there any document for configuration of Xsens in airframe file?(except
<section name="XSENS">.....)

Best regards
Iman

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Iman
This post was updated on .
Hello Christophe

here is my design for xsens interface by max3232:

but it seems 3232 isn't suitable for me, because:
" The MAX3222, MAX3232, and
MAX3241 are guaranteed to run at data rates of
120kbps while maintaining RS-232 output levels. The
MAX3237 is guaranteed to run at data rates of 250kbps
in the normal operating mode and 1Mbps in the
MegaBaudTM operating mode, while maintaining RS-232
output levels."

I must to use max3237/3238 instead of 3232 and unfortunately I can't find that in local store:(

Thanks for your tips.
Iman

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Iman
Hello

Default baud rate of xsens MTI-G is 115200(according to user manual) and there isn't any thing about 250Kbs.

Now , can I use default settings of xsens or I must to configure it?(How?)

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Christophe De Wagter

The current Xsens driver will automatically enable desired messages and since this becomes too much data also sets baudrate to 230kpbs. The procedure for a default Xsens is to first setup the default baudrate in your airframe, then run it and then set 230kbps baudrate in your airframe as the Xsens will remember the config.

Another option is to comment out the baudrate config in the driver and change the selected messages to less data or less speed so it will also fit the UART.

On Aug 26, 2013 7:17 AM, "Iman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

Default baud rate of xsens MTI-G is 115200(according to user manual) and
there isn't any thing about 250Kbs.

Now , can I use default settings of xsens or I must to configure it?(How?)

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Iman
Hello Christophe

I'm trying to connect this IMU to my UMARIM very carefully so I have some question about parameter of Xsens MTi-G:

1. Which type of data is suitable for Paparazzi?(General,General_nobaro,Aerospace,Aerospace_nobaro,....)

2.May I configure the baud rate by MT Manager software instead of previous instruction you said?(there is a device output setting in software)

3.Which output mode is usable for paparazzi (default is Quaternion)

I know you said there is a auto configuration option in driver file but some times it's better to do configure it manual.(for ex, always I have problem with auto GPS configuration and I configure it manual!)

4.How can I insert the calibration data(from calibration certificate page) into paparazzi code?

I see recommended voltage is 5V, may I use onboard regulator?

Best regards
Iman

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Christophe De Wagter

Hi
On Aug 28, 2013 11:06 PM, "Iman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Christophe
>
> I'm trying to connect this IMU to my UMARIM very carefully so I have some
> question about parameter of Xsens MTi-G:
>
> 1. Which type of data is suitable for
> Paparazzi?(General,General_nobaro,Aerospace,Aerospace_nobaro,....)

Aerospace or if your static pressure is not good aerospace no baro.

> 2.May I configure the baud rate by MT Manager software instead of previous
> instruction you said?(there is a device output setting in software)

Yes. You should set it to 230k4 in order to work instantly with paparazzi. Please also do a magnetic calibration while Xsens is in your airframe turning only the plane and not the plane and laptop.

> 3.Which output mode is usable for paparazzi (default is Quaternion)

Output mode is always auto configured in current driver and set to Euler. You need to change the paparazzi driver if you need something else.

> I know you said there is a auto configuration option in driver file but some
> times it's better to do configure it manual.(for ex, always I have problem
> with auto GPS configuration and I configure it manual!)

In paparazzi we try to configure things like messages and output mode and baudrate automatically (xbee/ublox/xsens) so communication always works but leave filter settings as-is by default.

> 4.How can I insert the calibration data(from calibration certificate page)
> into paparazzi code?

Calibration is in XSens and given printed just as a reference. Paparazzi will pull calibrated processed data out of the XSens. No need to specify any calibration.

> I see recommended voltage is 5V, may I use onboard regulator?

Regulator of the umarin? I did not check this but it does not sound ideal. The XSens uses about 300 mA? At 5v to max ?? (17v?). Are you sure this regulator likes the additional 1.5 watt?

We always connected our Xsens directly to a 3 cell lipo battery.

> Best regards
> Iman

tim1 for servo pwm on stm32f4?

Chris Efstathiou
Hi Felix.
I edited the actuators_pwm_arch.c file so now i can use TIM9 & TIM12 for
servo pwm and it works fine
(i tested it today on the discovery board)
but when i tried to use TIM1 making sure that no other peripheraL is
using it, i get no output at all.
The reason i used TIM1 was because i can remap the OC pins at a higher
port (port E) thus leaving me a lot of usefull pins free for other things.
I will search more this issue, i just wanted to let you know...
Also shouldn't the prescaler set to double the value as TIM1 uses APB2
which run at double speed?
  I think  " timer_set_prescaler(timer, (PCLK / ONE_MHZ_CLK) - 1); "
should be
"timer_set_prescaler(timer, ((PCLK / ONE_MHZ_CLK)*2) - 1);" for timers
that use the APB2 clock.
That is certainly true (as i found using an oscilloscope) for TIM9 as it
also uses the APB2 clock.
Chris

Here is the relevant part of the board file:

// PWM
#define PWM_USE_TIM1 1
#define PWM_USE_TIM5 1
#define PWM_USE_TIM9 1

#define USE_PWM0 1
#define USE_PWM1 1
#define USE_PWM2 1
#define USE_PWM3 1
#define USE_PWM4 1
#define USE_PWM5 1
#define USE_PWM6 1
#define USE_PWM7 1
#define USE_PWM8 1
#define USE_PWM9 1

#define ACTUATORS_PWM_NB 10

// PWM_SERVO_x is the index of the servo in the actuators_pwm_values array
#if USE_PWM0
#define PWM_SERVO_0 0
#define PWM_SERVO_0_TIMER TIM1
#define PWM_SERVO_0_RCC_IOP RCC_AHB1ENR_IOPEEN
#define PWM_SERVO_0_GPIO GPIOE
#define PWM_SERVO_0_PIN GPIO9
#define PWM_SERVO_0_AF GPIO_AF1
#define PWM_SERVO_0_OC TIM_OC1
#define PWM_SERVO_0_OC_BIT (1<<0)
#else
#define PWM_SERVO_0_OC_BIT 0
#endif

#if USE_PWM1
#define PWM_SERVO_1 1
#define PWM_SERVO_1_TIMER TIM1
#define PWM_SERVO_1_RCC_IOP RCC_AHB1ENR_IOPEEN
#define PWM_SERVO_1_GPIO GPIOE
#define PWM_SERVO_1_PIN GPIO11
#define PWM_SERVO_1_AF GPIO_AF1
#define PWM_SERVO_1_OC TIM_OC2
#define PWM_SERVO_1_OC_BIT (1<<1)
#else
#define PWM_SERVO_1_OC_BIT 0
#endif

#if USE_PWM2
#define PWM_SERVO_2 2
#define PWM_SERVO_2_TIMER TIM1
#define PWM_SERVO_2_RCC_IOP RCC_AHB1ENR_IOPEEN
#define PWM_SERVO_2_GPIO GPIOE
#define PWM_SERVO_2_PIN GPIO13
#define PWM_SERVO_2_AF GPIO_AF1
#define PWM_SERVO_2_OC TIM_OC3
#define PWM_SERVO_2_OC_BIT (1<<2)
#else
#define PWM_SERVO_2_OC_BIT 0
#endif

#if USE_PWM3
#define PWM_SERVO_3 3
#define PWM_SERVO_3_TIMER TIM1
#define PWM_SERVO_3_RCC_IOP RCC_AHB1ENR_IOPEEN
#define PWM_SERVO_3_GPIO GPIOE
#define PWM_SERVO_3_PIN GPIO14
#define PWM_SERVO_3_AF GPIO_AF1
#define PWM_SERVO_3_OC TIM_OC4
#define PWM_SERVO_3_OC_BIT (1<<3)
#else
#define PWM_SERVO_3_OC_BIT 0
#endif

Re: tim1 for servo pwm on stm32f4?

Hi Chris,

true, the timer prescaler is not correct in all cases.
In ppm_arch.c this is properly taken into account, but in the pwm case we have to do that for each timer separately.
We should probably look at adding a convenience function to get the timer base freq to libopencm3.

Pull requests for this stuff welcome (I just quickly made the stm32f4_discovery file to test some basic stuff).

Cheers, Felix

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ok found it, it needed to configure the MOE bit in "break" register.
So far i have used all timers from TIM1 to TIM12 in any combination and it works fine he he he.
On to the "ppm_arc" and ADC  files now :-)
Chris

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Felix Ruess <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Today, I had tested UMARIM with xsens MTi-G. I added this line to my airframe file for the first time:<configure name="XSENS_UART_BAUD" value="B115200"/>

then I changed it to "B230400" but it doesn't work well.

I attach my airframe file and log of my test.

13_09_01__18_32_59.log
UMARIM_xsens.xml

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Iman
Hello

I want to know that , can I use AP without xsens connection? I want to make sure about my airframe file code works correct on my hardware.

Now, when I connect to AP(without IMU) by telemetry , I get "22:48:43 UMARIM_XSENS, FAIL
22:48:43 UMARIM_XSENS, mayday, AP Failure. Switch to manual." message in GCS.

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Christophe De Wagter
the fixedwing code is split in FBW and AP

I think you now have AHRS_TRIGGERED_MAIN_LOOP set in your airframe file, which waits for AHRS(Xsens) messages to then compute control commands with absolutely minimal delay (just when they were received) and does only compute new control commands when new attitude data is available.

If for some time the FBW does not receive any control signal (e.g. on XSens startup or without any XSens connected) then it informs the user that the AP is failing: (not the FBW) and suggests to switch to manual mode, and if you don t it activates the failsafe mode (until either manual mode is selected with the RC or the AP starts giving data)

If you remove the AHRS_TRIGGERED_MAIN_LOOP, then you will not get this message anymore, but if you do not receive data from the XSens, you will not get any warning either, which in my opinion is less safe.

-Christophe

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Iman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

I want to know that , can I use AP without xsens connection? I want to make
sure about my airframe file code works correct on my hardware.

Now, when I connect to AP(without IMU) by telemetry , I get "22:48:43
UMARIM_XSENS, FAIL
22:48:43 UMARIM_XSENS, mayday, AP Failure. Switch to manual." message in
GCS.

Re: Xsens MTi-G

Christophe De Wagter
Just to be sure:

are you using the "old" Mti-G or the new MtiG-700?

If you have the new one, then you also must use the new subsystem <subsystem name="ins" type="xsens700" />

-Christophe