Using some code for Crazyflie

Ewoud
Hi all,

There is some interest from Crazyflie users to implement INDI for their platform. Their software is also open-source, but with the MIT license. Can code snippets be copied between Paparazzi and Crazyflie, or do they need to be re-implemented? Or can they be copied, but only if they come in a separate file with the GNU license? Thanks for any comments!

Cheers,

Ewoud

Re: Using some code for Crazyflie

Tilman Baumann-3
Hi Ewoud,

MIT license is more free than GPL in that sense.
Code can move freely from MIT to GPL. But not the other way around.

On 29/07/2019 10:37, Ewoud Smeur wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There is some interest from Crazyflie users to implement INDI for their
> platform. Their software is also open-source, but with the MIT license.
> Can code snippets be copied between Paparazzi and Crazyflie, or do they
> need to be re-implemented? Or can they be copied, but only if they come
> in a separate file with the GNU license? Thanks for any comments!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ewoud

Re: Using some code for Crazyflie

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Hello Ewoud,

Although the current license is not compatible with MIT, the two main
files containing the INDI code are written by you and corrected
sometimes by Freek or students from TUDelft. So in practice, you could
decide to change the license for the files your are concerned.

If you decide to do it, I would recommend to choose the LGPL, which
keeps a bit more the "hard" opening of the original license and would be
compatible with MIT as non-contaminating.

Note that this won't apply to the math library we are using so they will
have to rewrite a few things anyway. In my opinion, they should look at
our code for some hint in implementation and write their own using their
preferred libraries, it is not that long.

Cheers,

Gautier

Le 29/07/2019 à 11:36, Tilman Baumann a écrit :

> Hi Ewoud,
>
> MIT license is more free than GPL in that sense.
> Code can move freely from MIT to GPL. But not the other way around.
>

> On 29/07/2019 10:37, Ewoud Smeur wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There is some interest from Crazyflie users to implement INDI for their
>> platform. Their software is also open-source, but with the MIT license.
>> Can code snippets be copied between Paparazzi and Crazyflie, or do they
>> need to be re-implemented? Or can they be copied, but only if they come
>> in a separate file with the GNU license? Thanks for any comments!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ewoud

Re: Using some code for Crazyflie

Ewoud
Hi Tilman, Gautier,

Thanks for your input! I'll think about the best course of action given these options.