Tuning a special airframe?

Iman
Hello

I'm using Paparazzi on a special airframe that is very unstable through Roll axis (very hard control by manual) , now I want to use Paparazzi for make it stable first.

Now is there any suggestion for choosing roll_Pgain , roll rate,... for starting?

Thanks a lot........Iman

Re: Tuning a special airframe?

Reto Büttner
Hi Iman

I advise to use an airframe that you are able to control manually. While tuning your airframe for autonomous flight, for landing in difficult terrain and whenever anything goes wrong with the autopilot you need to be able to fly your airframe manually.

If you have troubles controlling a very unstable airframe manually, you can stabilize it using standard RC gyros. It also helps to use some expo on your RC transmitter. And RC training is essential, on the field and if you like on a PC simulator. With these measures you can control any fixed wing airframe manually.

Regards
Reto

2013/6/18 Iman <[hidden email]>
Hello

I'm using Paparazzi on a special airframe that is very unstable through Roll
axis (very hard control by manual) , now I want to use Paparazzi for make it
stable first.

Now is there any suggestion for choosing roll_Pgain , roll rate,... for
starting?

Thanks a lot........Iman

Re: Tuning a special airframe?

Chris Gough-2
> With these measures you can control any fixed wing
> airframe manually.

only if it's (close to) aerodynamically stable, not for example a long
high-speed airframe with stumpy wings and a lot of thrust. Can you
tell us more about this "special airframe" please Imam?

Chris Gough

Re: Tuning a special airframe?

Iman
Hello Chris

This airframe is special because it is very heavy and it has a small wingspan, and it only has two control surfaces(ELEVON).

It has short endurance, and I don't have enough time for tuning it in the air.

I have the same idea as Reto, but now haw can I convert Paparazzi to work like a headlock gyro?

Thanks.
Iman

Re: Tuning a special airframe?

Reto Büttner
Hmmm, that sounds to me something like a rocket or a cruise missile.

Paparazzi was not thought for that sort of aircraft and I hesitate to give more advice for legal and ethical reasons.

Reto

2013/6/19 Iman <[hidden email]>
Hello Chris

This airframe is special because it is very heavy and it has a small
wingspan, and it only has two control surfaces(ELEVON).

It has short endurance, and I don't have enough time for tuning it in the
air.

I have the same idea as Reto, but now haw can I convert Paparazzi to work
like a headlock gyro?

Thanks.
Iman

Re: Tuning a special airframe?

Chris Gough-2
Hi Iman,.

What is the purpose of this heavy, short-winged, short endurance special airframe?

Chris Gough

On 19/06/2013, at 7:43 PM, Iman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Chris
>
> This airframe is special because it is very heavy and it has a small
> wingspan, and it only has two control surfaces(ELEVON).
>
> It has short endurance, and I don't have enough time for tuning it in the
> air.
>
> I have the same idea as Reto, but now haw can I convert Paparazzi to work
> like a headlock gyro?
>

> Thanks.
> Iman

Re: Tuning a special airframe?

Iman
Hi
I think there is a misconception!
I mean the airplane is heavier then conventional airplanes with the same size and the span is not long enough to overcome the planes weight.

the plane was made several years ago and unfortunately the material(which is made of) does not meet the requirements.
of course, all these aspects affect the flight performance.

the airplane doesn't have any military missions.(only a homemade plane)
we can stop continuing the conversation if you think there is problem.

best regards
Iman

Re: Tuning a special airframe?

Reto Büttner
I am still puzzled about your project. You write some rather odd sentances. Just some basic inputs:

Wing span is by far not the only parameter to get lift. Just think about air speed, angle of attack and airfoil profile.

I would not fly with an airplane made of a insufficient material.

If you want more help, send us more info about your airframe, like weight, propulsion, wing span and area, wing configuration (e.g. delta), a picture etc.

Reto

Am 19.06.2013 um 13:15 schrieb Iman <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
> I think there is a misconception!
> I mean the airplane is heavier then conventional airplanes with the same
> size and the span is not long enough to overcome the planes weight.
>
> the plane was made several years ago and unfortunately the material(which is
> made of) does not meet the requirements.
> of course, all these aspects affect the flight performance.
>
> the airplane doesn't have any military missions.(only a homemade plane)
> we can stop continuing the conversation if you think there is problem.
>

> best regards
> Iman

Re: Tuning a special airframe?

Iman
I think just you want to have a game with me!

My field of education is electronic and I have a little information about building model airplanes.

I built this one for hobby several years ago, now I want to use paparazzi because I think it can help to fly my old airplane.
just it, now if you really want to help me just help, in other situation(game with me) it's better to stop this conversation.

Re: Tuning a special airframe?

AJ Kochevar

Aircraft like this are flown on manual all the time.  Move the cf forward ans make sure your elevon deflections are not ridiculous.

<http://paparazzi.517.n7.nabble.com/file/n12569/havapeyma.jpg>

Re: Tuning a special airframe?

Iman
Thanks for your help and excuse me about my last message.

really I'm not a good pilot, but I think it's better to test it by another pilot first!

Thanks a lot..............Iman