Tiltrotor-Project

12

Tiltrotor-Project

notoriou5
This post was updated on .
Hello to all the paparazzi-lovers,

my name is Kevin and i am opening this thread as a "work in progress" thread in hope to get some help from time to time on my project without opening a new thread for each question. I hope that I can also give you some new ideas for your own project and that you enjoy following mine.

About me and my Project:

As i mentioned, my name is Kevin and I am a 25 year old student at the FH-Aachen in Germany. I study Aerospace Engineering with major in Construction and a big passion in UAV's and RC'S. I worked with Multiwii and APM before, but I am totally new to the Paparazzi UAV.  I own a quad and a flying wing myself and enjoy flying them every time I am free.

Currently I am working on my Bachelorthesis which is basically a Y4 Quad with 180° between the Arms and a tilting coaxial front engine. Later on there will be an aerodynamic cover for the lift during forward fly. For now, my task is to program the Quad so it can start vertically and fly stable. After that, the front engine will be tilted to 90° and the vehicle should transition into flying like an airplane. The two back engines will be stopped during this flying mode.

I choose Paparazzi UAV with a LISA M Controller because I think it is a really promising platform if you want to go into autonomous flying later. Furthermore, I would like to strengthen my programming skills too :D

Questions:

For the start, I already have some questions. I would be really thankful if you guys could have a look at it:

1) Answered I work with one other student on this project. We would like to share the changed files with each other without hard copying them every time. I would like to have this privat so I thought maybe I use GITLAB, but somehow I could not make it work. I could not add the /paparazzi folder as an repository. Could it be that I can not do it this way because it is already a repository of GITHUB? Is there another smarter and easier way us to share the files easily?

2) Like I mentioned, we work with a LISA M V2.1 Controller. We ordered it from 1bitsquared.de I tried to flash it but it did not work right away. Do I need to do something with the LISA M before I can flash it? I found something with the luftboot bootloader, but this is only to change the software on the LISA M, not the paparazzi build. Am I right?

3) Answered I was playing around a bit with the GitHub and GitLab and somehow I managed to break my code and it does not seem to work anymore. It compiled perfectly fine before but now I have an undeclared variable. Somebody knows what that means?

Thanks a lot for reading and your help,

I hope that I can post some progress from time to time and you will enjoy reading.

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

notoriou5
This post was updated on .
@Pierre-Selim:
Thanks for helping me out in the other thread. I managed to make a branch and a remote. That way I could upload the files on GitLab. Now I have setup the Server with SSH and I should be able to share my files with my partner.

To Question 3):
I was playing around with Paparazzi and I realized that this error appears during every build, even the standard ones like bixler. Did I delete something by accident? Maybe I should delete everything and pull all the files new?

Edit:

To Question 3): Answered:  I did a hard reset of paparazzi and copied all the changed files back in by hand. works again. No clue what was wrong. Hope with a working stage on git i never have to do this again :D

So far,

Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

notoriou5
Hello everyone,

It was quite successful today. I managed to compile and upload the airframe.xml. I did bind the receiver and it seems to work so far. The problem I have now, is with my ESC's. Just 2 of 4 are spinning.

I think I already know what could be a reason, but I do not know how to solve it. Somehow, I have two slightly different kind of ESC's, some mixup with Hobbyking I guess.

Although they should be both working, only the top one does. They both support form 2S up (I am currently using 3S for testing, later it will be 6S). The top one has the Signal and Ground Cable coming out, the bottom Signal, Ground, and VCC.

I checked the Supervision too, but all throttel is set to 256, so this should be fine.

Here are the relevant pieces of code:

      <subsystem name="actuators"     type="pwm">
        <define name="SERVO_HZ"       value="480"/>
      </subsystem>

  <servos driver="Pwm">
    <servo name="FRONT_TOP"    no="0" min="1000" neutral="1000" max="2000"/>
    <servo name="FRONT_BOTTOM" no="1" min="1000" neutral="1000" max="2000"/>
    <servo name="BACK_LEFT"    no="2" min="1000" neutral="1000" max="2000"/>
    <servo name="BACK_RIGHT"   no="3" min="1000" neutral="1000" max="2000"/>
 </servos>

Is it possible to make both ESC's work?

So far,

Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

Pascal Fust
Hey Kevin,

congratulations about the implementation of the VTOL UAV in paparazzi. I am very curious about how you set up the paparazzi environment, as I am also looking for a transitional UAV solution.
My guess about the ESCs is, that you're facing an issue of ESC calibration, rather than paparazzi control. Did you calibrate all ESC as described in the manual? You may also check out the post about Turnigy multistar ESCs on DIYdrones (http://diydrones.com/group/arducopterusergroup/forum/topics/problem-with-esc-calibration).

Pascal

<http://lists.paparazziuav.org/file/n17926/esc.jpg>

[...]

Hi Pascal,

that was a really good tipp. I tried to calibrate them, but they do not make a sound (or actually the Engine). I checked the Engine, and they are working fine. The Output on from the LISA M is also correct, I checked that on the working ESC.

So the problem must definitely be with the ESC. I bought two of them, so I guess a defect on both of them is really rare too. I think that I am forgetting something or doing something wrong.

I plug in the JR into the LISA M Output and turn the Transmitter, Receiver and LISA M on. After that I connect the power of the ESC which is hooked up with the Engine. But no sound or anything else....

Anyone any suggestions on that?

Thanks a lot,

Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

Oswald Berthold

hi kevin,

2 eurocents: when i built my lisa quad two years ago, i also started out
with multistar ESCs. there were several issues with these ESCs and all
were solved by swapping them out for some different ones.

bst, opt

notoriou5 writes:

> Hi Pascal,
>
> that was a really good tipp. I tried to calibrate them, but they do not make
> a sound (or actually the Engine). I checked the Engine, and they are working
> fine. The Output on from the LISA M is also correct, I checked that on the
> working ESC.
>
> So the problem must definitely be with the ESC. I bought two of them, so I
> guess a defect on both of them is really rare too. I think that I am
> forgetting something or doing something wrong.
>
> I plug in the JR into the LISA M Output and turn the Transmitter, Receiver
> and LISA M on. After that I connect the power of the ESC which is hooked up
> with the Engine. But no sound or anything else....
>
> Anyone any suggestions on that?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

notoriou5
Hi everyone,

I figured out the ESC issue

Well, I got a lot of help of an electrical master engineer :D

The solution was, to power the ESC with an external Voltage of 5V. But seriously, which ESC needs an external Power Supply?! I have never seen one of those before. Well, at least the work (for now ;) @Oswald Berthold)

Now I try to tilt the servo with the Poti of the Spektrum Dx8. Anyone know how the command for this looks like?

 <subsystem name="radio_control" type="spektrum">
        <define name="RADIO_MODE"     value="RADIO_AUX1"/>
        <define name="???"                       value="RADIO_AUX3"/>
</subsystem>

So far, Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

Pascal Fust
Hi Kevin,
good to hear that you're successful now - at least it is now clear, why there is a VCC cable on those ESCs.
Regarding your Poti question: first you will need to define the channel of your poti in the Radio XML, although certain entries in the wiki state that you wouldn't need to. With the defined name ("function") of your channel you just adjust the entry in the servo drivers section in the airframe XML, where you define the output channel of your autopilot.

Cheers, Pascal

Hi everyone,

I figured out the ESC issue

Well, I got a lot of help of an electrical master engineer :D

The solution was, to power the ESC with an external Voltage of 5V. But
seriously, which ESC needs an external Power Supply?! I have never seen one
of those before. Well, at least the work (for now ;) @Oswald Berthold)

Now I try to tilt the servo with the Poti of the Spektrum Dx8. Anyone know
how the command for this looks like?

 <subsystem name="radio_control" type="spektrum">
        <define name="RADIO_MODE"     value="RADIO_AUX1"/>
        <define name="???"                       value="RADIO_AUX3"/>
</subsystem>

So far, Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

notoriou5
This post was updated on .
Hi Pascal,

yes, now I know why they put that additional VCC wire there :D

Thanks for explaining how to do the Servotilting with the AUX, but I have several problems:

At first, here is the relevant part of the code: http://pastebin.com/mAkKnzpg

1) It seems that my no 6 and 7 (PINs 7 and 8 on the LISA M Board) do not work. Everytime I hook up the servo on them I don't get a sound (slightly noise from the gears). On no 0 to 5 it works fine. Do I maybe have to activate something in addition to use the last two ones as well? ANSWERED: <define name="USE_SERVOS_7AND8"/> :D

2)  I put in following for trying:
<set servo="TILT" value="@AUX3"/>
the AUX3 comes from the spektrum.xml file. But I always get the Error it is not declared. I checked the spektrum.xml file but I do not really understand how to declare it. Seems like it is always declared. Any guess what could be wrong there?
EDIT: I put in this: <axis name="AUX3" failsafe_value="0"/> now I can compile but I still do not get a movement of the servo

Looking forward to a reply,

Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

Hi Kevin,

1)
On Lisa/M2 servos 7 and 8 are mapped to I2C1 per default, see note in
https://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Lisa/M_v2.0#Pinout (maybe not
prominent enough...?)

2)
First of all the is always RC -> COMMANDS -> SERVOS, you can't skip
commands (you might map a command directly to a RC input though or do
some mixing/scaling/etc. first)
Secondly spektrum doesn't need nor use the xml file, see also
https://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Subsystem/radio_control#Spektrum

Cheers, Felix

Btw, feel free to improve the wiki where you feel it's lacking

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 3:41 PM, notoriou5
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Pascal,
>
> yes, now I know why they put that additional VCC wire there :D
>
> Thanks for explaining how to do the Servotilting with the AUX, but I have
> several problems:
>
> At first, here is the relevant part of the code:
> http://pastebin.com/mAkKnzpg
>
> *1)* It seems that my no 6 and 7 (PINs 7 and 8 on the LISA M Board) do not
> work. Everytime I hook up the servo on them I don't get a sound (slightly
> noise from the gears). On no 0 to 5 it works fine. Do I maybe have to
> activate something in addition to use the last two ones as well?
>
> *2) * I put in following for trying:
> <set servo="TILT" value="@AUX3"/>
> the AUX3 comes from the spektrum.xml file. But I always get the Error it is
> not declared. I checked the spektrum.xml file but I do not really understand
> how to declare it. Seems like it is always declared. Any guess what could be
> wrong there?
>
> Looking forward to a reply,
>
> Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

Pascal Fust
Hi Kevin,
point *1)*
for the servos 7 & 8, there's a special issue on the Lisa M boards, as mentioned in the wiki. First, pins 7 & 8 are directly linked to the I2C1 connector, which means, that you cannot use both at the same time. As stated there "...To use the servos 7 and 8 just set the <define name="USE_SERVOS_7AND8"/> in your airframe file and you are good to go...". Not sure, if you got that one in your airframe XML.

[...]

Hi Guys,

I read the LISA M page but I must have skipped the part with Servo 7 and 8. Well, I guess it is just a lot of information when you start with paparazzi first time. But thanks to a lot of help from you guys I get slowly used to it.

I will also write a summary on how to work with Paparazzi for my University, so I will definitely see if I can add some more information in the wiki regarding the problems I had.

I am still not sure if I understood how to make the AUX3 channel work with the receiver but I will play around a bit and see what I can do. I will get to you if I can not figure it out at all.
EDIT: So I really do not understand it... I put in this command:
<set servo="TILT" value="@AUX3"/>
And somehow this does not work. I tried it with @PITCH and it works perfectly fine. Why can I not access the AUX3 switch this way? The AUX3 is just another channel on the Radio, so I guess it can not be to complicated to access it.

I have another question regarding the simulation in Paparazzi:

Is it possible to give information like the m
easurements, CoG, EngineThrust,... to Paparazzi for the Simulation? Or can I "only" check my control algorithmus on a preconfigured airplane or quad?

Another thing is, that I can not really start my simulation, I compile and start but the GCS stays empty:

I guess I forgot a module or maybe some line of code in the xml file. But I can not figure out which. Maybe it is really obvious and you could point it out to me?

Thanks a lot and happy coding,

Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

Hi Kevin,

about the NPS simulator: https://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/NPS

Seems you have something wrong in your JSBSIM_MODEL file, you can see
that the sim exited with "FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found
for ..."
Did you make a model for your tiltrotor?

Cheers, Felix

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 1:29 PM, notoriou5
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I read the LISA M page but I must have skipped the part with Servo 7 and 8.
> Well, I guess it is just a lot of information when you start with paparazzi
> first time. But thanks to a lot of help from you guys I get slowly used to
> it.
>
> I will also write a summary on how to work with Paparazzi for my University,
> so I will definitely see if I can add some more information in the wiki
> regarding the problems I had.
>
> I am still not sure if I understood how to make the AUX3 channel work with
> the receiver but I will play around a bit and see what I can do. I will get
> to you if I can not figure it out at all.
>
> I have another question regarding the simulation in Paparazzi:
>
> Is it possible to give information like the measurements, CoG,
> EngineThrust,... to Paparazzi for the Simulation? Or can I "only" check my
> control algorithmus on a preconfigured airplane or quad?
>
> Another thing is, that I can not really start my simulation, I compile and
> start but the GCS stays empty:
>
> <http://lists.paparazziuav.org/file/n17936/simulation.png>
>
> I guess I forgot a module or maybe some line of code in the xml file. But I
> can not figure out which. Maybe it is really obvious and you could point it
> out to me?
>
> Thanks a lot and happy coding,
>
> Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

notoriou5
@ Felix: what exactly do you mean with a model? I guess a mathematical one?  But in which format? And how to implement it in Paparazzi? Sorry, lots of question at once.

Have a nice Sunday,

Kevin

PS: I still could not figure out to use my AUX3 Channel for  a Servo movement. Pitch works for example. Just the AUX3 does not...

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

Hi Kevin,

yes, In order to simulate an aircraft, you need a mathematical model for it.
The JSBSim FDM back end of NPS uses XML files to describe the aircraft (set via NPS_JSBSIM_MODEL).
So you need to create such a model (in conf/simulator/jsbsim/aircraft), refer to JSBSim docs on how to create JSBSim models.

Regarding AUX3: as I said you have to first create a command, then assign this command to a servo, see https://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Airframe_Configuration#Commands
e.g.
add servo named BAR
<servos>
  <servo name="BAR" no="5" min="1000" neutral="1000" max="2000"/>
</servos>

add command named FOO
<commands>
  <axis name="FOO" failsafe_value="0"/>
</commands>

assign command FOO to servo BAR
<command_laws>
  <set servo="BAR" value="@FOO"/>
</command_laws>

set command FOO to value of radio AUX3 channel
<rc_commands>
  <set command="FOO" value="@AUX3"/>
</rc_commands>

Cheers, Felix

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 5:02 PM, notoriou5 <[hidden email]> wrote:
@ Felix: what exactly do you mean with a model? I guess a mathematical one?
But in which format? And how to implement it in Paparazzi? Sorry, lots of
question at once.

Have a nice Sunday,

Kevin

PS: I still could not figure out to use my AUX3 Channel for  a Servo
movement. Pitch works for example. Just the AUX3 does not...

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

notoriou5
Thanks a lot Felix,

it is working perfectly. It did not know the part about the rc_commands. I was trying to put it in the subsystem with the radio_control.

I will probably write a little Tutorial on that later. I guess a lot of beginners would be interested in it.

So far,

Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

notoriou5
Hello everyone,

the days are getting warmer and the project moves forward. The tilt-function of the front engine works great, thanks to all of you guys. Here is a link to a short video:

https://fh-aachen.sciebo.de/index.php/s/YaCeEapnisiy67w

Sadly HK send me wrong ESC's so I have to get some new ones. As soon as they arrive I can test the rig in normal tricopter style. I probably have to adjust the PID Parameters for that.

As soon as it flies I will start with the transition. I already got some ideas in mind how it could work :D. I think I will "just" write my own CONTROL-File for that. I think if I just write the Guidance part, the transition will not work with the stabilization part behind it. What are your thoughts on that?

I keep you updatet,

Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

notoriou5
Hello together,

The Quad is completely build and the hardware seems to work so far. It does not really fly yet (in RC_DIRECT), but I think I need to readjust the Motor-Matrix because my CoG is a bit out of place. And I use two different engines which makes it hard to get the right values for the Matrix. I am just trying out right now by uploading new ones and testing it. But I am positive I will get it to fly soon.

Currently I have a problem with my LISA M Controller. I always need to ground the ADC2 Pin in order to not get into the bootloader modus. Before, it only started bootloader when connected to USB, at the moment also when just connected to the battery. Well, it works but it is kind of annoying to always take out the grounding connection before uploading. Anyone had the same problems before?

So far,

Kevin

Re: Tiltrotor-Project

Nicolas Quendez
Yes, I had the same problem before. Please see the answers from Piotr (I think he’s OK for me to publish his answer here…)  and description of my problem below.
I never changed the diode as if was OK for me to connect GND to ADC2 for my precise application (not on a UAV).

Best regards
Nicolas

Piotr,

It seems that I have 5V on the USB_VBUS line… so Vin ! (I measured this USB_VBUS line not directly on the USB port but on the free « connection holes»  under the board where it is written USB, I imagine it is the same, I measured between the first and last hole).
Please note that this problem appeared after few tests, but was not present at the beginning (the board was working perfectly).

Adding a jumper between GND and ADC2 solves the problem, thanks a lot, it is more convenient for me to present the board.
But have you any idea about what could have happened ?

Best regards
Nicolas

Dear Piotr,

I think my Lisa board is dying step by step, at least around the USB alimentation…
Until now, when I plugged the USB cable, everything was OK. Now, nothing happens : the USB does not power on the board anymore.

So I have to power on the board (not from USB), in this case it is in luftboot mode (always, if I do not connect the GND and ADC2), and then I can upload the firmware from the USB !

Have you an idea about what happens to the board ? Some components failures ?

Best regards
Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

This sounds like the zener diode D3 connecting the power from the USB to the main power system is doing things that it should not. You could try to temporarily bypass that component and see if that works. It is normally there to protect the USB connector in case you power the Lisa/M from more than 5V power sourcew at the same time while USB is plugged in. Also it prevents the CPU to think that the USB is plugged in, while you are powering it from external power source, and USB is not plugged in. Both symptoms you describe, going in boot loader while applying external power and not getting power to the system from USB, point to that component. You should be able to easily replace that part by swapping it with another .7 dropout zener diode in an 0603 package.

I have attached a picture highlighting the part in question with a red circle.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Piotr

Le 6 mai 2016 à 11:49, notoriou5 <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

thanks a lot, that is exactly my case. But it seems like a lot of work and a bit risky to change this small piece. I will probably just plug in the Connector for now. Maybe I find someone who is capable of soldering SMD's  in the future.

But thanks anyway,

Kevin
12