Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)

Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)

Aka-7
Hi,

did a long test flight yesterday with results probably interesting and related to some previous issues...

Setup: Easystar, Lisa/M 2, UBlox Lea-4, Eagletree Speed on I2C2."Old control"

1. Probably most interesting because related to recent discussions: Pitch loop. I started manually and commanded to home circle. Altitude hold was really bad, looking at the data, there is a phase offset from desired climb to desired pitch which led to huge oscillation around desired altitude. Looking at the code, I think the reason are the integrators of the auto pitch loop winding up and taking time to desaturate.. The values of the integrators (limits in the code, not gains) seem quite high. Is this dependant on control frequency?
1.a There is no setting file for airspeed in "old control" (like basic_airspeed). I wrote one, probably should be integrated?
Should "new control" perform better anyway? Then it should/could be made standard in the example airframes, which it is not at the moment...

2. The Airspeed sensor works on the I2C2 port with 3.3V (also written in the specs). But initialisation seems to be a problem. Only after (Luftboot)programming, the sensor delivers data. If I just plug the battery in, airspeed is constant 8.. Sensor display shows numbers like usual. Should there be some kind of pause in the ETS init? Or is this an I2C related problem?

3. The V_BATT voltage reading was wrong with the standard conversion value. I had to alter it from 0.00485*adc to 0.00459*adc. Were there different values of resistors in the production in the voltage divider?

4 GPS... The performance of the Lea-4 (navilock module) seems to be much worse with the configuration of the gps_ubx_ucenter.xml module compared to the offboard configuration with the conf/gps/ublox_conf.c. Especially altitude is drifting like crazy and z_dot looks bad (most times close to 0 and not fitting to the actual altitude changes). The differences seem to be Airborne 2G instead 4G and EGNOS activated. I will check this in future flights but confirmation of this issue by others would be good.

The Easystar really showed its forgiving nature in this flight. It was the first flight with Airspeed and all the tuning could be done in auto2 without switching back (20 minutes) :-) Looked crazy in the air, but never unstable.

Cheers

Marc

Re: Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)

Christophe De Wagter
Dear Marc,

thanks for your feedback:

1. Probably most interesting because related to recent discussions: Pitch loop. I started manually and commanded to home circle. Altitude hold was really bad, looking at the data, there is a phase offset from desired climb to desired pitch which led to huge oscillation around desired altitude. Looking at the code, I think the reason are the integrators of the auto pitch loop winding up and taking time to desaturate.. The values of the integrators (limits in the code, not gains) seem quite high. Is this dependant on control frequency?
1.a There is no setting file for airspeed in "old control" (like basic_airspeed). I wrote one, probably should be integrated?
Should "new control" perform better anyway? Then it should/could be made standard in the example airframes, which it is not at the moment...

The old control is indeed quite poor and probably sufficient in some cases but certainly not all. There is a new control loop and even a total energy control loop in the tudelft/tudelft4.0 branch and already in the paparazzi/master. We are all working very hard to finish the code and significantly upgrade paparazzi.

2. The Airspeed sensor works on the I2C2 port with 3.3V (also written in the specs). But initialisation seems to be a problem. Only after (Luftboot)programming, the sensor delivers data. If I just plug the battery in, airspeed is constant 8.. Sensor display shows numbers like usual. Should there be some kind of pause in the ETS init? Or is this an I2C related problem?

This problem is also known and a hacked solution is also in the tudelft/tudelft4.0/sw/airborne/arch/stm32/mcu_periph/i2c_arch.c

3. The V_BATT voltage reading was wrong with the standard conversion value. I had to alter it from 0.00485*adc to 0.00459*adc. Were there different values of resistors in the production in the voltage divider?

Known issue. Fixed at several places in downstream code. Will be released soon.

4 GPS... The performance of the Lea-4 (navilock module) seems to be much worse with the configuration of the gps_ubx_ucenter.xml module compared to the offboard configuration with the conf/gps/ublox_conf.c. Especially altitude is drifting like crazy and z_dot looks bad (most times close to 0 and not fitting to the actual altitude changes). The differences seem to be Airborne 2G instead 4G and EGNOS activated. I will check this in future flights but confirmation of this issue by others would be good.

This one is actually interesting: we would like feedback on which modes perform well on which hardware. then the module can configure depending on the hardware.

Re: Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)

Tilman Baumann-3
On 10/09/12 17:46, Christophe De Wagter wrote:
Dear Marc,

thanks for your feedback:

2. The Airspeed sensor works on the I2C2 port with 3.3V (also written in the specs). But initialisation seems to be a problem. Only after (Luftboot)programming, the sensor delivers data. If I just plug the battery in, airspeed is constant 8.. Sensor display shows numbers like usual. Should there be some kind of pause in the ETS init? Or is this an I2C related problem?

This problem is also known and a hacked solution is also in the tudelft/tudelft4.0/sw/airborne/arch/stm32/mcu_periph/i2c_arch.c

I tried the same thing. But no luck for me. (In fact the file was already the same in my git checkout)
I also observe a static airspeed value in the messages (15m/s).
But I don't even see it working with going through luftboot first.

   <load name="airspeed_ets.xml">
      <define name="AIRSPEED_ETS_I2C_DEV" value="i2c1"/>
    </load>

    <target name="ap"             board="lisa_m_2.0">
      <define name="USE_I2C1"/>
      <define name="USE_AIRSPEED"/>
    </target>

Any tips on how I should debug that?

PS: My code is on github.com:tbaumann/paparazzi.git
Pulled from v4.0 with basically just my airframe changes added conf/airframes/examples/bixler_lisa_m_2.xml

On 19/09/12 22:05, Tilman Baumann wrote:
On 10/09/12 17:46, Christophe De Wagter wrote:
Dear Marc,

thanks for your feedback:

2. The Airspeed sensor works on the I2C2 port with 3.3V (also written in the specs). But initialisation seems to be a problem. Only after (Luftboot)programming, the sensor delivers data. If I just plug the battery in, airspeed is constant 8.. Sensor display shows numbers like usual. Should there be some kind of pause in the ETS init? Or is this an I2C related problem?

This problem is also known and a hacked solution is also in the tudelft/tudelft4.0/sw/airborne/arch/stm32/mcu_periph/i2c_arch.c

I tried the same thing. But no luck for me. (In fact the file was already the same in my git checkout)
I also observe a static airspeed value in the messages (15m/s).
But I don't even see it working with going through luftboot first.
I forgot to mention. The Eagletree module flashes 3-4-2

Re: Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)

Aka-7
Hi Tilman,

the only difference seems to be the I2C Port..
Can you quickly change to port 2 for a test?

Regarding going through luftboot just to check, my timing is: Attach programming wire, power on (luftbook blink sequence running), load firmwire, while that is happening unplug programming wire, system is running...

Power off, power on, ETS shows static value...

Another thing Felix told me to try some days ago was to insert an initialisation delay to the ETS code like already implemented in the mkk controllers (sw/airborne/firmwares/rotorcraft/actuators/actuators_mkk.c), since the problem looked similar. I will not be able to test in the next time, prbably you can?

Hope we get that running...

Cheers

Marc

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

On 19/09/12 23:00, Marc Schwarzbach wrote:
> Hi Tilman,
>
> the only difference seems to be the I2C Port..
> Can you quickly change to port 2 for a test?
Doh! Sorry, I just had a facepalm moment.

I thought the port numbers where 0 indexed. I had it on I2C2 actually.

What a fail. Sorry to bother you.

> Regarding going through luftboot just to check, my timing is: Attach programming wire, power on (luftbook blink sequence running), load firmwire, while that is happening unplug programming wire, system is running...
>
> Power off, power on, ETS shows static value...
>
> Another thing Felix told me to try some days ago was to insert an initialisation delay to the ETS code like already implemented in the mkk controllers (sw/airborne/firmwares/rotorcraft/actuators/actuators_mkk.c), since the problem looked similar. I will not be able to test in the next time, prbably you can?
Probably.

Re: Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)

agressiva
Some time ago my AirSpeed ETS only show constant values and i put a delay in start sequence then this problem are solved.

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:50:45 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)
>
> On 19/09/12 23:00, Marc Schwarzbach wrote:
> > Hi Tilman,
> >
> > the only difference seems to be the I2C Port..
> > Can you quickly change to port 2 for a test?
> Doh! Sorry, I just had a facepalm moment.
>
> I thought the port numbers where 0 indexed. I had it on I2C2 actually.
>
> What a fail. Sorry to bother you.
> >
> > Regarding going through luftboot just to check, my timing is: Attach programming wire, power on (luftbook blink sequence running), load firmwire, while that is happening unplug programming wire, system is running...
> >
> > Power off, power on, ETS shows static value...
> >
> > Another thing Felix told me to try some days ago was to insert an initialisation delay to the ETS code like already implemented in the mkk controllers (sw/airborne/firmwares/rotorcraft/actuators/actuators_mkk.c), since the problem looked similar. I will not be able to test in the next time, prbably you can?
> Probably.

Re: Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)

Hi Eduardo,

it would be great if you could make a pull request with that!

Cheers, Felix

On 20/09/12 09:50, Tilman Baumann wrote:
>> Another thing Felix told me to try some days ago was to insert an
>> initialisation delay to the ETS code like already implemented in the
>> mkk controllers
>> (sw/airborne/firmwares/rotorcraft/actuators/actuators_mkk.c), since
>> the problem looked similar. I will not be able to test in the next
>> time, prbably you can?
>
> Probably.
Worked out of the box for me. v4.0 branch

Re: Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)

agressiva
Some time it initialize OK some time not.
Take too mach care or you have problem in the flight as i have some months ago.

On 20/09/12 20:55, Eduardo lavratti wrote:
Some time it initialize OK some time not.
Take too mach care or you have problem in the flight as i have some months ago.

If you archived some more stable behaviour, we would definitely be interested in the changes you made.
If you don't want to put it on git. just describe what you did or post a patch file.

Thanks
 Tilman

Re: Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)

agressiva
Felix, i dont put this code on me gitr because my code is ridiculous.
i am tried the same code used on actuator delay but it not worked then i do a for next loop inside airspeed_ets driver initialization.

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 12:57:28 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)