Telemetry Broadcast Over LAN

Luke Ionno
Hi!

I am investigating what would be involved in broadcasting the Paparazzi
telemetry messages on a LAN...  In a nutshell, I'd like to connect a second
computer to the Paparazzi GCS via Ethernet/WiFi, and forward it some (or
all) of the telemetry messages received by the GCS, for use in an external
algorithm running on the second machine.  From what I'm reading here
(http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Installation/RaspberryPi, bottom of the
page), it sounds like some of that capability already exists?  (Is there a
dedicated Paparazzi agent for network forwarding?)  Any advice/pointers
would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Luke

Re: Telemetry Broadcast Over LAN

Chris Gough-2
Hi Luke,

Maybe I'm not getting it, why can't you just run the server on a routable IP address (-b "address:port") and connect to it from your agent on the other machine? I don't understand why you would need a forwarding agent or anything like that.

Chris Gough

On 29/10/2013, at 9:06 AM, "Luke Ionno" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am investigating what would be involved in broadcasting the Paparazzi
> telemetry messages on a LAN...  In a nutshell, I'd like to connect a second
> computer to the Paparazzi GCS via Ethernet/WiFi, and forward it some (or
> all) of the telemetry messages received by the GCS, for use in an external
> algorithm running on the second machine.  From what I'm reading here
> (http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Installation/RaspberryPi, bottom of the
> page), it sounds like some of that capability already exists?  (Is there a
> dedicated Paparazzi agent for network forwarding?)  Any advice/pointers
> would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Luke

Re: Telemetry Broadcast Over LAN

Luke Ionno
I guess that's exactly what I was asking, is it really that simple?  If so,
then I believe I'm all set.

Thanks!

-Luke

Maybe I'm not getting it, why can't you just run the server on a routable IP
address (-b "address:port") and connect to it from your agent on the other
machine? I don't understand why you would need a forwarding agent or
anything like that.

Chris Gough

On 29/10/2013, at 9:06 AM, "Luke Ionno" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am investigating what would be involved in broadcasting the
> Paparazzi telemetry messages on a LAN...  In a nutshell, I'd like to
> connect a second computer to the Paparazzi GCS via Ethernet/WiFi, and
> forward it some (or
> all) of the telemetry messages received by the GCS, for use in an
> external algorithm running on the second machine.  From what I'm
> reading here (http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Installation/RaspberryPi,
> bottom of the page), it sounds like some of that capability already
> exists?  (Is there a dedicated Paparazzi agent for network
> forwarding?)  Any advice/pointers would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Luke

Re: Telemetry Broadcast Over LAN

Stephen Dwyer
Hello Luke,

Yes, it is that simple. The ivy bus works on whatever subnet you set as the ivy bus ip address, and port. I have tested over a basic home local network with two computers and a router, as well as using agents running in both a linux virtual machine and an OS X host. Recently I tried out a vpn using OpenVPN, but couldn't get it working out of the box. We suspect it may require a TAP interface instead of a TUN interface. Maybe someone else who has done this can shed more light. Hopefully it doesn't need more than that (i.e. custom routing and such).

Just make sure to set your ivy bus ip appropriately. Using ivyprobe can help debug problems. For example: $ ivyprobe -b XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:PPPP "(.*)"
will print out all ivy messages on the bus XX....
Ivyprobe takes regular expressions so it is easy to filter out whatever message you are interested in.

Thanks,
-Stephen Dwyer