Serpentine vs Straight line flight

John Koches
Gentleman,

I have found some help in finishing the tiny board, which is good news.  Four seniors from our engineering school have joined my development team.  They seem pretty excited about flying a robot plane!  I went ahead and bought a TwinStar II just to make it a little easier to test the new board.   I am still working on my Aerosonde look alike...it is about 80 percent complete.

Today's question, what makes the TJ1 fly with a serpentine pattern while the Mj5 seems to fly in a straight line path in your simulation demonstration.  I assume it is something in the airframe file, but I don't know what I am looking for.  Again, whatever help you can give would be most appreciated.  And thanks again for all of your assistance!!!

jkk

Re: Serpentine vs Straight line flight

Pascal Brisset-3
Hi John,

the awfull navigation of TJ1 in the simulation comes from a too high
navigation gain, called "course pgain". This coefficient says how much
you have to roll (in radian) for a given route error (in radian). With a
coefficient equal to 0.5, if you go north and you want to go east, it's
a pi/2 route error, you get a pi/4 roll command to the right.
 The TJ1 course pgain coefficient is equal to -0.9 and is fine for
actual flight. But since the simulation provides a poor model of the
aircraft, this coefficient has to be a lot smaller (around -0.3). You
can set it during the flight  (settings/control/nav course_pgain) and/or
in the airframe file (twinjet1.xml, COURSE_PGAIN).

--Pascal