Re : diydrones.com: PAPARAZZI UAV ON PIXHAWK TEASER

Re : diydrones.com: PAPARAZZI UAV ON PIXHAWK TEASER

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Strange post. Seems to come from Delft, did someone get into contact with them? If we make a global reply, you can add my name to the signing if needed. Unfortunately I don't have much internet access time.

Gautier

Envoyé depuis mon mobile Orange

Re: Re : diydrones.com: PAPARAZZI UAV ON PIXHAWK TEASER

onefastdaddy
Interesting, I just read the DIY posts.
My first reaction though is not a surprise. Ardupilot people are
easily upset and predominately Americans who are easily upset. As an
American who has traveled extensively I see it very clearly now.

Having met the TUDelft people personally I know they would have no
intention of posting anything in a way to upset anyone. I'm taken back
really the depths the mob came out to burn the orig. poster at the
stake for the well intended but badly translated message.

I have been burned many times at the stake by the same mob over the
years since 2007. The posts that were not deleted off DIYDrones site
remain on RCGroups.com site. Anything critical, even implied via the
reader not writer, is attacked with venom. Just their way. I don't
judge them as bad I only know you must handle them with extreme care.

I will say, even offer, that English is my first language and I have
been at this since 2007 watching and interacting with all the major
players online. I know this group well from personal experiences. On
RCGroups from the very top of 3DR and DIY they monitor the threads and
redirect all new posters over to DIY websites where the content is
strictly controlled to be pro Ardupilot and 3DR.

If the mob had turned against DIY or 3DR the thread would be quickly
closed, content removed/edited. There's a long history of that there.
It is why I really hesitate to go there or post there. RCGroups is a
much friendlier place to have non-3DR non-Ardupilot related discussion
but just expect the usual redirection posts saying to go to DIYDrones
site by those monitoring and wanting more business driven over to
there. It gets hostile there also but it's a lot better than DIY.

The bigger question to be asked I think is why do we continue to want
the blessing of DIY? By every measure I think matters Paparazzi
Project is a huge global success. So why would something so obviously
successful on every measure other than financial to go there to
interact with them? I encourage everyone in the developer's list to
realize this success requires no affirmation from that mob. The only
place financial success is glorified is in America and nothing
reinforces that like what you see happen in that post. There is a
saying, belief in America that the only truly sacred thing is someones
financial position. Never attack someones paycheck or ability to grow
theirs. When an American feels that threatened look out.

Why do I write this?  Well, same reason I am still here. Why I still
would hand solder Paparazzi hardware in quantities of 1,2,3 or so for
zero profit. Because I do not need affirmation from anyone it's the
right thing to do or that I'm a success measured in dollars. I feel
very successful to still offer myself and Paparazzi hardware to anyone
even if they only want a single one. PPZUAV (my company) is
self-funded and always will be. Sure, once a long time ago there was
that window of opportunity before DIY corporation was born but I have
no regrets keeping PPZUAV completely under my control and financially
independent. I have zero debt. I always have, personally and the
company.

I want never at any time to make choices aimed only at financial gain
or ego. I see the mess it causes and how financial success is an empty
path unless it is found by accident or as a secondary unintended
consequence of just being very good at what you do. Meaning to be
financially successful simply by doing what is correct and right
morally and for the planet is a very good thing and I endorse it
completely. However, to have a company created only to make a profit
is a difficult path with much peril for those who walk it. I make no
condemnation of anyone doing it.

In my eyes the core that started Paparazzi is still alive as a
separate thing that has no consideration for monetary gain. Everyone
who does Paparazzi should have another source of income to keep this
separation. Paparazzi by just existing still after all these years is
the truest form of affirmation. I really encourage all involved to
think hard about real success and focus on encouraging each other and
helping each other because no one from 3DR or DIY will ever seem to
change. I just had a friend tell me they read in WIred Magazine that a
person we all know claims they invented the drone revolution...no not
Al Gore but you're getting warm. ;)

The best way to grow Paparazzi is to continue doing what you do and
know that success matters in what you do not what you say or how much
profit you make doing it. This is to me a wonderful chance to stop and
look at each other, smile and be happy we have each other and look to
so many more years of success in research, sciences, and thing that
matter for the planet that needs us more than ever right now. Do not
seek anything from DIY crowd as it's an empty path to join or be a
part of something that measures success purely as units sold and
dollars made.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:28 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Strange post. Seems to come from Delft, did someone get into contact with
> them? If we make a global reply, you can add my name to the signing if
> needed. Unfortunately I don't have much internet access time.
>
> Gautier
>
> Envoyé depuis mon mobile Orange

http://www.ppzuav.com

Re: Re : diydrones.com: PAPARAZZI UAV ON PIXHAWK TEASER

Chris Gough-2
APM/Ardupilot and 3DR are going through some kind of divorce at the moment. It's quite possible that commercial bias will fade quickly from that community.

Chris Gough

> [...]
>
> The best way to grow Paparazzi is to continue doing what you do and
> know that success matters in what you do not what you say or how much
> profit you make doing it. This is to me a wonderful chance to stop and
> look at each other, smile and be happy we have each other and look to
> so many more years of success in research, sciences, and thing that
> matter for the planet that needs us more than ever right now. Do not
> seek anything from DIY crowd as it's an empty path to join or be a
> part of something that measures success purely as units sold and
> dollars made.
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:28 AM, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Strange post. Seems to come from Delft, did someone get into contact with
>> them? If we make a global reply, you can add my name to the signing if
>> needed. Unfortunately I don't have much internet access time.

David,

I don't believe that...

There are lots of great people and projects out there (and yes that includes the DIY drones crowd!).
And most of them don't have financial goals in mind, but rather are Open Source Enthusiasts as well!
They make cool stuff and share it with the world, just like us... isn't that enough?

And just because there was some bad blood in a few DIY drones discussions in the past, that doesn't mean that goes for everyone there or that is has to continue in that vein.
Why should the interaction with other people sharing the same passions (Drones) that just happen to use other hardware/software be be avoided?
If the discussions are conducted on an open minded and friendly level everyone benefits!

I can't blame anyone for being upset or irritated by the post, since I am too!

Let's please just try not to go down the road of insinuations, boisterous claims and weird comparisons. Stay on the level of actual facts.

There is already enough subtext/context lost in textual communication, so everyone should take extra care with the tone of messages.
Also the other way round: it's easy to read something into a message that wasn't intended by the poster, so if in doubt err on the positive/nice side.

Flame wars, more or less hidden accusations and angry messages don't benefit anyone and are just totally counter-productive and tiresome. We should all hold ourselves to higher standards than that. And often we just have to agree that we disagree on things... and that's fine.

I feel the Paparazzi UAV community is a generally a very friendly, helpful and open minded bunch and we should conduct ourselves in that way regardless with whom we interact.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers, Felix

http://www.ppzuav.com

Re: Re : diydrones.com: PAPARAZZI UAV ON PIXHAWK TEASER

onefastdaddy
Felix,
There must be a translation error here. Maybe something to learn like
we did from the DIY post.
David

http://www.ppzuav.com

Re: Re : diydrones.com: PAPARAZZI UAV ON PIXHAWK TEASER

onefastdaddy
Let me be direct.
There is the Left, the Right and the middle. I seek always the middle.
Am I a human who falls short absolutely. Hence I am trying to be very
direct.
-David

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 3:11 PM, David Conger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> think hard about real success and focus on encouraging each other and
>>> helping each other because no one from 3DR or DIY will ever seem to
>>> change. I just had a friend tell me they read in WIred Magazine that a
>>> person we all know claims they invented the drone revolution...no not
>>> Al Gore but you're getting warm. ;)
>>>
>>> The best way to grow Paparazzi is to continue doing what you do and
>>> know that success matters in what you do not what you say or how much
>>> profit you make doing it. This is to me a wonderful chance to stop and
>>> look at each other, smile and be happy we have each other and look to
>>> so many more years of success in research, sciences, and thing that
>>> matter for the planet that needs us more than ever right now. Do not
>>> seek anything from DIY crowd as it's an empty path to join or be a
>>> part of something that measures success purely as units sold and

http://www.ppzuav.com

Re: Re : diydrones.com: PAPARAZZI UAV ON PIXHAWK TEASER

I guess my post is mostly a general statement as opposed to a direct reply to your message...

http://www.ppzuav.com

Re: Re : diydrones.com: PAPARAZZI UAV ON PIXHAWK TEASER

onefastdaddy
Ok, that helps me understand it. It seemed very personal.

I saw that OP on DIY and had no strong feelings at all about the OP
message. I really am surprised anyone has such strong feelings about
it. I didn't.

No one should every had strong feelings about anything I write. Ever.
I will promise to work on that.

I must admit I'm torn now about Paparazzi. I feel there is now a
Paparazzi looking for financial success measured in units sold,
paychecks, business success and a Paparazzi I knew that seemed
indifferent to these measures and just existed to exist. I seem to
align more with the one that just wants to exist.

David

http://www.ppzuav.com

Re: Re : diydrones.com: PAPARAZZI UAV ON PIXHAWK TEASER

Ok, that helps me understand it. It seemed very personal.

Sorry, I should have been more clear that the first two paragraphs were a reply to your post instead of just keep going on about the DIY drones post.
So the beginning was a reply to your remark why one would want to interact DIY drones.
And it has nothing to do with getting someone's blessing.

I saw that OP on DIY and had no strong feelings at all about the OP
message. I really am surprised anyone has such strong feelings about
it. I didn't.

OP?
I'm just annoyed that aggressive, boisterous and non-factual stuff is written in the whole Paparazzi team name.
That is what the rest of my previous message was about and it referred to the Pixhawk teaser DIY post.
Everyone is free to voice their opinion under their own name, although I'd much prefer if discussion wouldn't take such a tone.

No one should every had strong feelings about anything I write. Ever.
I will promise to work on that.

I must admit I'm torn now about Paparazzi. I feel there is now a
Paparazzi looking for financial success measured in units sold,
paychecks, business success and a Paparazzi I knew that seemed
indifferent to these measures and just existed to exist. I seem to
align more with the one that just wants to exist.

That's a strange leap... how do you come to that conclusion?

David

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Felix Ruess <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I guess my post is mostly a general statement as opposed to a direct reply
> to your message...
>
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 12:14 AM, David Conger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Let me be direct.
>> There is the Left, the Right and the middle. I seek always the middle.
>> Am I a human who falls short absolutely. Hence I am trying to be very
>> direct.
>> -David
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 3:11 PM, David Conger <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Felix,
>> > There must be a translation error here. Maybe something to learn like
>> > we did from the DIY post.
>> > David

http://www.ppzuav.com

Re: Re : diydrones.com: PAPARAZZI UAV ON PIXHAWK TEASER

Hector Garcia de Marina
David made his point indeed. It is a fact that DIYDrones is mostly the house of Ardupilot and later on 3DR (as Felix pointed it seems that now they are in some kind of "divorce").
However this is not about DIYDrones, their policy, culture or nationality. It is much more simple.

Imagine that somebody posts in this mailing list that X is better than PPZ on the ground of Linux vs Windows (or Barcelona vs Real Madrid). The guy signs in the name of X organization/group and it does not seems a fake.
What would you expect from that?

- In my case (and most of the people here I would say), I would not feel annoyed. I just will ignore it. But if the community is sufficiently big for sure there will be people that will feel annoyed. This is not a surprise in whatever forum you consider.
- If I belonged to such X group as an active member and somebody signs such a post on my behalf... well, I will feel annoyed for sure, since I will feel obligate to apologize in the forum. Nevertheless, I guess this is enough as a mature person will understand the situation.

No one should every had strong feelings about anything I write. Ever.
I will promise to work on that.

I must admit I'm torn now about Paparazzi. I feel there is now a
Paparazzi looking for financial success measured in units sold,
paychecks, business success and a Paparazzi I knew that seemed
indifferent to these measures and just existed to exist. I seem to
align more with the one that just wants to exist.

I cannot follow this logic. Of course there are people that try to make a business (why not?) from PPZ, but I do not see the other direction: Businesses are making PPZ?

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Felix Ruess <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, that helps me understand it. It seemed very personal.

Sorry, I should have been more clear that the first two paragraphs were a reply to your post instead of just keep going on about the DIY drones post.
So the beginning was a reply to your remark why one would want to interact DIY drones.
And it has nothing to do with getting someone's blessing.

I saw that OP on DIY and had no strong feelings at all about the OP
message. I really am surprised anyone has such strong feelings about
it. I didn't.

OP?
I'm just annoyed that aggressive, boisterous and non-factual stuff is written in the whole Paparazzi team name.
That is what the rest of my previous message was about and it referred to the Pixhawk teaser DIY post.
Everyone is free to voice their opinion under their own name, although I'd much prefer if discussion wouldn't take such a tone.

No one should every had strong feelings about anything I write. Ever.
I will promise to work on that.

I must admit I'm torn now about Paparazzi. I feel there is now a
Paparazzi looking for financial success measured in units sold,
paychecks, business success and a Paparazzi I knew that seemed
indifferent to these measures and just existed to exist. I seem to
align more with the one that just wants to exist.

That's a strange leap... how do you come to that conclusion?

David

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Felix Ruess <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I guess my post is mostly a general statement as opposed to a direct reply
> to your message...
>
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 12:14 AM, David Conger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Let me be direct.
>> There is the Left, the Right and the middle. I seek always the middle.
>> Am I a human who falls short absolutely. Hence I am trying to be very
>> direct.
>> -David
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 3:11 PM, David Conger <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Felix,
>> > There must be a translation error here. Maybe something to learn like
>> > we did from the DIY post.
>> > David

http://www.ppzuav.com

Héctor

Re: Re : diydrones.com: PAPARAZZI UAV ON PIXHAWK TEASER

onefastdaddy
It is not easy to convey an impression, and a bad idea to try and say
it to a large global audience.
I will be very direct.

 I am not passing judgement on good or bad right and wrong about
anyone anywhere or companies making or not making money doing this. I
can't explain my inability to get what I'm trying to say said so I
will stop.

I always have, still do believe, success in finances as a result of
good business practices is something to respect and learn from. Yes,
absolutely, and I see it all around me. I have and continue to endorse
every company around the world that offers and sells drone things. Yes
all of them. I have bought something from virtually all of them. I
have 3 Quadshots, I have many Lisa/m autopilots and Aspirin boards. I
have tried to in my own small (as in I have little money to spend) way
endorsed and supported all of you who make Paparazzi and non-paparazzi
things available the best way I know. Buying and using them.

I respect DIY, 3DR, and those individuals behind these rather large
corporate entities now. In my badly said way I was trying to make a
different point. Clearly. I really do swear to you all I want them all
to be successful, responsibly, and prosper. This is not a small planet
or full of small needs only a couple companies can fill. There are so
many needs to fill and so few companies around to fill them. I am not
speaking in negatives or trying to say anything more than the literal
words used. Many companies are successful because they care and act in
a positive way. If they didn't they wouldn't be successful.

Bottom line I take responsibility for my messages good and bad. Just
coming here now with new words isn't changing anything. I apologize
for what was said. A significant portion of my life has been spent at
a work table or computer working hard on Paparazzi things for other
people and I really need to let go of that personal attachment to
Paparazzi things. I guess that is my only explanation why I want to
rush to defend perceived wrongs against the project online. I will
stop, it's not my place to  speak in that way.

http://www.ppzuav.com