Re: IR resister swap, power supply, and video teleme try

Re: IR resister swap, power supply, and video teleme try

vespa@juno.com
John,

Glad to hear things are progressing for you.  The FMA sensor is
calibrated for 5V operation and the effect of running it at 3V is that
the amplifier gain nearly doubles.  To prevent sensor saturation in
high contrast environments we reduce the opamp gain by 50% by changing
one of the resistors.  This is done once per channel, so a total of 3
resistors are changed for a full xyz sensor setup.  This procedure is
not documented and I have never done it myself so I cannot tell you
what resistors or what values to change.  Hopefully one of the other
members will add instructions to the wiki.

A single battery is recommended for maximum reliability.  The
autopilot monitors the main battery voltage and warns the operator, or
even returns home to land when it gets dangerously low.  It will also
turn off the motor to preserve servo power and all of this behavior is
fully customizable.  You can certainly create a second voltage monitor
with one of the many available adc channels and add this data to your
telemetry downlink and GCS but I see no advantage.  Also, be warned
that stabilized flight results in a nearly constant movement of all
servos which can easily overheat the linear regulator in your esc.
This is the reason the Tiny is equipped with a robust switching
regulator that will not overheat even under maximum load with no
cooling.  Note: the Tiny has only been tested with 6-13V input and the
input caps C5 and C8 are only rated for 16V, so if your power system
is over 13V you will need to use a separate flight battery.  Tiny 2.0
will have an 18V maximum input.

The audio channel downlink is an alternative to the modem and is not
supported in Tiny 1.1 and later.  This is useful in extremely weight
critical systems as it eliminates the need for an onboard modem.  If
you intend to use a modem, which you should, none of this affects you
and you can use any video system you like, so long as it does not
share the same radio frequency as your modem.

Good luck!

Jeremy

We are moving along on our project, but I have some questions.

1.  I purchased the ready made FMA Direct IR Sensor.  Before I go opening up the case, the website (http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/wiki/index.php/Sensors) indicates that a "simple resister swap" is all that is required to make this device workable.  I assume you are talking about the sensor board.  Could you elaborate please.

2.  The general diagram showing the Tiny 13 v1.1 board (http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/wiki/index.php/Tiny)  indicates that the flight battery is split between the board and the ESC.  I assume you are talking about a y connection and not two separate batteries so that you can monitor voltage as part of your system operations.  Is this correct?  Is there a reason that I couldn't use two batteries and keep the motor systems separate?  Are there any advantages to this solution?  I realize that we are talking more weight now.

3.  I am confused regarding the need for modem and/or video transmitter.  It sounds like if you can live without a video camera, you can install a modem for data telemetry.  But if you want a video camera, you need to find a video transmitter that handles audio so that you can send telemetry down that side of the system.  I suppose you could have a separate video system with flight telemetry going through the Auto Pilot using both a modem and a video transmitter, but I don't think that is what is intended.  Like I said, I am a little confused and I just need some clarification before I start the development of my ground station.

Thanks in advance for your help.

jkk

LiveCD for paparazzi2 (flight controller hardware version 1.2.1)

Widyawardana Adiprawita
Dear All,

I want to start implementing paparazzi2 (flight
controller hardware version 1.2.1) because it's easier
to get the hardware components where I live.

I have downloaded the the LiveCD from
http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/paparazzix/paparazzix_3.1_RC2.iso

But I think it only supports the ARM processor.

So I think I should download the older LiveCD
somewhere... Anyone can help ?

Thank's

-doni-

RE: LiveCD for paparazzi2 (flight controller hardware version 1.2.1)

Nicolas Calderon-2
Hi Doni,
   Just to clarify a few things... Paparazzi2 is the old version of
paparazzi, but the newest version, paparazzi3, also support the older
hardware (as 1.2.1 boards). We had the same reflex of going for something
stable (pprz2), but you will probably find it easier to go directly with
pprz3 directly (it is more up-to-date, has a lot of enhancement, more
support).

   As for the LiveCD, I honestly didn't try it in a while as I have my local
installation of Debian. I am pretty sure the newest LiveCD can be used to
build paparazzi2 and to program the 1.2.1 board.

RE: LiveCD for paparazzi2 (flight controller hardware version 1.2.1)

Widyawardana Adiprawita
Dear Nicolas,

I go to the paparazzi irc channel, and met a few nice
guy (especially Anton, this is his login name, I don't
know his real name). He suggest me to install debian
and get the paparazzi using apt-get....

I've done it, and it turns out that Plaster1 aircraft
is an AVR system, so I think my problem is solved.

Right now I have to finish the hardware.

Thank's to you all

-doni-

--- Nicolas Calderon
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Doni,
>    Just to clarify a few things... Paparazzi2 is the
> old version of
> paparazzi, but the newest version, paparazzi3, also
> support the older
> hardware (as 1.2.1 boards). We had the same reflex
> of going for something
> stable (pprz2), but you will probably find it easier
> to go directly with
> pprz3 directly (it is more up-to-date, has a lot of
> enhancement, more
> support).
>
>    As for the LiveCD, I honestly didn't try it in a
> while as I have my local
> installation of Debian. I am pretty sure the newest
> LiveCD can be used to
> build paparazzi2 and to program the 1.2.1 board.

antoine.drouin
Hi Doni

I wouldn't advice to use an avr board - nobody is using that anymore and thus
this architecture is geting no test at all. Probably someday we'll discover that
one of the newly added feature is too "heavy" for the avr processor. Plus you'll
love flashing through USB.

If you're scared about soldering the fine pitch of the arm processor, you might
use a header board like this one
 http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-h2148.html
At 40$, this is unbeatable :)

If you add a commercial BEC as supply and a SAM module for the GPS, you'll end
up with something similar to a tiny.
On the header board, I would solder the crystal and remove the reset switch to
avoid any in flight accident.

hth

Poine

Selon Widyawardana Adiprawita <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Nicolas,
>
> I go to the paparazzi irc channel, and met a few nice
> guy (especially Anton, this is his login name, I don't
> know his real name). He suggest me to install debian
> and get the paparazzi using apt-get....
>
> I've done it, and it turns out that Plaster1 aircraft
> is an AVR system, so I think my problem is solved.
>
> Right now I have to finish the hardware.
>
> Thank's to you all
>
> -doni-
>
> --- Nicolas Calderon
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Doni,
> >    Just to clarify a few things... Paparazzi2 is the
> > old version of
> > paparazzi, but the newest version, paparazzi3, also
> > support the older
> > hardware (as 1.2.1 boards). We had the same reflex
> > of going for something
> > stable (pprz2), but you will probably find it easier
> > to go directly with
> > pprz3 directly (it is more up-to-date, has a lot of
> > enhancement, more
> > support).
> >
> >    As for the LiveCD, I honestly didn't try it in a
> > while as I have my local
> > installation of Debian. I am pretty sure the newest
> > LiveCD can be used to
> > build paparazzi2 and to program the 1.2.1 board.

Boris Bataille
Hi Poine !

Hey we are still using the avr board at SUPAERO... Well, in fact we are trying to switch to tiny so it is right to say nobody will be using avr board anymore.

I have a dumb question to ask: where is the USB interface on the tiny board?

See you

Boris

Hi Doni

I wouldn't advice to use an avr board - nobody is using that anymore and thus
this architecture is geting no test at all. Probably someday we'll discover that
one of the newly added feature is too "heavy" for the avr processor. Plus you'll
love flashing through USB.

If you're scared about soldering the fine pitch of the arm processor, you might
use a header board like this one
http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-h2148.html
At 40$, this is unbeatable :)

If you add a commercial BEC as supply and a SAM module for the GPS, you'll end
up with something similar to a tiny.
On the header board, I would solder the crystal and remove the reset switch to
avoid any in flight accident.

hth

Poine

Selon Widyawardana Adiprawita < [hidden email]>:

> Dear Nicolas,
>
> I go to the paparazzi irc channel, and met a few nice
> guy (especially Anton, this is his login name, I don't
> know his real name). He suggest me to install debian
> and get the paparazzi using apt-get....
>
> I've done it, and it turns out that Plaster1 aircraft
> is an AVR system, so I think my problem is solved.
>
> Right now I have to finish the hardware.
>
> Thank's to you all
>
> -doni-
>
> --- Nicolas Calderon
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Doni,
> >    Just to clarify a few things... Paparazzi2 is the
> > old version of
> > paparazzi, but the newest version, paparazzi3, also
> > support the older
> > hardware (as 1.2.1 boards). We had the same reflex
> > of going for something
> > stable (pprz2), but you will probably find it easier
> > to go directly with
> > pprz3 directly (it is more up-to-date, has a lot of
> > enhancement, more
> > support).
> >
> >    As for the LiveCD, I honestly didn't try it in a
> > while as I have my local
> > installation of Debian. I am pretty sure the newest
> > LiveCD can be used to
> > build paparazzi2 and to program the 1.2.1 board.

A+

Boris

Re: LiveCD for paparazzi2 (flight controller hardware version 1.2.1)

Pascal Brisset-3
Hi Boris,

> I have a dumb question to ask: where is the USB interface on the tiny
> board?

 On the SERIAL 2 connector
(http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/wiki/index.php/Tiny) : GND,
USB+, USB-, P0.23

--Pascal

Re: LiveCD for paparazzi2 (flight controller hardware version 1.2.1)

antoine.drouin
Hi Boris

> I have a dumb question to ask: where is the USB interface on the tiny board?

It's on the connector labeled "Serial2". The pins your interested in are called
USB+ and USB- ( number 8 and 9). Plus you'll need the pin labelled LPC_P0.23 to
trigger the USB bootloader

Seeya

Poine