Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

kyawkhaing
Hi all,
       I want to run paparazzi on STM32F4 Discovery + 10dof imu. Anyone could guide me how it to be done. I have read one email under "Paparazzi-devel" , the person name "Christ" had already done this.But I don't find any instruction and guide for this.

With regards,
Kyaw Khaing

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

James Hutton
Hi Kyaw,

I'm working on something similar. I bought the 10 dof IMU from Drotek in France, though there are apparently cheaper alternatives.

I installed paparazzi from source on a ubuntu VM, the instructions on the wiki were easy to follow. You need the paparazzi software, and an ARM toolchain and flash tool for the dev board all installed - I think the wiki covers this. Once that is complete, you can create an airframe xml file for the board, compile and upload that to the dev board (in the paparazzi centre). I have a very basic airframe file here https://github.com/cuaf/Paparazzi-Config which you could use as a basic example. It's set up for fixed wing with the STM32F4 Discovery and the 10 DoF IMU. It is mostly based on other examples, but at least compiles, provides telemetry information, data from the IMU, and expects PPM rc input.

To get telemetry from the board you need a USB-TTL converter (like the FTDI chips). These are really cheap. Hook it up to UART2 on the dev board (if you're using my example), or whatever port is specified as the MODEM_PORT in the config file. Then, in the paparazzi centre, run the "Flight-Serial USB 57600" and the ground station software will pop up. You can then run the "messages" program found under the "tools" menu of the paparazzi centre to view raw telemetry messages too. From here you can look at calibrating the IMU (look at the wiki), and setting up the board to read PPM inputs from your remote control (to read a PPM stream you need an extra 100-200 ohm resistor from the ppm input signal pin to ground - I was stuck on this for a couple of days).

That's as far as I've got, though it all seems to work so far. Next I need to put it in a plane and check servos etc. I'm going to test it with a Hobbyking Bixler 2.

Hope that helped, and good luck!
James.

On 20 Dec 2014, at 03:07, kyaw khaing <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,
       I want to run paparazzi on STM32F4 Discovery + 10dof imu. Anyone could guide me how it to be done. I have read one email under "Paparazzi-devel" , the person name "Christ" had already done this.But I don't find any instruction and guide for this.

With regards,
Kyaw Khaing

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

neofrommatrixold
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

Chris Efstathiou
Hi.
First of all i am not the Christ :-)
Discovery board works fine as a paparazzi autopilot.
For the wiring have a look at the "stm32f4_discovery.h" board header file located in paparazzi/sw/airborne/boards/
directory, where all the com, i2c, spi, analog, ppm input, servo etc. pins are assigned.
For the airframe configuration edit any stm32 based autopilot example airframe file but change the board type from
say
<target
name="ap" board="lisa_m_2.0"/>

<target
name="ap" board="stm32f4_discovery"/>

(replace the bord name wirh whatever name the board header file has minus the extension ".h" )
Thats it!
Chris

On 12/20/2014 5:07 AM, kyaw khaing wrote:
Hi all,
       I want to run paparazzi on STM32F4 Discovery + 10dof imu. Anyone could guide me how it to be done. I have read one email under "Paparazzi-devel" , the person name "Christ" had already done this.But I don't find any instruction and guide for this.

With regards,
Kyaw Khaing

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

kyawkhaing
Hi Chris,
       Thanks for your guidance . Sorry for my typo error of your name.I would like to ask you one thing is that is your way i sultable for quadcopter or plain.

With regards,
Kyaw Khaing

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

kyawkhaing
Hi James Hutton,
    Thanks for your details explanation and it helps me a lot.I would like to build quadcopter.

With regards ,
Kyaw Khaing

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

Chris Efstathiou
you can use it for both types but basically i use it on a large airplane.
The main problem for using it in a quadcopter i believe is the size of the board.
Chris

On 12/21/2014 1:28 PM, kyaw khaing wrote:
Hi Chris,
       Thanks for your guidance . Sorry for my typo error of your name.I would like to ask you one thing is that is your way i sultable for quadcopter or plain.

With regards,
Kyaw Khaing

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

Mattmax
Hello, I found this information, that you were talking about and I was looking to the wiring. But for there is a question left. Is that the normal configuration or are there some other files where the changes must be done.

Can I only load the configuration to a normal F4Discovery into the bootloader?

I hope you know what I mean. I wanna build an quadcopter with an F4Discovery board with many USART, so I found you openproject with the tht-board.

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

see https://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/STM32F4_Discovery for the default pin configuration.
If you want to change that, edit sw/airborne/boards/stm32f4_discovery.h

Hope that helps,
Felix

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Mattmax <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, I found this information, that you were talking about and I was
looking to the wiring. But for there is a question left. Is that the normal
configuration or are there some other files where the changes must be done.

Can I only load the configuration to a normal F4Discovery into the
bootloader?

I hope you know what I mean. I wanna build an quadcopter with an F4Discovery
board with many USART, so I found you openproject with the tht-board.

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

Mattmax
I don't want to change the file and the settings. the look good to me, if I can use all the things togehter.
But I wanna have a clen stm32f4 boot file (setting file). so the question is, how can I build a clean (without the fw paparazzi) fiel for the stm32f4discovery. If I use use makefile than I get the hole software with the fw. I hope you unterstand what I'm looking for.
Or in other words is the stm32f4_discovery.h the only file where the settings are made, so that I can change only this file or do I have to change some other files too?

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

Mattmax
I want to build a copter, so I'm looking for a copter control.

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

Ah, ok.. you meant fixedwing and not firmware with "fw". My bad...

There is no example airframe file for that currently...
But it should not be hard to do, start with one of the quadrotor airframes files (e.g.quadrotor_lisa_m_2_pwm_spektrum.xml)
and change the board to "stm32f4discovery" and set the IMU you want to use.

Cheers, Felix

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Mattmax <[hidden email]> wrote:
I want to build a copter, so I'm looking for a copter control.

Re: Paparazzi run on STM32F4 Discovery board

Mattmax
Okay, but I think we don't speak about the same thing....
so I wanna build a copter with a stm32f4discovery and something like the daughterboard. so I will do some changes on the adapterboard (daughterboard) and perhaps same changes on the pinouts. so I'm looking for alle the files that belong to the stm32f4discovery to do all necessary changes. on github I can only find one file that belong to the stm32f4discovery, so the question is, where are the other files, where the configuration of the board is saved?
when I have done my changes I want to compile the changes to a new target.