Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not working

Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not working

josibarns
Hi everyone,

My GPS stopped working today after working perfectly for a year and a half.... The GCS shows "NO FIX" and no data comes in from the GPS. I have started troubleshooting to see what could be the problem.

- I don't think it is software related because since the last flight I didn't flash a new firmware onto my autopilot.

- I have done a continuity test on the wires running from the GPS to the autopilot (Umarim Lite 2)

I am not sure what to try next. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Joseph

Re: Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not working

Chris Gough-2
does it draw any power? if not, keep going with the continuity testing
for vcc and ground (plug, pcb all the way to the legs on the GPS
module). If yes, keep going with continuity test on tx/rx lines back
to the module. Also check for shorts, inspect with microscope/loupe
etc.

Chris Gough

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Joseph Muhlhausen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> My GPS stopped working today after working perfectly for a year and a
> half.... The GCS shows "NO FIX" and no data comes in from the GPS. I have
> started troubleshooting to see what could be the problem.
>
> - I don't think it is software related because since the last flight I
> didn't flash a new firmware onto my autopilot.
>
> - I have done a continuity test on the wires running from the GPS to the
> autopilot (Umarim Lite 2)
>
> I am not sure what to try next. Do you have any suggestions?
>

> Thank you,
> Joseph

.

Re: Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not working

Hwarm
Hi Joseph,
we had the same problem with same very small nalilock modules.
After same days of working the modules were death.

What do you use?

Often the battery of the ublox module is the problem.
If the voltage is to low the modules gets no reset after power on.
This occurs often after a long time period (4-8 month)  with no power on.
We solved this problem on the same LS module   by removing  the battery  and shorting the
connections of the battery.
If the battery is a secondary cell  a few hours  of power on  can help.

Good luck

Heinrich

Joseph Muhlhausen schrieb:
Hi everyone,

My GPS stopped working today after working perfectly for a year and a half.... The GCS shows "NO FIX" and no data comes in from the GPS. I have started troubleshooting to see what could be the problem.

- I don't think it is software related because since the last flight I didn't flash a new firmware onto my autopilot.

- I have done a continuity test on the wires running from the GPS to the autopilot (Umarim Lite 2)

I am not sure what to try next. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Joseph

Re: Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not working

josibarns
Chris,

It seems to draw power, although it is not clear how much (My voltmeter says "1  ." when set to 200 mA) It could be a short circuit. I am now testing the continuity.

Heinrich,

I have bypassed the battery (and made a little bit of a mess) but it doesn't seem to have changed anything so far. I have a ublox LEA-6H made for paparrazi by PPZ-UAV.

I'll keep testing and will report back my findings.

Thank you!
Joseph

Joseph Muhlhausen schrieb:
Hi everyone,

My GPS stopped working today after working perfectly for a year and a half.... The GCS shows "NO FIX" and no data comes in from the GPS. I have started troubleshooting to see what could be the problem.

- I don't think it is software related because since the last flight I didn't flash a new firmware onto my autopilot.

- I have done a continuity test on the wires running from the GPS to the autopilot (Umarim Lite 2)

I am not sure what to try next. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Joseph

Re: Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not working

onefastdaddy
Hello,

I probably made that board. :)

First thing that comes to mind is the small cap drained completely. A very good Engineer friend told me that cap takes a long time to charge. Hours (FWIW).

Possibly the module reset to the factory defaults (9600bps). Have you tried Loading the "tunnel" program into the autopilot and using u-center?

Quick test could be just set the bps to 9600 for the gps in the airframe file or set the u_center module up. Let me dig in the Wiki for that...I think this is the page:
http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Gps#Automatic_Configuration_at_Startup
and
http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Module/GPS_UBlox_UCenter
and
http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Airframe_Configuration <-- look for GPS in the page

The gps module will let you setup the GPS again from the autopilot. Granted I'm not completely sure the exact way it works but what I do is in GCS after launching it go into settings and find the gps module and check the box and upload (green checkbox)...this enables the module which seems to do the magic required. The module is really for GPS boards without a .2F cap that lose their minds after power down. But in this case give it a go.

The good news is likely all is fine. One thing I've learned after all these years (8 now) of assembling Paparazzi things, and using them myself, they are durable and actually quite hard to kill. Non Paparazzi designed things from 3rd parties are not so durable IMHO and experience.

Let me know if that sorts it out...

David

Re: Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not working

josibarns
Hi David,

Yes I believe you made that board and since you are on leave no one is making it anymore ...

I have left the GPS aside for a couple of months and it may well be, as you mentioned, an empty capacitor.

I will power the GPS for half a day and see if it helps. I will also try the module. So far I have had no luck with u-center via FTDI.

Best,
Joseph

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 4:34 PM, onefastdaddy <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I see, well, yes, I am still away on a long overdue break. Honestly if
someone really needed some boards made I could work with a supplier to
get them assembled. It would just mean they add their markup to the
whole lot but I would be glad to help someone get what they needed
even while I'm away.

Yes, the old designs are still relevant and there is no reason that
board should just stop working other than I have seen them revert to
9600bps and the standard settings before. Charging the cap won't reset
the paparazzi settings back into it which is why I suggested using the
module in your airframe file. Even with no cap or a depleted cap it
should power up and work.

Have you used the tunnel before? Which autopilot do you have? I'lll
walk you through it if you like or call me I'll send you my phone
number and I can walk you through  it. I just am not sure if you've
done it before so I don't want to assume your level of experience with
these things.  The "Tunnel" is invaluable to me. That's still what I
do after all these years to test GPS after assembly.

If the instructions online are unclear let me know I've done it a
million times. I just don't have the computer I used in front of me
ATM.

-DC

http://www.ppzuav.com

Re: Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not working

josibarns

Hi David,

Good to know that you can make new boards if needed. For the time being I have ordered a ublox neo m8n.

I still want to find out what went wrong to prevent from happening again.

-It looks like I get 5v on the TX and 3.3V on the RX line. Is this normal?

-Also no current is drawn from the module

The gps module didn't seem to help unfortunately.

Best,
Joseph

> [...]
>>> and
>>> upload (green checkbox)...this enables the module which seems to do the
>>> magic required. The module is really for GPS boards without a .2F cap
>>> that
>>> lose their minds after power down. But in this case give it a go.
>>>
>>> The good news is likely all is fine. One thing I've learned after all
>>> these
>>> years (8 now) of assembling Paparazzi things, and using them myself, they
>>> are durable and actually quite hard to kill. Non Paparazzi designed
>>> things
>>> from 3rd parties are not so durable IMHO and experience.
>>>
>>> Let me know if that sorts it out...
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>>> --

> http://www.ppzuav.com

Re: Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not working

This is interesting then. The u-blox module is 3.3v logic. The GPS13
has a 5v -> 3.3v reg on it to drop the voltage down if it's fed 5v
from on the 5v pin. So getting 5v on any of the module pins is, well,
interesting.

The wiring is gnd, 3.3v (usually not connected), rx, tx, open, open,
open, 5v .. this is by memory so maybe tx/rx are in reality reversed.
Just the important point is 5v and gnd are on opposite ends of the
connector. Are you sure you are not feeding it 5v on the 3.3v line? If
not I'm at a loss why you get 5v on a Tx pin.

-David

http://www.ppzuav.com

Re: Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not working

josibarns
My bad, the issue is coming from my Lisa M2, the rx pin outputs 5v on UART3 for some reason. I have also tested the GPS on Umarim, tx and rx are at 3.3v now but still no luck. The ublox center module debug messages is always 0.

I made a clumsy attempt at removing the GPS battery and putting the VBAT pin to GND, with no luck either

Either the ublox chip is bricked or fried. Would it be easy to just replace the chip? or is it just no worth the effort?

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Joseph

http://www.ppzuav.com