Paparazzi Ground Hardware

Richard Thornton

Hi Everyone,

Your help and would be greatly appreciated.

Are there system requirements for the ground software?

From what I have lying about it looks like either:

Samsung ARM Chromebook (tricky to get Linux on there?)
Asus Eee PC T91MT (crappy SSD, 9" screen)
MSI Windpad 110W (tablet OK?)

If none of the above are suitable then are there any dirt cheap laptops that are perfect as a ground station, I could probably spend $300 on it?

I am favouring the tablet at the moment, thoughts?

Is a hardware keyboard required after software installation?

The tablet only has 1 x USB so a powered hub may be necessary.

Thanks for looking.

Best regards
Richard

Re: Paparazzi Ground Hardware

Sergey Krukowski
Hi!

Afaik the Pprz was already started on ARM devices.
Btw there is an Ubuntu port existing for the Nexus 7 tablet:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation
It is a pretty affordable, handy device. Would be nice if the whole
project could be started as is on it.

Best Regards,
Sergey

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Your help and would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Are there system requirements for the ground software?
>
> From what I have lying about it looks like either:
>
> Samsung ARM Chromebook (tricky to get Linux on there?)
> Asus Eee PC T91MT (crappy SSD, 9" screen)
> MSI Windpad 110W (tablet OK?)
>
> If none of the above are suitable then are there any dirt cheap laptops
> that are perfect as a ground station, I could probably spend $300 on it?
>
> I am favouring the tablet at the moment, thoughts?
>
> Is a hardware keyboard required after software installation?
>
> The tablet only has 1 x USB so a powered hub may be necessary.
>
> Thanks for looking.
>
> Best regards
> Richard

Re: Paparazzi Ground Hardware

just some short notes:
Paparazzi runs fine on ARM systems with Debian on them like the RaspberryPi or Cortex-A8 based ones like gumstix and BeagleBoneBlack.
It should actually run fine on any ARM system with Linux (and Ocaml) e.g. also ones based on more recent Cortex A15, etc.
(Cross compiling your autopilot firmware won't be possible though unless you build your own cross compiler or find an existing one).
I have no idea about the ones running Android...

Cheers, Felix

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Sergey Krukowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

Afaik the Pprz was already started on ARM devices.
Btw there is an Ubuntu port existing for the Nexus 7 tablet:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation
It is a pretty affordable, handy device. Would be nice if the whole project could be started as is on it.

Best Regards,
Sergey

Hi Everyone,

Your help and would be greatly appreciated.

Are there system requirements for the ground software?

From what I have lying about it looks like either:

Samsung ARM Chromebook (tricky to get Linux on there?)
Asus Eee PC T91MT (crappy SSD, 9" screen)
MSI Windpad 110W (tablet OK?)

If none of the above are suitable then are there any dirt cheap laptops
that are perfect as a ground station, I could probably spend $300 on it?

I am favouring the tablet at the moment, thoughts?

Is a hardware keyboard required after software installation?

The tablet only has 1 x USB so a powered hub may be necessary.

Thanks for looking.

Best regards
Richard

Re: Paparazzi Ground Hardware

antoine drouin
Hi Richard

If you're starting with Paparazzi, i would suggest to avoid funky architectures and stay with hardware (and software) that everybody uses in order to be able to use ready made packages instead of having to build from sources and fixing bugs yourself. That is, use  a robust x86 laptop with a bright screen running Linux (Ubuntu flavor, I like Mint). Panasonic toughbooks with touchscreens can be found on Ebay and  but my favorite choice (without touchscreen, though) would be Lenovo thinkpads ( if it's good enough for the ISS, it might work for Paparazzi, see http://www.technologybloggers.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ThinkPad-ISS.jpg ). I recently got a T61 on Ebay for a pale 100$

Regards

Poine

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Felix Ruess <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

From what I have lying about it looks like either:

Samsung ARM Chromebook (tricky to get Linux on there?)
Asus Eee PC T91MT (crappy SSD, 9" screen)
MSI Windpad 110W (tablet OK?)

If none of the above are suitable then are there any dirt cheap laptops
that are perfect as a ground station, I could probably spend $300 on it?

I am favouring the tablet at the moment, thoughts?

Is a hardware keyboard required after software installation?

The tablet only has 1 x USB so a powered hub may be necessary.

Thanks for looking.

Best regards
Richard

Re: Paparazzi Ground Hardware

Tilman Baumann-3
On 06/01/14 21:02, Richard Thornton wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Your help and would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Are there system requirements for the ground software?
>
> From what I have lying about it looks like either:
>
> Samsung ARM Chromebook (tricky to get Linux on there?)
> Asus Eee PC T91MT (crappy SSD, 9" screen)

I tried that once. It's practically useless because of the low DPI
screen. Can not advice.
Look at screen with high pixel density if you go for small screens.

 Tilman

Re: Paparazzi Ground Hardware

Sergey Krukowski
I'm using Lenovo myself and have some weird behavior of the internal USB
controllers with all of the pprz autopilots. For example, LPC bootloader
gives some weird upload error, however the ap looks to be flashed
properly. But as I tried STM32F1 with luftboot, I can't upload it at all -
it flashes one-two sectors and crashes the USB connection. And as soon as
KroozSD bootloader is also based on usbdfu example - it works in the same
way. My only solution is to use external express card USB 2.0 adapters -
with them I have no troubles at all. And I didn't notice such behavior on
other brands yet.
Just FYI:
http://www.informationweek.com/security/risk-management/intelligence-agencies-banned-lenovo-pcs-after-chinese-acquisition/d/d-id/1110950?

Best Regards,
Sergey

> Hi Richard
>
> If you're starting with Paparazzi, i would suggest to avoid funky
> architectures and stay with hardware (and software) that everybody uses
> in
> order to be able to use ready made packages instead of having to build
> from
> sources and fixing bugs yourself. That is, use  a robust x86 laptop with
> bright screen running Linux (Ubuntu flavor, I like Mint). Panasonic
> toughbooks with touchscreens can be found on Ebay and  but my favorite
> choice (without touchscreen, though) would be Lenovo thinkpads ( if it's
> good enough for the ISS, it might work for Paparazzi, see
> http://www.technologybloggers.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ThinkPad-ISS.jpg).
> I recently got a T61 on Ebay for a pale 100$
>
> Regards
>
> Poine
>

> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Felix Ruess <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> just some short notes:
>> Paparazzi runs fine on ARM systems with Debian on them like the
>> RaspberryPi or Cortex-A8 based ones like gumstix and BeagleBoneBlack.
>> It should actually run fine on any ARM system with Linux (and Ocaml)
>> e.g.
>> also ones based on more recent Cortex A15, etc.
>> (Cross compiling your autopilot firmware won't be possible though unless
>> you build your own cross compiler or find an existing one).
>> I have no idea about the ones running Android...
>>
>> Cheers, Felix
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Sergey Krukowski <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Afaik the Pprz was already started on ARM devices.
>>> Btw there is an Ubuntu port existing for the Nexus 7 tablet:
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation
>>> It is a pretty affordable, handy device. Would be nice if the whole
>>> project could be started as is on it.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Sergey
>>>

>>>  Hi Everyone,

>>> --
>>> Erstellt mit Operas revolutionärem E-Mail-Modul:
>>> http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: Paparazzi Ground Hardware

Richard Thornton

Thanks everyone!

Is a keyboard required, would an x86 tablet be suitable?

What is the optimal screen size and resolution (sunlight readable techs and/or ~1000 nits are best)?

Cheers
Richard

On 11 Jan 2014 07:31, "Sergey Krukowski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From what I have lying about it looks like either: