Octocopter flight time record

Sergey Krukowski
Hi guys!
Last couple of weeks I was really busy with my new project - the high
endurance multicopter. The result of the work is on youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dg1NB9DYzI

Achieved flight time is 2h 2min 20s. Pretty good...
A short parts description is under youtube, just post it here again:

8 rotors 17"
rewinded RcTimer 5010 motors
6s7p Panasonic NCR18650B LiIon battery
KroozSD autopilot
custom 2 x 4 ESC (SimonK based firmware)

PS. Sorry guys to not answer some of your questions, I was really busy
last time.

Best Regards,
Sergey

Re: Octocopter flight time record

Hi Sergey,

> Achieved flight time is 2h 2min 20s. Pretty good...

That's a bit of an understatement ;-)
That's really great!

What is the net/total weight of the system?

Congratulations,
Felix

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Sergey Krukowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys!
Last couple of weeks I was really busy with my new project - the high endurance multicopter. The result of the work is on youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dg1NB9DYzI

Achieved flight time is 2h 2min 20s. Pretty good...
A short parts description is under youtube, just post it here again:

8 rotors 17"
rewinded RcTimer 5010 motors
6s7p Panasonic NCR18650B LiIon battery
KroozSD autopilot
custom 2 x 4 ESC (SimonK based firmware)

PS. Sorry guys to not answer some of your questions, I was really busy last time.

Best Regards,
Sergey

Re: Octocopter flight time record

Simon Liebold
Sergey,

That is amazing! I never thought multicopters could have an endurance
like that. The battery alone must have a mass of almost 2kg.

Simon

p.s. I have the same model of RC controller in use.

Am 14.10.2014 um 15:57 schrieb Felix Ruess:

> Hi Sergey,
>
> > Achieved flight time is 2h 2min 20s. Pretty good...
>
> That's a bit of an understatement ;-)
> That's really great!
>
> What is the net/total weight of the system?
>
> Congratulations,
> Felix

Re: Octocopter flight time record

Gerard Toonstra

It’s 7 minutes short of Ferdinand Kickinger’s record: http://vimeo.com/84302289

What I find amazing is that you use 6s instead of 12s and 17” props instead of 28”, but still got very similar results.

What was the reason to rewind the 5010 motors, did you lower the kV?

On Oct 14, 2014, at 18:42, Simon Liebold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sergey,
>
> That is amazing! I never thought multicopters could have an endurance
> like that. The battery alone must have a mass of almost 2kg.
>
> Simon
>
> p.s. I have the same model of RC controller in use.
>

> Am 14.10.2014 um 15:57 schrieb Felix Ruess:
>> Hi Sergey,
>>
>>> Achieved flight time is 2h 2min 20s. Pretty good...
>>
>> That's a bit of an understatement ;-)
>> That's really great!
>>
>> What is the net/total weight of the system?
>>
>> Congratulations,
>> Felix

Re: Octocopter flight time record

agressiva
I prefer the Sergey version.

Big props is a problem when flying in the wind.
The inertia is a big problem too.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 20:01:48 -0300

> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Octocopter flight time record
>

> It’s 7 minutes short of Ferdinand Kickinger’s record: http://vimeo.com/84302289
>
> What I find amazing is that you use 6s instead of 12s and 17” props instead of 28”, but still got very similar results.
>
> What was the reason to rewind the 5010 motors, did you lower the kV?
>

> On Oct 14, 2014, at 18:42, Simon Liebold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Sergey,
> >
> > That is amazing! I never thought multicopters could have an endurance
> > like that. The battery alone must have a mass of almost 2kg.
> >
> > Simon
> >
> > p.s. I have the same model of RC controller in use.
> >

> > Am 14.10.2014 um 15:57 schrieb Felix Ruess:
> >> Hi Sergey,

> >> That's a bit of an understatement ;-)
> >> That's really great!
> >>
> >> What is the net/total weight of the system?
> >>
> >> Congratulations,
> >> Felix

Re: Octocopter flight time record

Hwarm
Hi  Sergey,
congratulations for the very long  flight time.
Is the frame made by CFK tubes?
Can you upload same Photos and technical data (battery propellers motor
controllers)   in the wiki ?
Best Regards,

Heinrich

Sergey Krukowski schrieb:

> Hi guys!
> Last couple of weeks I was really busy with my new project - the high
> endurance multicopter. The result of the work is on youtube video:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dg1NB9DYzI
>
> Achieved flight time is 2h 2min 20s. Pretty good...
> A short parts description is under youtube, just post it here again:
>
> 8 rotors 17"
> rewinded RcTimer 5010 motors
> 6s7p Panasonic NCR18650B LiIon battery
> KroozSD autopilot
> custom 2 x 4 ESC (SimonK based firmware)
>
> PS. Sorry guys to not answer some of your questions, I was really
> busy  last time.
>
> Best Regards,
> Sergey

Re: Octocopter flight time record

Sergey Krukowski
Thanks guys for your appreciation. That was a hard piece of work.

@Felix: the total flightweight of the system is 3400g.

@Simon: you are right,  the battery weight 2 kg. The transmitter used was Graupner MX-16,  receiver GR-12.

@Gerard: I saw that video, Ferdinands result is just insane. But some people say that flying over the roof above the buildings wall is a kind of trick to extend the flight.  Not sure how much profit does it give,  that's why I just flew over flat meadow in a very calm weather.
Regards motors, that's right,  I lowered the KV number to match the 6S and 17 zoll configuration.

@Eduardo: the price of the system was also important. Well, the 28 inch props and matching motors were "a bit" expensive for my budget.

Best regards,
Sergey

That is amazing! I never thought multicopters could have an endurance
like that. The battery alone must have a mass of almost 2kg.

Simon

p.s. I have the same model of RC controller in use.

Am 14.10.2014 um 15:57 schrieb Felix Ruess:

> Hi Sergey,
>
> > Achieved flight time is 2h 2min 20s. Pretty good...
>
> That's a bit of an understatement ;-)
> That's really great!
>
> What is the net/total weight of the system?
>
> Congratulations,
> Felix

Re: Octocopter flight time record

Sergey Krukowski
Hi Heinrich!

Yes, the frame is made from carbon tubes.
Well I already posted some data about the my rotorcraft, will try to find
a time to post some more info about it.

Best regards,
Sergey