News of the world

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Hello Paparazziers,

During three days this week, the Enac UAV team was at Atmospheric Research Center of Lannemezan (close to the Pyrenees in the south of France) for a flight campaign with Meteo-France. The goal was to prepare several meteorological planes for research studies that will be held next month in Cyprus.

Despite pretty harsh conditions, we have been able to fly several aircraft (Skywalker X6, Easystar, Funjet) at various altitudes up to 1400 m AGL.

Surprisingly our biggest issue was the heating of the ESC. The attached pictures speak for themselves why this was unexpected...

Also a video of a previous campaign at the same spot with a better weather: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOxEK0GESeQ

Regards,

Gautier Hattenberger
for Enac UAV Lab

IMAG0247.jpg (113K) Download Attachment
IMAG0248.jpg (46K) Download Attachment
IMAG0249.jpg (95K) Download Attachment
IMAG0252.jpg (97K) Download Attachment
IMAG0259.jpg (72K) Download Attachment
IMAG0263.jpg (90K) Download Attachment
IMAG0264.jpg (76K) Download Attachment
IMAG0266.jpg (66K) Download Attachment

Re: News of the world

Hector Garcia de Marina
Guau Gautier,

nice job! thanks for sharing!!

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Gautier Hattenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Reto Büttner
Hi Gautier

Great, looks like real adventure!

You might want to post a news note on the Wiki front page.

Happy Landings
Reto

[...]

Thanks,

Le 06/02/2015 17:08, Reto Büttner a écrit :
Hi Gautier

Great, looks like real adventure!

You might want to post a news note on the Wiki front page.
That's the plan. We have a lot of pictures, so we have to look for a nice one :)

[...]

Karoly Molnar-3
Hi Gautier,

Looks very good! Could you please be a bit more specific on the ESC heating problem?

Regards
Karoly

Re: News of the world

Gautier Hattenberger-3
The motor consumption during the climb was about 200W, draining 20 to 30 Amps, which is fine for the speed controllers we have selected as long as they are cooled by the airflow. Because of the snow and the icy fog, we had to close all the air inlets to protect the electronic boards, thinking that an outside temperature between 0 and -10 would be enough.
Finally, it wasn't, and after 5 minutes of climbs, they were entering protection mode, limiting the power to about 100W.
We are now modifying the planes to add a cooling plate on the ESC, also in contact with the outside air.

Gautier

Le 07/02/2015 08:21, Karoly Molnar a écrit :
Hi Gautier,

Looks very good! Could you please be a bit more specific on the ESC heating problem?

Regards
Karoly

Re: News of the world

Simon Liebold
Hi Gautier,

Because of the snow and the icy fog,

On one of the pictures you can see that the prop picked up some ice. Maybe this has an adverse effect on the efficiency of the prop, requiring a higher power input from the motor. Maybe this contributes to the over-temp of the ESC.

Very interesting project.

Simon

Am 07.02.2015 um 14:07 schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:
The motor consumption during the climb was about 200W, draining 20 to 30 Amps, which is fine for the speed controllers we have selected as long as they are cooled by the airflow. Because of the snow and the icy fog, we had to close all the air inlets to protect the electronic boards, thinking that an outside temperature between 0 and -10 would be enough.
Finally, it wasn't, and after 5 minutes of climbs, they were entering protection mode, limiting the power to about 100W.
We are now modifying the planes to add a cooling plate on the ESC, also in contact with the outside air.

Gautier

Re: News of the world

Hwarm
Hi  Gautier Hattenberger,

nice pictures from Lannemezan.
Had you problems with the temperatures of the batteries?
What where the measurement equipment?
Have you used the Apogee autopilot to measure the  attitude and as mass
storage?

I work currently with a five hole  probe for  wind vector  measurement
with the funjet and want to use the Paparazzi Apogee software.
Currently i have problems with the debugger in combination with chibios.
It is not possible to  hold on breakpoints in  tasks  running  in
combination with .  chibios. How have you solved this problem? Debugging
under Windows?

Regards

Heinrich Warmers