New ground station for paparazzi ?

Report Content as Inappropriate

New ground station for paparazzi ?

chawig@t-online.de

        Hi all,

        I wish a happy new year to all paparazzistes  !

        I've read that some peolpe are building a new GUI. What is the status on
that ?
        Since Garmisch I've been doing some progress, so that the controller cards
moved to a model airplane (a Miltplex movie star with 2 brushless engines). I
could fly autonomously for three minutes and even hit the first two waypoint
of the mission. There is still a bit of tuning but it looks like it's going
to work.

I use an autostable airframe (2 axis), and GPS. The plane is adjusted so that
it climbs when given more power. The altitude is regulated by changing the
power. That works fine. The direction however still requires tuning.

It would be very nice for mee if I could reuse the paparazzi ground segment,
to display and record the telemetry messages

Cheers
Martial Châteauvieux

Report Content as Inappropriate

Paparazzi

Pardeep Athwal
Hi,

I'm going to begin my paparazzi project and I had a
few questions regarding tools I'll need.

1) I will be purchasing a Twinstar so I can use the
same settings as the project founders.

2) Should I purchase an AVR ATMEL Development kit for
the Atmel8 & 128 or not?

3) I haven't found information on the GPS Unit how to
build it I've searched the website etc.. I am open to
buying a fully built unit if thats possible.

4) Should I build the Servo Control Unit first and
then the main unit, I'd like to build it in stages
rather than all at once.

5) Can the project founders recommend someone who can
build the units i.e. I'm not great with a soldering
iron etc.. Or is it straightforward, I do have a
tempreture controlled soldering iron.

6) I am intially thinking of purchasing the complete
FMA autopilot so that I can get the FMA infrared
sensor along with it.  Is that recommended? Or should
I just build my own infrared sensor.

Thats all for now.

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Paparazzi

antoine.drouin
Hi Pardeep

Pardeep Athwal wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm going to begin my paparazzi project and I had a
>few questions regarding tools I'll need.
>
>1) I will be purchasing a Twinstar so I can use the
>same settings as the project founders.

yep, that is going to make your life easyer  - you might then even be
able to do autonomous on first flight :)

>2) Should I purchase an AVR ATMEL Development kit for
>the Atmel8 & 128 or not?

I don't think that is needed

>3) I haven't found information on the GPS Unit how to
>build it I've searched the website etc.. I am open to
>buying a fully built unit if thats possible.

get a SAM-LS module from ublox - this is a module with a GPS chip and a
ceramic patch antenna. All you have to do is solder some wires to the
controller board. I'll set up a page about that on the wiki.

>4) Should I build the Servo Control Unit first and
>then the main unit, I'd like to build it in stages
>rather than all at once.

I'm not sure what you're talking about - The supported hardware is
described on this page
http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/doc2/moin.cgi/Introduction/Hardware
Some boards, like the tiny ot the v1_2_1/lite have a builtin "servo
driver", that is a chip that allows to drive 10 servos from a single
microcontroller pwm output.
Some others, like the classix or the robostix don't - For those boards,
there is two solutions:
  - use the microcontroller PWM pins do directly drive servos ( there
are 6 available)
  - use a "servo driver" chip that is build on a rc receiver to drive
more servos ( theoriticaly you could reach 6 * 10 servos )

>5) Can the project founders recommend someone who can
>build the units i.e. I'm not great with a soldering
>iron etc.. Or is it straightforward, I do have a
>tempreture controlled soldering iron.

The finer chip on the old generation boards ( v1_2_1 and lite) had 0.8mm
pitch - They were moderatly easy to solder by hand. The new boards (
classix and tiny ) have 0.5mm pitch chips and are difficult to do by
hand. A reflow oven is very handy for them. Miraterre, the company of
Anton and Jeremy intends to sell ready build boards, but it's not
available yet.

I could mount your first board if you're in a hurry.

>6) I am intially thinking of purchasing the complete
>FMA autopilot so that I can get the FMA infrared
>sensor along with it.  Is that recommended? Or should
>I just build my own infrared sensor.

maybe just get the sensor as spare part from FMA - there is little point
in building your own. The price of part in small quantities is similar
to the price of the FMA unit.

Regards

Antoine.