NEO-M8N GPS

Report Content as Inappropriate

NEO-M8N GPS

Amir Ashrafizadeh
Hello all,
Has anyone used a NEO-M8N GPS module with their autopilot? if so, is there any difference in the configuration? Is it OK if I just use the config file for the NEO-6M?
Also, is it beneficial to use the external compass on the board? I am using an Apogee board.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Amir

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NEO-M8N GPS

Pascal Fust
Hello Amir,

concerning your question regarding the Ublox NEO-M8N: I am using a NEO-M8N with my paparazzi autopilot KroozSD. After having accuracy issues with a NEO-M7, I swapped to the M8N and didn't change anything in my paparazzi configuration - it just worked out-of-the-box.

Regarding the external compass, I haven't been using any, therefore can't give you any advice on that.

Best regards, Pascal

Hello all,
Has anyone used a NEO-M8N GPS module with their autopilot? if so, is there any difference in the configuration? Is it OK if I just use the config file for the NEO-6M?
Also, is it beneficial to use the external compass on the board? I am using an Apogee board.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Amir

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NEO-M8N GPS

Christophe De Wagter
some recent changes were done in the ublox-ucenter-module for the ublox 8 series (since they can track so many space vehicles, the port often got overloaded making configuration difficult, but that "should"TM be good now: the modules work great when configured)

-Christophe

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Pascal Fust <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you guys for your prompt response. Just a quick question before I try anything, do I need to reset the configuration of the GPS module to factory settings before using the ublox-center-module? And in order to get it to work, do I just have add :
<load name="gps_ubx_ucenter.xml"/>
to my airframe file and comment out:
 <subsystem name="gps"               type="ublox"/>
thanks again.

Regards,
Amir

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Christophe De Wagter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Simon Liebold
Hi Amir,

Am 26.05.2016 um 18:59 schrieb Amir Ashrafizadeh:
Thank you guys for your prompt response. Just a quick question before I try anything, do I need to reset the configuration of the GPS module to factory settings before using the ublox-center-module? And in order to get it to work, do I just have add :
<load name="gps_ubx_ucenter.xml"/>
to my airframe file and comment out:
 <subsystem name="gps"               type="ublox"/>
thanks again.

You don't need to reset it. Also, both, the "load" and "subsystem" lines will need to be present in the configuration.

Simon

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NEO-M8N GPS

Stephen L Hulme
Hi Christophe,

Does this fix relate to pull request #1649?

Furthermore, does it relate to a problem I noted before in a Bebop 2 auto2 flight.

Regards

Stephen

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 10.38 PM, Christophe De Wagter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The unstable bebop behavior is probably related to gains: see the guidance gains in the TUDELFT / FROG airframe: they at a order of magnitude lower than the default bebop.
This pull request is not related to bebop.

-Christophe

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 6:26 AM, Stephen L Hulme <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ewoud
I think it does relate to the bebop2, as it also has the neo-m8n. Regarding the pull-request, it is not pretty enough yet to merge

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NEO-M8N GPS

Christophe De Wagter
bebop2 is preconfigured at high baudrate (which was solved in a previous pull request) so configuring works well. Only those stupid low-baudrate modules which are pre-configured to send more data than the baudrate allows give problems.

-Christophe