MS4525 Airspeed sensor drivers

josibarns
I am looking at adding an airspeed sensor to my setup and the Eagle Tree does not seem to be working well (seeing all the comments on the mailing list).

I had a look at the measurement specialty MS4525DO mentioned on the wiki. I cannot find drivers for it in the module section, but I was wondering if I can just use MS5611 drivers instead?

Thanks,
Joseph

Re: MS4525 Airspeed sensor drivers

agressiva
MS5611 is a barometer

To use MS4525 you need to put this lines in modules section

        <load name="airspeed_ms45xx_i2c.xml">
            <define name="MS45XX_I2C_DEV" value="i2c1"/>
            <define name="MS45XX_PRESSURE_RANGE" value="1"/>
            <define name="MS45XX_OUTPUT_TYPE" value="0"/>
            <define name="MS45XX_PRESSURE_OFFSET" value="8549.0"/>  <!-- 8542.0-->
        </load>

Re: MS4525 Airspeed sensor drivers

Tobias
Or you could try an amsys-sensor which is pretty good for airspeed measuring.
depending on your speed range

both are supported in ppz - see
http://docs.paparazziuav.org/latest/module__airspeed_amsys.html

http://www.amsys.info/drucksensor/differenzdrucksensor.htm

Tobi

Re: MS4525 Airspeed sensor drivers

josibarns
Thanks guys!
I'm adding the MS45xx xml parameters to the wiki

I have requested pricing from AMSYS for their sensor.
Their seems to be a large discrepancy between MS4525  and AMS 5812-0003 pressure range. Does that mean that the pitot probe need to be different for each sensor?

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Tobias <[hidden email]> wrote:
Or you could try an amsys-sensor which is pretty good for airspeed measuring.
depending on your speed range

both are supported in ppz - see

Tobi

Re: MS4525 Airspeed sensor drivers

agressiva
Tobi, amsys are temperature compensated ?
Have you used this sensors ?

Re: MS4525 Airspeed sensor drivers

josibarns

I believe AMS sensors are temperature compensate. MS4525 should be temperature compensated as well.

Tobi, is there any advantage of using AMS over MS45xx sensors? I only see that the AMS you recommend has a lower pressure operating range.

On Jun 29, 2015, at 4:39 PM, Eduardo lavratti <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tobi, amsys are temperature compensated ?
Have you used this sensors ?

Re: MS4525 Airspeed sensor drivers

Rolf Noellenburg
Hi.

Yes, according to the datasheet, the AMS sensors are temperatur compensated.
I own two AMS sensors, one 5812-0003 and one 5812-0001. The biggest
advantage of the -0001 is its resolution, at least for the airframe
where I'm using it. The aircraft has a loiter airspeed of 8.5 m/s and is
optimized for endurance. At this point, the resulution of the -0001 is
about 0,0038 m/s whereas the resolution of the MS4525 would be 0,082 m/s
(using the data provided by 3DR).
This advantage gets smaller, the faster the aircraft travels. At 25 m/s
the resolution is about 0,0013m/s and 0,028 m/s. Both resolutions should
be more then enough at that speed.

Maximum speed for the -0001 is about 41 m/s, for the -0003 about 58 m/s
and for the MS4525DO about 100 m/s (according 3DR).

Biggest advantage of the MS4525DO is, that it can be bought ready-to-use
from 3DR with probe while the AMS needs some soldering (Resistors for I2C).

So, in my opinion, it depends on the aircraft and your soldering
skills/will. I came from analog 7002s (in another airframe) and am more
than happy with the performance of the AMS 5812-0001. But I think I will
acquire a MS4525DO for faster planes, too.

Rolf

Am 30.06.2015 um 21:43 schrieb Joseph Muhlhausen:

> I believe AMS sensors are temperature compensate. MS4525 should be
> temperature compensated as well.
>
> Tobi, is there any advantage of using AMS over MS45xx sensors? I only
> see that the AMS you recommend has a lower pressure operating range.
>

> On Jun 29, 2015, at 4:39 PM, Eduardo lavratti <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Tobi, amsys are temperature compensated ?
>> Have you used this sensors ?

>> Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 16:34:51 -0400
>> From: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] MS4525 Airspeed sensor drivers
>>
>> Thanks guys!
>> I'm adding the MS45xx xml parameters to the wiki
>>
>> I have requested pricing from AMSYS for their sensor.
>> Their seems to be a large discrepancy between MS4525  and AMS
>> 5812-0003 pressure range. Does that mean that the pitot probe need to
>> be different for each sensor?
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Tobias <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Or you could try an amsys-sensor which is pretty good for
>>     airspeed measuring.
>>     AMS 5812-0001 <http://www.amsys.info/products/ams5812.htm>
>>     AMS 5812-0003 <http://www.amsys.info/products/ams5812.htm>
>>     depending on your speed range
>>
>>     both are supported in ppz - see
>>     http://docs.paparazziuav.org/latest/module__airspeed_amsys.html
>>
>>     http://www.amsys.info/drucksensor/differenzdrucksensor.htm
>>

>>     Tobi

Re: MS4525 Airspeed sensor drivers

Tobias

yes I have two amsys sensors in operation (both 003) and I m happy with it!
As Rolf already stated they are temperature compensated and the temperature is available in GCS on request.
<define name="MEASURE_AMSYS_TEMPERATURE"/>

For the resistors I used standard components and soldered them very tied to the sensor and glued them to the casing. that worked pretty well and is done in no time.

Next time I will go definitely with the 001 because of its higher resolution for low airspeeds - I usually fly around 10-20m/s and thats well covered.
I also have an amsys sensor for baro but that one seems to be a little more noisy than the ms5611.  …but it has this nice tube connection like the differential sensor…

for the pito probe I figured out that it is more important to have it in free stream (at least 2-3cm in front of any airframe part) than to change the diameter, but more tests are always welcome.

to finally configure and correct for any deviation you should compare the gps speed with the amsys airspeed in a steady circle. In ideal conditions with a well tuned aircraft the airspeed will be constant and the gps speed will oscillate around it. For deviation you can adjust the parameter
<define name="AIRSPEED_AMSYS_SCALE" value="1."/>
in your airframe.

Tobi