Linux Port

Report Content as Inappropriate

Linux Port

Jean-Sebastien stoezel
Hello there,

Have you ever though of porting your flight software to linux?

What kind fo board would you use? A low cost arm7 based?
Wwhat kind of embedded linux would you use?

Thank you in advance,
Jean-Sebastien

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Linux Port

antoine.drouin

Hello Jean Sebastien

Selon Jean-Sebastien stoezel <[hidden email]>:

> Hello there,
>
> Have you ever though of porting your flight software to linux?

The groundstation runs on a Linux laptop - The airborne code has strong real
time and high availability constraints that make the use of an OS no so
desirable.

Nevertheless we are aware that payload applications might benefit an OS -
This is why our next generation board is designed as a gumstix
(ARM9)daughterboard, where the autopilot runs in a pair of ARM7
microcontrollers and can be controlled by a gumstix/linux application.

Here is a picture of the first prototype

http://antoine.drouin.free.fr/lpc_board/arm_family/dsc00021.jpg
http://antoine.drouin.free.fr/lpc_board/arm_family/dsc00020.jpg

In the meantime and in order to offer commercial hardware support, we are
porting the autopilot to the robostix board ( single avr mega128 gumstix
daughter board )

http://gumstix.com/oscommerce-2.2ms2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=142

And as two boards were not fun enough, we have also developed a smallish
'all-in-one' ARM7 board, nicknamed Tiny

Here is a picture of the beast

http://antoine.drouin.free.fr/lpc_board/arm_family/dsc00001.jpg

Best regards