Large digital servos with Apogee board

Report Content as Inappropriate

Large digital servos with Apogee board

Amir Ashrafizadeh
Dear Paparazzians,
I am a new user to Paparazzi and I want to use the Apogee board to control a large plane that uses digital servos (I really dont trust the Pixhawk autopilot and would rather use Paparazzi). I have used the Tiny board about 8 years ago and was very happy with it, so I'm not "totally" unfamiliar with the procedure, but alot has changed.
I have a few questions and any help would be truly appreciated:
1- Is there a guide on how to hook up the Apogee? I know it sounds simple, but I just want something to reference to to be sure Im not going to blow up my hardware
2- The Apogee board can output 1.5 A for all the servos, thats not enough for me. How can I use large digital servos with the Apogee?
3- Is there a tuning guide available for Paparazzi?
Thank you in advance for your help guys!

Regards,
Amir

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Large digital servos with Apogee board

Iman
Hi Amir

1. It's very easy to use, just hook up servos,rc receiver and telemetry module and it's ready to go!

2. You can use external BEC to power your servos, Usually I prefer to use LM2596 switching module which has 3A output.

3. Here's a good guide: http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Tuning

Best regards,
Iman

Sent from my iPhone

> On 6 آوریل 2016, at 23:35, Amir Ashrafizadeh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Paparazzians,
> I am a new user to Paparazzi and I want to use the Apogee board to control a large plane that uses digital servos (I really dont trust the Pixhawk autopilot and would rather use Paparazzi). I have used the Tiny board about 8 years ago and was very happy with it, so I'm not "totally" unfamiliar with the procedure, but alot has changed.
> I have a few questions and any help would be truly appreciated:
> 1- Is there a guide on how to hook up the Apogee? I know it sounds simple, but I just want something to reference to to be sure Im not going to blow up my hardware
> 2- The Apogee board can output 1.5 A for all the servos, thats not enough for me. How can I use large digital servos with the Apogee?
> 3- Is there a tuning guide available for Paparazzi?
> Thank you in advance for your help guys!
>
> Regards,
> Amir

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Large digital servos with Apogee board

Gautier Hattenberger-3

1- Most of the information on the board is on the wiki (http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Apogee/v1.00) and you can find some examples like https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/conf/airframes/ENAC/fixed-wing/funjet2.xml
2- Usually the solution is to power the servos from the ESC BEC output, see this diagram: http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Umarim_Lite_v2#Large_Aircraft_Connection_Diagram
3- Would be more than helpful...

Gautier

Le 06/04/2016 21:05, Amir Ashrafizadeh a écrit :
[...]

Hwarm
Dear Amir,
please use a switching BEC with a normal current of 5A for digital servos and supply
 only the servos from them.
Use also an electrolytic capacitor (switching hard)  to puffer the voltage of the battery.
Use a separate wiring from the battery tor the BEC.
Digital standard servos may have a start current of 1,2A and more.

Heinrich

Am 06.04.2016 22:24, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:
Hello,

[...]

Thank you very much for the feedback! I'm very excited to get this project up and running :)

Regards,
Amir