IR Sensors

Alan Underwood

Hey everyone,

My name's Alan and I'm from QUT in Australia, you've probably had a few messages from our group. I was wondering why you chose to use IR Sensors/thermopiles instead of just normal gyros because for our project we will probably be going down a similar path to you guys.

Thanks heaps,

Alan

Makeover Your Finances - WIN a $3000 Planning Package

RE: IR Sensors

akochevar
Alan,
Gyros alone cannot provide attitude stabilization.  You must have at the least 3 gyros and 3 accels for attitude stabilization on a fixed wing aircraft.  Even with these 6 sensors you must use some pretty complex filtering and make some assumptions about the flying characteristics in order to get an accurate position solution.  Even then, on small aircrafts who can move very fast and sometimes can fly outside the areas where you have made assumptions, the position solution can get confused, and large errors can develop.  On larger aircraft this isnt as big of a problem, but on MAVs it definitely is.

IR sensors provide absolute position sensing.  Instead of measuring a rate or an acceleration they measure absolute heat.  Therefore they really cant get confused.  The sky is almost always cold, and the ground almost always warm(er).  THere are a few examples where this might not be the case, but for now it has worked.  Some groups do you a gyro to augment the roll axis and help eliminate some control ossilations.  I hope this answers any questions you have.

Anton Kochevar