How to integrate a new IMU to

refik

Hello,

We want to integrate a new IMU module to paparazzi.  It is a 10 DOF IMU module from ST Microelectronics. We wrote driver codes and we can currently read all the sensor values using I2C port of an arduino processor.

How can we integrate our IMU to paparazzi?  Are there any documents defining basic steps of integrating a new module code?

We investigated ArduIMU v2 module ( http://paparazzi.github.com/docs/latest/module__ins_arduimu.html

If the integration of our IMU to paparazzi will be hard, I think that we can change ins_arduimu.c file and it reads our sensor values. Therefore, we can use ins_arduimu.xml file for configuration.   Do you suggest this method? It is not an elegant solution I know, if possible we want to integrate the IMU directly.

Cheers,

Refik

Re: How to integrate a new IMU to

Hector Garcia de Marina
I also have this IMU but I have not written the driver yet.

Do you mind to share it? then I can help you to integrate it.

Cheers,
Héctor

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM, refik <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

agressiva
quais sensores esse imu usa Leonardo ?

Re: How to integrate a new IMU to

Mauro Garcia Acero-2

Which IMU are you talking about?

The iNemo v2?

I developed a driver for another IMU not so long ago and integrated into Paparazzi. It used the SPI port but it should not be very much different from the I2C. I created a specific subsystem for this IMU.

Regards,
M.

Re: How to integrate a new IMU to

the correct way to implement a new IMU driver would be to first create peripheral drivers for the sensors you are using in sw/airborne/peripherals.
Then create a new imu driver (in sw/airborne/subsystems/imu) which uses these peripherals.
Then create a subsystem makefile for it in conf/firmwares/subsystems/shared
If you only have one version of that imu to support, there is no need for a separate "common" makefile, you would just put everything in one imu_<name>.makefile

Of course this should be done ontop of the master branch.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Felix

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Hector Garcia de Marina <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Mauro Garcia Acero <[hidden email]> wrote:

Which IMU are you talking about?

The iNemo v2?

I developed a driver for another IMU not so long ago and integrated into Paparazzi. It used the SPI port but it should not be very much different from the I2C. I created a specific subsystem for this IMU.

Regards,
M.

Re: How to integrate a new IMU to

agressiva
i have a driver for lsm303 and l3g4200.
l3g4200 is very similar to l3d20

my drive is the old model (not subsystem)

Re: How to integrate a new IMU to

Hi Eduardo,

it would be great to have drivers for these as peripherals...
But what do you mean by "old model"? The subsystems are the oldest "model" we have...

Cheers, Felix

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Eduardo lavratti <[hidden email]> wrote:
i have a driver for lsm303 and l3g4200.
l3g4200 is very similar to l3d20

my drive is the old model (not subsystem)

Re: How to integrate a new IMU to

agressiva
i put in my repo today.

for l3g4200 i have a new driver.

Re: How to integrate a new IMU to

refik
Yes, we can share it with paparazzi. Its Steval-MKI124v1
(http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM116/SC1116/PF253482)

Cheers,
Refik

------------------------------

>Message: 3
>Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 21:04:58 +0100
>From: "Mauro Garcia Acero" <[hidden email]>
>To: <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] How to integrate a new IMU to
>
>Which IMU are you talking about?
>

>The iNemo v2?
>

>I developed a driver for another IMU not so long ago and integrated into
>Paparazzi. It used the SPI port but it should not be very much different
>from the I2C. I created a specific subsystem for this IMU.
>

>Regards,
>M.
>
>> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM, refik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>   Hello,****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> We want to integrate a new IMU module to paparazzi.  It is a 10 DOF
>>> IMU module from ST Microelectronics. We wrote driver codes and we can
>>> currently read all the sensor values using I2C port of an arduino
>>> processor.****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> How can we integrate our IMU to paparazzi?  Are there any documents
>>> defining basic steps of integrating a new module code?****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> We investigated ArduIMU v2 module (
>>> http://paparazzi.github.com/docs/latest/module__ins_arduimu.html )
>>> ****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> If the integration of our IMU to paparazzi will be hard, I think that
>>> we can change ins_arduimu.c file and it reads our sensor values.
Therefore, we
>>> can use ins_arduimu.xml file for configuration.   Do you suggest this
>>> method? It is not an elegant solution I know, if possible we want to
>>> integrate the IMU directly.****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> Cheers,****
>>>
>>> Refik****

Re: How to integrate a new IMU to

refik
Thank you very much Felix,

We will follow the steps. We do not have any experience with makefiles, I
will need some help for writing the makefiles.

Cheers,
Refik

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 21:11:10 +0100
From: Hector Garcia de Marina <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

In my case I have this:
fha2pyFaduidzUlA24uekG9%252bzUv6bIopOy9%252bD9tKhzLtMTU%2fOtUEsw%3d%3d

But they also have this other IC in their webpage:
http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/sense_power/FM89/SC1448/PF253162

H?ctor
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 21:46:04 +0100
From: Felix Ruess <[hidden email]>
To: Paparazzi devel list <[hidden email]>

the correct way to implement a new IMU driver would be to first create
peripheral drivers for the sensors you are using in sw/airborne/peripherals.
E.g. similar to
sw/airborne/peripherals/adxl345_i2c.c<https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi
/blob/master/sw/airborne/peripherals/adxl345_i2c.c>
Then create a new imu driver (in sw/airborne/subsystems/imu) which uses
these peripherals.
E.g. like
sw/airborne/subsystems/imu/imu_aspirin_i2c.c<https://github.com/paparazzi/pa
parazzi/blob/master/sw/airborne/subsystems/imu/imu_aspirin_i2c.c>
Then create a subsystem makefile for it in conf/firmwares/subsystems/shared
Simialr to
conf/firmwares/subsystems/shared/imu_aspirin_i2c_v1.5.makefile<https://githu
b.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/conf/firmwares/subsystems/shared/imu_a
spirin_i2c_v1.5.makefile>
 and
conf/firmwares/subsystems/shared/imu_aspirin_i2c_common.makefile<https://git

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]

>> module from ST Microelectronics. We wrote driver codes and we can
currently

>> read all the sensor values using I2C port of an arduino processor.****
>>
>>  ****
>>
>> How can we integrate our IMU to paparazzi?  Are there any documents
>> defining basic steps of integrating a new module code?****
>>
>>  ****
>>
>> We investigated ArduIMU v2 module (
>> http://paparazzi.github.com/docs/latest/module__ins_arduimu.html )  ****
>>
>>  ****
>>
>> If the integration of our IMU to paparazzi will be hard, I think that we
>> can change ins_arduimu.c file and it reads our sensor values. Therefore,
we

>> can use ins_arduimu.xml file for configuration.   Do you suggest this
>> method? It is not an elegant solution I know, if possible we want to

End of Paparazzi-devel Digest, Vol 108, Issue 82

Re: How to integrate a new IMU to

agressiva
Felix,

the files for l3g4200 is in repo now. (https://github.com/agressiva branch master_eduardo)
I created the imu_prop1 taht use l3g4200 + adxl345 + hmc5883
/ sw / airborne / peripherals /l3g4200.h
/ sw / airborne / peripherals /l3g4200.c
/ sw / airborne / peripherals /l3g4200_regs.h

the imu is:
/ sw / airborne / subsystems / imu /imu_prop1.h
/ sw / airborne / subsystems / imu /imu_prop1.c
/ sw / airborne / subsystems / imu /imu_prop1_defaults.h

makefile
/ conf / firmwares / subsystems / shared /imu_prop1.makefile

the gyro is configured to 800hz Output rate (options are 800 / 400 / 200)
i use this imu with rotorcraft then i use high data rate.

I not tested after i converted the driver but it should work.

I will test today at night.

> From: [hidden email]

> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 23:21:38 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] How to integrate a new IMU to
>
> Thank you very much Felix,
>
> We will follow the steps. We do not have any experience with makefiles, I
> will need some help for writing the makefiles.
>
> Cheers,
> Refik

great, thanks!
I cherry picked the L3G4200 peripheral driver to master (and provided a proper commit message).
Didn't add the imu_prop1, since it is unclear what that refers to...

When you commit stuff that is to be merged into paparazzi it would be good if you could set your username...

Cheers, Felix