Help me contribute

Garrosh
Hello everyone,

As part of my cursus for my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, we are required to design and validate a prototype, which is in our case a mechanical hummingbird. We are nearing completion, and our scheduled date for the thing to fly is in December. Of course, we are using paparazzi as an autopilot (at my request), and we (I) would like to contribute something back to the community.

I figure that since hummingbirds and other flapping wing type drones may become increasingly popular in years to come, that it would be greatly beneficial for our future if we could incorporate a "flappingwing" airframe configuration, in addition to the existing "fixedwing" and "rotorcraft". I have tried fairly extensively to create this new structure, and was reminded that the main objective of our project did not include contributing to the community, after spending a few weeks on that project.

So my request is simple: is there anyone out there that I could communicate with and get this problem sorted out? I do have about 15 hours each week, for 3 months, to spend on the code to get our bird in the air, and I would really appreciate it if someone else could benefit from that.

Re: Help me contribute

Chris Gough-2
Is the DelFly paparazzi powered? Have you seen these guy's

http://mavlab.tudelft.nl/

Chris Gough

On 11/09/2014, at 7:34 AM, Garrosh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> As part of my cursus for my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, we
> are required to design and validate a prototype, which is in our case a
> mechanical hummingbird. We are nearing completion, and our scheduled date
> for the thing to fly is in December. Of course, we are using paparazzi as an
> autopilot (at my request), and we (I) would like to contribute something
> back to the community.
>
> I figure that since hummingbirds and other flapping wing type drones may
> become increasingly popular in years to come, that it would be greatly
> beneficial for our future if we could incorporate a "flappingwing" airframe
> configuration, in addition to the existing "fixedwing" and "rotorcraft". I
> have tried fairly extensively to create this new structure, and was reminded
> that the main objective of our project did not include contributing to the
> community, after spending a few weeks on that project.
>
> So my request is simple: is there anyone out there that I could communicate
> with and get this problem sorted out? I do have about 15 hours each week,
> for 3 months, to spend on the code to get our bird in the air, and I would
> really appreciate it if someone else could benefit from that.

Re: Help me contribute

Garrosh
Hello Chris,

Yes, TuDelft is paparazzi powered, and they are the people that required the
Lisa S in the first place. They are one of our sources for the whole project.
However, their code is not available and probably never will be. I have tried
contacting them, but they would be interested in a partnership, which we
couldn't be, since we don't have much to give them. We're a bachelor level
team, while they're all PhDs, and we are not doing fundamental research, only
trying to apply existing concepts.

I assume one of the reasons why their code isn't available to the public was
because of problems of structure integration into the existing code base. We
have managed to make a bird flap its wings, but it involved a lot of disrespect
to the existing code, and breakage in various places. Most importantly,
however, it assumes the bird is a rotorcraft in some parts of the code, and
the failed implementation of a flapping_wings firmware takes care of the rest.

Samuel Comeau