Frsky telemetry receiver

Chris Efstathiou
It is probably a dump idea but i was wondering if there is any
possibility to steer the modem data (tx only of course) through the
telemetry serial port of modern telemetry capable receivers like the Frsky.
It looks like there is one transparent serial port in the receiver that
comes out from
the tx module's serial port (rs232).
Chris

Re: Frsky telemetry receiver

Gareth Roberts-4
Hi Chris,

I've looked into this before, as have the ardupilot guys.
The basic problem is the maximum baud rate is about ~1.5Kbs, so it's
difficult to get sufficient telemetry.
Have a search on RCGroups.

Cheers,
Gareth

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 20:02:16 +0100, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is probably a dump idea but i was wondering if there is any
> possibility to steer the modem data (tx only of course) through the
> telemetry serial port of modern telemetry capable receivers like the
> Frsky.
> It looks like there is one transparent serial port in the receiver that
> comes out from
> the tx module's serial port (rs232).
> Chris

Re: Frsky telemetry receiver

Tilman Baumann-3
On 06/08/12 20:02, Chris wrote:
> It is probably a dump idea but i was wondering if there is any
> possibility to steer the modem data (tx only of course) through the
> telemetry serial port of modern telemetry capable receivers like the Frsky.
> It looks like there is one transparent serial port in the receiver that
> comes out from
> the tx module's serial port (rs232).
I's not transparent. Unfortunately.
It expects a frame format like the one from the FrSky Telemetry hub.
FrSky was nice enough to publicly document that data format.
But it's rather useless for us as telemetry link. And there is no word
on througput and latency.
But you could, and that would actually be a brilliant idea, encode some
status information from the autopilot and send it down the FrSky
telemetry link.
It supports things like Altitude, GPS NEMA stream, airspeed, current,
voltages, accelerations. And there are two analog ports for practically
free use.
All that is publicly documented and could easily be implemented.

Tilman

On 18/03/13 11:39, Tilman Baumann wrote:

> On 06/08/12 20:02, Chris wrote:
>> It is probably a dump idea but i was wondering if there is any
>> possibility to steer the modem data (tx only of course) through the
>> telemetry serial port of modern telemetry capable receivers like the Frsky.
>> It looks like there is one transparent serial port in the receiver that
>> comes out from
>> the tx module's serial port (rs232).
> I's not transparent. Unfortunately.
> It expects a frame format like the one from the FrSky Telemetry hub.
> FrSky was nice enough to publicly document that data format.
> But it's rather useless for us as telemetry link. And there is no word
> on througput and latency.

Whoooah. Exciting developments are happening.

FrSky is working on a new transmitter which is going to be absolutely
awesome. (It will be able to run Open9x firmware. FrSky is working
closely with the community to ensure that)
http://www.frsky-rc.com/ad/lIST.ASP

I just found a awesome nugget about their new telemetry protocol.
SmartPort is a full duplex serial protocol and you can put in user input
and output. Awesome!

I'm really excited about that stuff already. But I had no idea how great
it's going to be. This is the future!