Elle0 "test_" targets?

Report Content as Inappropriate

Elle0 "test_" targets?

Simon Liebold
Hi List,

I asked this on Gitter some time back.

I am trying to determine if my Elle0 (hardware) has problems. All it is
currently good for is the DFU mode (I can upload the firmware) and some
LED activity (power LED on, LED1 blinking).

There were mixed reports whether the USB port would work as telemetry if
plugged in *after* powering on. In my case my computer (lsusb/dmesg)
doesn't detect anything when plugging in. Even with usb_tunnel.

I wonder if any of the "test_" targets can be used to trigger any
sophisticated reaction in my Elle0 that is a bit more than just the
boring blinking. How are they supposed to be used?

usb_tunnel
setup_actuators
test_sys_time_timer
test_sys_time_usleep
test_telemetry
test_actuators_pwm
test_actuators_pwm_sin
test_esc_mkk_simple
test_esc_asctecv1_simple
test_baro_board
test_adc
test_uart

Cheers,
Simon

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Elle0 "test_" targets?

Hi Simon,

most of these small test progs were written to simply test certain pieces of code while we were implementing or refactoring stuff or writing support for new boards without needing a complete autopilot firmware setup...
E.g. test_telemetry will simply send some telemetry messages, test_sys_time_timer will blink set up timers to blink LEDs, ...
usb_tunnel makes a tunnel between one uart and usb (which can e.g. also be used to configure a GPS through USB).

So basically you add these targets to your airframe file and flash them... then check if you get telemetry messages, can change the actuators output, etc..
See e.g. https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/conf/airframes/FLIXR/flixr_lisa_mx.xml#L78

Not sure how much those help you for testing USB telemetry... It definitely works on Lisa/M, etc.. and it *should* (tm) also work on Elle0, but I can't confirm that since I don't have a production version of Elle0.
Esden should be able to help out here...

Cheers,
Felix

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 11:51 PM, Simon Liebold <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Felix,

Am 13.08.2016 um 21:13 schrieb Felix Ruess:
test_sys_time_timer will blink set up timers to blink LEDs, ...
OK, this works for me.
https://goo.gl/photos/eQMFsmEaMmakLXSW9

usb_tunnel makes a tunnel between one uart and usb (which can e.g. also be used to configure a GPS through USB).
No joy here. It doesn't detect anything if I power up the Elle0 before plugging in the USB.

But still, the successful test_sys_time_timer suggests that the Elle0 is not yet ready for the electronics bin. This is a good thing.

Thanks for the support Felix. I will try a few other things.

Simon

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Elle0 "test_" targets?

Hi Simon,

not sure if you noticed https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1848
With that usb telemetry should work on Elle0

Cheers, Felix

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Simon Liebold <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Felix,

Am 13.08.2016 um 21:13 schrieb Felix Ruess:
test_sys_time_timer will blink set up timers to blink LEDs, ...
OK, this works for me.
https://goo.gl/photos/eQMFsmEaMmakLXSW9

usb_tunnel makes a tunnel between one uart and usb (which can e.g. also be used to configure a GPS through USB).
No joy here. It doesn't detect anything if I power up the Elle0 before plugging in the USB.

But still, the successful test_sys_time_timer suggests that the Elle0 is not yet ready for the electronics bin. This is a good thing.

Thanks for the support Felix. I will try a few other things.

Simon

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Elle0 "test_" targets?

Simon Liebold
Hi Felix,

Thanks for pointing it out. Will try it when I get around to it (couple
of weeks or so).

Cheers,
Simon

Am 18.09.2016 um 08:20 schrieb Felix Ruess:
> Hi Simon,
>
> not sure if you noticed https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1848
> With that usb telemetry should work on Elle0
>
> Cheers, Felix

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Elle0 "test_" targets?

Simon Liebold

> Am 18.09.2016 um 08:20 schrieb Felix Ruess:
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> not sure if you noticed https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1848
>> With that usb telemetry should work on Elle0

I eventually found the time to test (with
v5.11_devel-11525-g1a61b1a-dirty).

I did not know that I had to change
<module name="telemetry"     type="transparent"/>
into
<module name="telemetry"     type="transparent_usb"/>

After doing that, uploading the new firmware, powering up the Elle0 and
connecting the USB port, I am now getting a different error! \o/

Oct 14 18:30:40 simpad-x1 kernel: [211022.773675] usb 2-1: new
full-speed USB device number 38 using xhci_hcd
Oct 14 18:30:45 simpad-x1 kernel: [211027.885745] usb 2-1: device
descriptor read/64, error -110
Oct 14 18:31:00 simpad-x1 kernel: [211043.102191] usb 2-1: device
descriptor read/64, error -110
Oct 14 18:31:00 simpad-x1 kernel: [211043.318176] usb 2-1: new
full-speed USB device number 39 using xhci_hcd
Oct 14 18:31:06 simpad-x1 kernel: [211048.434313] usb 2-1: device
descriptor read/64, error -110
Oct 14 18:31:21 simpad-x1 kernel: [211063.650827] usb 2-1: device
descriptor read/64, error -110
Oct 14 18:31:21 simpad-x1 kernel: [211063.866823] usb 2-1: new
full-speed USB device number 40 using xhci_hcd
(Same result with two different USB cables.)

Apparently the error '-110' just means "Connection timed out". That
doesn't help lots. Or is it that the USB3.0 module xhci_hcd cannot speak
with the Elle0? That would be odd, though.

Cheers,
Simon