Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

123

Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Chris Efstathiou
Hi.
I am sure this has come up in the past but i can't locate the thread so
i must ask again.
When i connect the Eagletree airspeed sensor V3 on a lisa m2 the I2C bus
freezes.
The only other device on the bus is the ppzimu, the wiring is fine and
the airspeed sensor's display shows
the highest measurement as it should.
Without the airspeed sensor everything works fine.
Btw i have tried with a startup delay and with out it but there is no
change.
Any ideas of what i am doing wrong?
(I think i will go with the analog version of the airspeed sensor)
Thanks
Chris

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Hi Chris,

could you please provide some more details?
Which paparazzi_version are you using?
They both connected to the same I2C bus?
Is the airspeed sensor working if it has a bus to itself?

Why not use the second bus for the airspeed sensor so if this device locks up the bus it won't affect the IMU.

Cheers, Felix

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.
I am sure this has come up in the past but i can't locate the thread so i must ask again.
When i connect the Eagletree airspeed sensor V3 on a lisa m2 the I2C bus freezes.
The only other device on the bus is the ppzimu, the wiring is fine and the airspeed sensor's display shows
the highest measurement as it should.
Without the airspeed sensor everything works fine.
Btw i have tried with a startup delay and with out it but there is no change.
Any ideas of what i am doing wrong?
(I think i will go with the analog version of the airspeed sensor)
Thanks
Chris

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Tobias
Hey Chris,

I have the same problem with my eagle tree sensors on a twog. This behavior came up a long time ago.... still havent found the reason thou :-(
for me they are still useable since they are working properly after I flashed the autopliot. only after a new restart they freeze.
can you try this with your configuration, this would at least help a little.
Maybe we can track down this fault now! I m willing to help as much as I  can -
beside that I m working on the implementation of the drotec IMU and discovered the same behavior with the hmc 5883 - the sensor works fine after flashing and freezes after a restart.
files for the drotec IMU are on my branch if someone wants to have a look...

Tobi

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Tobias
just to specify my observation

latest stable version v2 and all previous versions back to 2011 (at least)

twog + aspirin + eagle tree baro + eagle tree airspeed
all on the same bus! -works just fine-

after I flash the twog everything is working as expected.
Only when I recycle the supply voltage and the twog is forced to restart the eagle tree sensors are not sending any data anymore, the aspirin is still working fine... so its not the bus!?

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

agressiva
Muench, i know this problem !

Felix, as i tell you, i have the same problem some time ago.
To solve this problem i put a startdelay on AIRSPEED_ETS module.

I tried to use the same code used on DELAY_START_MOTOR but it not work then i make a ridiculous loop to
 wait some time on
airspeed_ets_init()
After this,  tue AIRSPEED not failed anymore.

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 21:02:39 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Eagletree airspeed sensor problems
>
> just to specify my observation
>
> latest stable version v2 and all previous versions back to 2011 (at least)
>
> twog + aspirin + eagle tree baro + eagle tree airspeed
> all on the same bus! -works just fine-
>
> after I flash the twog everything is working as expected.
> Only when I recycle the supply voltage and the twog is forced to restart the eagle tree sensors are not sending any data anymore, the aspirin is still working fine... so its not the bus!?

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Chris Efstathiou
I use this version:
hendrix@hendrix--tc4400:~/paparazzi$ ./paparazzi_version
v4.2.0_stable-2-gd155873-dirty
hendrix@hendrix--tc4400:~/paparazzi$

I will have to check if the airspeed sensor works when alone in the i2c
bus but i can't use the second I2C bus permanently because i need those
2 servos badly.
The only hint i could find is that the Eagletree sensor during startup
looks for a short between
SDA & SCL in order to switch from miles to kilometres and maybe this
causes the problem.
Also please note that i use the sensor with 3.3v not 5v, as the manual
states that the input power supply voltage can be anything from 3 to 16
volts (maybe this has something to do with the I2C problems).

Btw in Lisa M v2 if i define the PPM input to be the Uart1 rx pin, the
ADC 1 input does not work anymore so it isn't really an option.
Chris

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Chris Efstathiou
I found this on the airspeed manual"
Here is the pseudo code for accessing the Airspeed and Altimeter sensors:
byte data[2];
signed short reading = 0xFFFF;
i2c_start();
// select sensor in write mode
if (!(i2c_write(SENSOR_ADDRESS | I2C_WRITE_BIT))) {
// send "read data" command to sensor
if (!i2c_write(0x07)) {

 From what i understand in the paparazzi code we are only receiving not
transceiving.
   if (airspeed_ets_i2c_trans.status == I2CTransDone)
     I2CReceive(AIRSPEED_ETS_I2C_DEV, airspeed_ets_i2c_trans,
AIRSPEED_ETS_ADDR, 2);

Is this correct?
Chris

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

agressiva
Hello Felix, i am using lisa_m 1.0 with PPM input on UART1.
It work fine.

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Again: please report which versions are you using, as this makes a big difference for some of the drivers/subsystems!

The PPM input works fine in v4.2 as well, _but_ the ADC is then sampling very slow as the use the same timer or something like that.
In master this problem should be fixed and PPM input on PA_01 (UART1_RX) _and_ the ADC should be working properly.

Cheers, Felix

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Eduardo lavratti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Felix, i am using lisa_m 1.0 with PPM input on UART1.
It work fine.

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

agressiva
OPss ... i am using MASTER (updated today)

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Hi all,

I wasn't fully aware that the ETS airspeed sensor brings the whole bus to a halt.
Unfortunately the protocol and any other possilbe requirements are not really documented.
The only option I see to resolve this is that someone who actually has this sensor sits down with a logic analyser and debugger to figure this out.

For the time being, it seems that the only reliable option is to not use this sensor and switch to a ADC based one.

Cheers, Felix

P.S.  You are right that the second I2C bus is not really an option if you need all the servo ports..

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Eduardo lavratti <[hidden email]> wrote:
OPss ... i am using MASTER (updated today)

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Tilman Baumann-3
On 21/01/13 17:51, Felix Ruess wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wasn't fully aware that the ETS airspeed sensor brings the whole bus
> to a halt.
> Unfortunately the protocol and any other possilbe requirements are not
> really documented.
> The only option I see to resolve this is that someone who actually has
> this sensor sits down with a logic analyser and debugger to figure
> this out.
>
> For the time being, it seems that the only reliable option is to not
> use this sensor and switch to a ADC based one.

Darn. I had only bought that module to get out of the analog hell.

I have to admit, I don't quite understand the problem. I used to get
values with this module (never flew it though)
Did it break or was it broken all the time? I thought this module was
rather widely used.
That somehow never got quite clear from following the thread.

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Hi Tilman,

I have to admit, I don't quite understand the problem. I used to get values with this module (never flew it though)
Did it break or was it broken all the time? I thought this module was rather widely used.
That somehow never got quite clear from following the thread.

I really don't know, as I never used one myself... But it seems to me that it might have worked in old versions purely by chance (e.g. because some things added a fixed busy wait at initialization or something along these lines).
The point is that we don't really know what the startup requirements for this sensor are... other standard I2C sensors are working fine.

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Gerard Toonstra
I've got two here and want to use them too. I've got a buspirate, which allows me to test various things quite easily over a console.
Tomorrow I'm away, but wednesday I should be able to have a look there.

On Jan 21, 2013, at 3:06 PM, Felix Ruess <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tilman,

I have to admit, I don't quite understand the problem. I used to get values with this module (never flew it though)
Did it break or was it broken all the time? I thought this module was rather widely used.
That somehow never got quite clear from following the thread.

I really don't know, as I never used one myself... But it seems to me that it might have worked in old versions purely by chance (e.g. because some things added a fixed busy wait at initialization or something along these lines).
The point is that we don't really know what the startup requirements for this sensor are... other standard I2C sensors are working fine.

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Stephen Dwyer
Hello,

I was just wondering what sort of configurations people are definitely having problems with? What other devices are on the bus? Would be nice to have a clear and comprehensive list of what works and what doesn't and what the symptoms are...

I have been using an ETS airspeed sensor with Lisa/M v2.0 on I2C2 (no baro running) with aspirin 2.1, with absolutely no problems at all that I can detect. Of course, I don't think anything else is on this bus. (Last run on v4.1.1_testing-11-ga0fbe08 in my scdwyer git repo).

Thanks,
-Stephen Dwyer

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Gerard Toonstra <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This is my planes. All with airspeed_Ets.
Plane1: YAPA2 + Airspeed_ETS + mpu6000 + ms5611 + camera controller (atmega8).
Plane2: TWOG + Airspeed_ETS + l3g4200 + hmc5883 + bmp050 .
Plane3: TWOG + Airspeed_ETS + itg3200 + hmc5883 + bmp050.

Some time with original drive the airspeed not initialize then i modified airspeed driver to wait some time to initialize.
This problem occur with all ppz versions.

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

gatib
My config:
TWOG + Airspeed_ETS + Baro_ETS (USE_AIRSPEED, USE_BARO_ETS)
it works seamless with version 4.0

Balazs

2013.01.22. 5:53 keltezéssel, Eduardo lavratti írta:

> This is my planes. All with airspeed_Ets.
> Plane1: YAPA2 + Airspeed_ETS + mpu6000 + ms5611 + camera controller (atmega8).
> Plane2: TWOG + Airspeed_ETS + l3g4200 + hmc5883 + bmp050 .
> Plane3: TWOG + Airspeed_ETS + itg3200 + hmc5883 + bmp050.
>
> Some time with original drive the airspeed not initialize then i modified airspeed driver to wait some time to initialize.
> This problem occur with all ppz versions.
> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 21:30:28 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Eagletree airspeed sensor problems
>
> Hello,
> I was just wondering what sort of configurations people are definitely having problems with? What other devices are on the bus? Would be nice to have a clear and comprehensive list of what works and what doesn't and what the symptoms are...
>
> I have been using an ETS airspeed sensor with Lisa/M v2.0 on I2C2 (no baro running) with aspirin 2.1, with absolutely no problems at all that I can detect. Of course, I don't think anything else is on this bus. (Last run on v4.1.1_testing-11-ga0fbe08 in my scdwyer git repo).
>
> Thanks,-Stephen Dwyer
>

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Gerard Toonstra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've got two here and want to use them too. I've got a buspirate, which allows me to test various things quite easily over a console.
> Tomorrow I'm away, but wednesday I should be able to have a look there.
> G>
>

> On Jan 21, 2013, at 3:06 PM, Felix Ruess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tilman,
>

> I have to admit, I don't quite understand the problem. I used to get values with this module (never flew it though)
>
> Did it break or was it broken all the time? I thought this module was rather widely used.
>
> That somehow never got quite clear from following the thread.
> I really don't know, as I never used one myself... But it seems to me that it might have worked in old versions purely by chance (e.g. because some things added a fixed busy wait at initialization or something along these lines).
>
> The point is that we don't really know what the startup requirements for this sensor are... other standard I2C sensors are working fine.
> Cheers, Felix

Balazs GATI, PhD
      Department of Aircraft and Ships

Address:   Budapest
           Stoczek u 6. J. ép. 423
           1111
Tel:       +(36)-1-463-1960
Fax:       +(36)-1-463-3080
Homepage: http://rht.bme.hu/~gatib/

Re: Eagletree airspeed sensor problems

Tobias

twog+Airspeed_ETS+Baro_ETS+Aspirin1 (USE_AIRSPEED, USE_BARO_ETS)

(all on the same bus) works fine and I flew really a lot during the past -
never the less at some point something was changed or fixed so that for the stable versions v4.2 and v4.1
both eagle tree sensors dont start up after a restart of the twog - (sensors are powered from the twog) the imu (Aspirin on the same bus) however is not affected at all! so for measurement it is not even an risk of flying.
after flashing everything is still working as expected and I made a few nice flights during november.

Just a guess, but maybe a short delay on startup before initializing the sensors could do the job - just give those little guys a little time after they are powered.

Tobi
123