Eagle

Matthew Currie
Group,

  I have spent the evening learning Eagle.  I can now say with confidence that I am a converted Protel user at this point.  I am quite impressed with the level of detail you guys have done in the libraries and schematics and am getting a bit excited about the power of all of this.  I will detail my setup in the hopes of passing info forward if it has not already been said.  I normally operate in a Windows XP environment but the amount of linking, the CVS, etc. makes the environment productive.

  I downloaded the latest copy of Eagle (4.16R2 in this case) and extracted it to /usr/share/eagle-lin-eng-4.16r2/ and then created a symbolic link at /usr/share/eagle/  this allows you to work with multiple versions of the program and you will not break any links pointed to /usr/share/eagle by updating.  The command to create this link is

# ln -s /usr/share/eagle-lin-eng-416r2/ /usr/share/eagle

  I could then create a basic "launcher" or shortcut on the desktop to point to:

/usr/share/eagle/bin/eagle

  I also realized that I wanted to include the CVS paparazzi libraries but I did not want to copy them as they would grow stale and not be included in CVS updates so I employed another handy symbolic link.

# ln -s /home/mcurrie/paparazzi3/hw/lbr/ /usr/share/eagle/lbr/paparazzi

  Paparazzi "CVS" libaries now show up inside a subfolder called paparazzi in the library list of Eagle.

  I hope this helps someone and again, there is some great work done already for us!

Cheers,
Matthew Currie

Re: Eagle

Francisco Zabala
Thanks a lot Matt. I am also a Protel user, so I will probably have a
couple of questions once I get started!

I will tatlk to you after work (for some odd reasons I have not been
able to connect to the IRC, still hacking though :) ) on the IRC.

Cheers to all,

-Cisco
Papparazzi ~ Fullerton, CA, USA

On 1/19/07, Matthew Currie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Group,
>

>   I have spent the evening learning Eagle.  I can now say with confidence
> that I am a converted Protel user at this point.  I am quite impressed with
> the level of detail you guys have done in the libraries and schematics and
> am getting a bit excited about the power of all of this.  I will detail my
> setup in the hopes of passing info forward if it has not already been said.
> I normally operate in a Windows XP environment but the amount of linking,
> the CVS, etc. makes the environment productive.
>
>   I downloaded the latest copy of Eagle (4.16R2 in this case) and extracted
> it to /usr/share/eagle-lin-eng-4.16r2/ and then created a symbolic link at
> /usr/share/eagle/  this allows you to work with multiple versions of the
> program and you will not break any links pointed to /usr/share/eagle by
> updating.  The command to create this link is
>
> # ln -s /usr/share/eagle-lin-eng-416r2/ /usr/share/eagle
>
>   I could then create a basic "launcher" or shortcut on the desktop to point
> to:
>
> /usr/share/eagle/bin/eagle
>
>   I also realized that I wanted to include the CVS paparazzi libraries but I
> did not want to copy them as they would grow stale and not be included in
> CVS updates so I employed another handy symbolic link.
>
> # ln -s /home/mcurrie/paparazzi3/hw/lbr/
> /usr/share/eagle/lbr/paparazzi
>
>   Paparazzi "CVS" libaries now show up inside a subfolder called paparazzi
> in the library list of Eagle.
>
>   I hope this helps someone and again, there is some great work done already
> for us!
>

> Cheers,
> Matthew Currie

-Cisco

RE: Eagle

Roman Krashanitsa
Great guide, thanks!

Roman Krashanitsa

________________________________

Re: Eagle

Dave Hylands
On 1/19/07, Francisco Zabala <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks a lot Matt. I am also a Protel user, so I will probably have a
> couple of questions once I get started!
>
> I will tatlk to you after work (for some odd reasons I have not been
> able to connect to the IRC, still hacking though :) ) on the IRC.

For those looking to make their own parts in Eagle, this is a good tutorial:

http://myhome.spu.edu/bolding/EE4211/EagleTutorial4.htm

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada