Creating new UAVs/airframes

Yani ZIANI
Hello there,

I’m currently working with paparazzi, and I'd like to know if there were any
kind of tutorial or guide in order to create a new UAV to be simulated on
Paparazzi.
I did find the wiki page about airframe configuration, and I think I've
figured out which xml files should be used/modified, but I'm wondering what
most of the variables in the example airframe config files are for (for
instance).
As in turns out, since I'm using paparazzi solely to simulate UAV flights,
I'm aware that I might not need some information present in those example
files.

Thanks in advance.

Yani ZIANI

--
Sent from: http://lists.paparazziuav.org/paparazzi-devel-f3.html

Re: Creating new UAVs/airframes

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Hello,

Can you be a bit more specific about the type and number of UAVs you
want to simulate ? Which parameters would you like to change ?

Gautier

Le 25/04/2019 à 20:43, Yani ZIANI a écrit :

> Hello there,
>
> I’m currently working with paparazzi, and I'd like to know if there were any
> kind of tutorial or guide in order to create a new UAV to be simulated on
> Paparazzi.
> I did find the wiki page about airframe configuration, and I think I've
> figured out which xml files should be used/modified, but I'm wondering what
> most of the variables in the example airframe config files are for (for
> instance).
> As in turns out, since I'm using paparazzi solely to simulate UAV flights,
> I'm aware that I might not need some information present in those example
> files.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Yani ZIANI
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lists.paparazziuav.org/paparazzi-devel-f3.html

Re: Creating new UAVs/airframes

Yani ZIANI
Hello Gautier,

The thing is, I'm not really sure what information I can have at my
disposal, so there aren't any specifics to that really.
Right now I'm just trying to figure out what variables are definitely
required to simulate fixed-wing and/or rotary-wing aircrafts, and what kind
of parameters could help in order to create more "realistic" flight
simulations.
As for the number, I hoped to be able to simulate 2-3 different aircrafts,
additionnally to what paparazzi already has to offer on that matter.

Yani

--
Sent from: http://lists.paparazziuav.org/paparazzi-devel-f3.html

Re: Creating new UAVs/airframes

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Hi,

If you want to make a realistic simulation, you will need to use the NPS
target (http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/NPS) and create or adapt one
of the JSBSIM airframe used for simulation
(https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/tree/master/conf/simulator/jsbsim/aircraft).

For simulating several UAVs, you need to compile several aircraft (with
simulation target 'sim' or 'nps') and start several 'Simulator' agents
from the tools menu with the proper options.

Gautier

Le 02/05/2019 à 11:37, Yani ZIANI a écrit :

> Hello Gautier,
>
> The thing is, I'm not really sure what information I can have at my
> disposal, so there aren't any specifics to that really.
> Right now I'm just trying to figure out what variables are definitely
> required to simulate fixed-wing and/or rotary-wing aircrafts, and what kind
> of parameters could help in order to create more "realistic" flight
> simulations.
> As for the number, I hoped to be able to simulate 2-3 different aircrafts,
> additionnally to what paparazzi already has to offer on that matter.
>
> Yani
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lists.paparazziuav.org/paparazzi-devel-f3.html

Re: Creating new UAVs/airframes

Yani ZIANI
Hi,
I'm not sure how creating or adapting one of those JSBSIM airframes would
help, as they don't even seem to be used by default during compilation. The
closest files I can find that are actually used are the airframes referenced
here
<https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/tree/master/conf/airframes/examples>
, which have obviously different structures and data in it.
Additionnally, if I do try, for instance, to compile any ardrone2 (that is
to say, either ardrone2, ardrone2_flightplan_guided_gazebo, ardrone2_gazebo)
using the simple_ardrone2.xml config file (
https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/conf/simulator/jsbsim/aircraft/simple_ardrone2.xml
<https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/conf/simulator/jsbsim/aircraft/simple_ardrone2.xml>
), and using the NPS target, the compilation can't manage to generate a
airframe.h file and fails.
(I should probably have mentionned that sooner, but I'm using v5.12_stable)

Yani

Gautier Hattenberger-3 wrote
> Hi,
>
> If you want to make a realistic simulation, you will need to use the NPS
> target (http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/NPS) and create or adapt one
> of the JSBSIM airframe used for simulation
> (https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/tree/master/conf/simulator/jsbsim/aircraft).

--
Sent from: http://lists.paparazziuav.org/paparazzi-devel-f3.html

Re: Creating new UAVs/airframes

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Hi,

They are dynamically loaded by the simulator actually
(https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/sw/simulator/nps/nps_fdm_jsbsim.cpp#L561).

The documentation of JSBSIM is a bit sparse, but you can have a look at
http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/documentation.html

When I try to compile airframe files with latest code (master branch) it
seems to work for nps target of ardrone2. Airframes using gazebo are
only failing for me as I don't have it installed on my computer at the
moment, but should work otherwise. What is the error message ? Can you
update to latest stable (5.14) or master branch, at least for testing ?

Gautier