Quantcast

Connect AR Drone 2.0 through router, then multiple drones

Report Content as Inappropriate

Connect AR Drone 2.0 through router, then multiple drones

cTrippen
Good morning All,
 I am trying to connect my AR Drone 2.0 via a router, with the further goal of connecting multiple drones.

 I have found a setup from MAVLabs and TUDelft (some familiar names),
    http://www.imavs.org/papers/2013/307_IMAV2013_Proceedings.pdf, however the first step (4.1) of defining the LINK_HOST doesn't accept the '\\\'s in the IP Address. I have tried to find what these are for but have not found anything yet.

 Also, the string in 4.5 has 'essid hier', do I replace 'hier' with the router ID? If not, do I need a different one for each drone?

 Regards
Carl

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Connect AR Drone 2.0 through router, then multiple drones

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Hi,

The procedure is different now. You need to use the configure script in
sw/tools/parrot
(https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/sw/tools/parrot/ardrone2.py),
especially the 'configure_network' option (use '-h' option for help):

usage: ardrone2.py configure_network [-h] [--channel CHANNEL]
                                      name address
{master,ad-hoc,managed,ad-hoc-olsr}

positional arguments:
   name                  the new network ID(SSID)
   address               the new IP address
   {master,ad-hoc,managed,ad-hoc-olsr}
                         the new Wifi mode

optional arguments:
   -h, --help            show this help message and exit
   --channel CHANNEL     the wifi channel (auto or 1 to 11)

Then you need to specify the SSID of your router, IP of your drone and
the managed mode. In the aiframe file, you'll just need to specified the
drone IP with the HOST parameter (can be a function of the aircraft id:
https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/conf/airframes/ENAC/quadrotor/ard2_basic.xml#L7).

If not done, the script we'll ask you to install a custom wifi script on
the ARDrone2, it is required to make this work.

You can also configure the 'autostart' to always start with paparazzi on
boot.

Be careful when configuring the SSID and IP, if wrong, you may have
troubles to connect after restart.

Gautier

Le 13/03/2017 à 22:09, cTrippen a écrit :

> Good morning All,
>   I am trying to connect my AR Drone 2.0 via a router, with the further goal
> of connecting multiple drones.
>
>   I have found a setup from MAVLabs and TUDelft (some familiar names),
>      http://www.imavs.org/papers/2013/307_IMAV2013_Proceedings.pdf, however
> the first step (4.1) of defining the LINK_HOST doesn't accept the '\\\'s in
> the IP Address. I have tried to find what these are for but have not found
> anything yet.
>
>   Also, the string in 4.5 has 'essid hier', do I replace 'hier' with the
> router ID? If not, do I need a different one for each drone?
>
>   Regards
> Carl

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Connect AR Drone 2.0 through router, then multiple drones

cTrippen
Hi there Gautier,
 Thank you for the reply.
 I would like to confirm a few things, if I may.
 At what point do you use the configure script? In the IMAV2013 document, it telnets the whole command to the drone once paparazzi is loaded to it. Is this the same point where I use the configure script? or can I set these things before build/upload? I have telnet'd to the drone post upload but couldn't find the file.

 My proposed command will be -
 ardrone.py configure_network --channel auto wifiNetworkName desiredDroneIP(192.168.2.10) managed

 Regarding the airframe file, ard2_basic.xml, my router IP is 192.168.2.254, so the entry in the file will be -

     line 7       <configure name="HOST" value="192.168.2.$(AC_ID)"/>

 Is the allocation of IP to the drone dynamic? and therefore successive drones will be numbered in sequence? or does the $(AC_ID) retain its current number? In which case, I will have to configure their default IP.

 Also, do I need to select this airframe file in the GCS? I am currently using the ardrone2.xml from the examples folder.

 Regarding your warning, 'trouble to connect after restart', is that only if choosing the 'autostart' option?

Thanks again
Carl

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Connect AR Drone 2.0 through router, then multiple drones

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Hi,

The 2013 document is probably completely outdated now, so don't rely to
much on it.

Here is my situation to connect several ARDrones:

- First, you can run the configuration script independently of anything.
The script is located in the sw/tools/parrot folder on the ground
station, and it is in fact doing a mix of telnet/ftp commands to produce
the required changes (getting/settings parameters, executing commands,
uploading/downloading files).

let's say your router has IP 192.168.2.254 with SSID 'wifiNetworkName'
and your drone has 192.168.2.10. You can choose the AC_ID (from the
paparazzi center, top left part) to be 10, it can help later but it is
not mandatory. The script command would be:

./ardrone.py configure_network wifiNetworkName 192.168.2.10 managed

say 'yes' if it asks to update the wifi script if not done before and
restart the drone with the router running. After boot, it should connect
to the router, check with 'ping 192.168.2.10'. If it fails (wrong SSID
usually), you'll need to connect to the drone using the direct serial
console (http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/AR_Drone_2#Console_Fixing)
which is really annoying (that's why there is a warning).

- Then you need to configure the airframe to define the drone IP (HOST
parameter):

<configure name="HOST" name="192.168.2.$(AC_ID)"/>

if AC_ID is equal to the last number of the address (with this you can
also reuse the same airframe file for several drones if their IP is
following the same principle), or:

<configure name="HOST" name="192.168.2.10"/>

to fix the value.

Now the GCS should know where to send the autopilot code (based on HOST
param). In the other direction, the drone is broadcasting an UDP stream,
so it is not needed to know the GCS IP.

I hope this clarify a bit. Don't hesitate to improve the documentation
on the wiki.

Gautier

Le 16/03/2017 à 08:38, cTrippen a écrit :

> Hi there Gautier,
>   Thank you for the reply.
>   I would like to confirm a few things, if I may.
>   At what point do you use the configure script? In the IMAV2013 document, it
> telnets the whole command to the drone once paparazzi is loaded to it. Is
> this the same point where I use the configure script? or can I set these
> things before build/upload? I have telnet'd to the drone post upload but
> couldn't find the file.
>
>   My proposed command will be -
>   ardrone.py configure_network --channel auto wifiNetworkName
> desiredDroneIP(192.168.2.10) managed
>
>   Regarding the airframe file, ard2_basic.xml, my router IP is 192.168.2.254,
> so the entry in the file will be -
>
>       line 7       <configure name="HOST" value="192.168.2.$(AC_ID)"/>
>
>   Is the allocation of IP to the drone dynamic? and therefore successive
> drones will be numbered in sequence? or does the $(AC_ID) retain its current
> number? In which case, I will have to configure their default IP.
>
>   Also, do I need to select this airframe file in the GCS? I am currently
> using the ardrone2.xml from the examples folder.
>
>   Regarding your warning, 'trouble to connect after restart', is that only if
> choosing the 'autostart' option?
>
> Thanks again
> Carl

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Connect AR Drone 2.0 through router, then multiple drones

cTrippen
Good morning Gautier,
 I ran the configure_network via telnet and am now able to connect to the router and ping the ard2. GOLD :)

 I opened PPRZ and changed the AC_ID to 10, and selected the ENAC/quadrotor/ard2_basic.xml as the airframe file. This is the airframe file that I modified earlier. The build failed with the following message -

Fatal error: exception Failure("File not found: conf/airframes/ENAC/quadrotor/ard2_10.xml")
make[1]: *** [/home/ct/paparazzi/var/aircrafts/ardrone2/ap/generated/airframe.h] Error 2

 Then I swapped back to the examples/ardrone2.xml airframe file,
     added the configure_name="HOST" name="192.168.2.$(AC_ID)" line, and build went through. The GCS then was held up at "waiting for telemetry".
 I am thinking that the adr2 either can't talk back or is stuck within it's own code.

 Also, if I wanted to configure the ard2 back to its original network setup, can I run the configure_network script and take out the host reference in the airframe file?

 As an aside, if you did actually have the incorrect name for the SSID, instead of fixing via console, if you new what SSID you gave the drone, could you just rename your router to match and then connect?

 Happy to update the wiki once I know what to put up there (and how to do the update) :)

Thanks again
 Carl

Gautier Hattenberger-3 wrote
> [...]

> desiredDroneIP(192.168.2.10) managed
>
>   Regarding the airframe file, ard2_basic.xml, my router IP is 192.168.2.254,
> so the entry in the file will be -
>
>       line 7       <configure name="HOST" value="192.168.2.$(AC_ID)"/>
>
>   Is the allocation of IP to the drone dynamic? and therefore successive
> drones will be numbered in sequence? or does the $(AC_ID) retain its current
> number? In which case, I will have to configure their default IP.
>
>   Also, do I need to select this airframe file in the GCS? I am currently
> using the ardrone2.xml from the examples folder.
>
>   Regarding your warning, 'trouble to connect after restart', is that only if
> choosing the 'autostart' option?
>
> Thanks again
> Carl

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Connect AR Drone 2.0 through router, then multiple drones

Also,
 I chose 'no' when asked to install the olsrd. Should I rerun and select 'y'?

cTrippen wrote

Le 18/03/2017 à 02:13, cTrippen a écrit :

> Good morning Gautier,
>   I ran the configure_network via telnet and am now able to connect to the
> router and ping the ard2. GOLD :)
>
>   I opened PPRZ and changed the AC_ID to 10, and selected the
> ENAC/quadrotor/ard2_basic.xml as the airframe file. This is the airframe
> file that I modified earlier. The build failed with the following message -
>
> Fatal error: exception Failure("File not found:
> conf/airframes/ENAC/quadrotor/ard2_10.xml")
> make[1]: ***
> [/home/ct/paparazzi/var/aircrafts/ardrone2/ap/generated/airframe.h] Error 2
This is because the calibration files for each drone is in a separated
file with the AC_ID in the name:
https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/conf/airframes/ENAC/quadrotor/ard2_101.xml

>   Then I swapped back to the examples/ardrone2.xml airframe file,
>       added the configure_name="HOST" name="192.168.2.$(AC_ID)" line, and
> build went through. The GCS then was held up at "waiting for telemetry".
>   I am thinking that the adr2 either can't talk back or is stuck within it's
> own code.
After flashing, the program runs immediately. It is then possible to log
with telnet and check that the code (ap.elf) is still running. You can
also restart it by hand. The program should be in /data/video/paparazzi.

>   Also, if I wanted to configure the ard2 back to its original network setup,
> can I run the configure_network script and take out the host reference in
> the airframe file?
yes, you may need to specify the correct host address the option --host
of the python script

>   As an aside, if you did actually have the incorrect name for the SSID,
> instead of fixing via console, if you new what SSID you gave the drone,
> could you just rename your router to match and then connect?
yes, I guess it would work as well

> [...]
>>> 192.168.2.254,
>>> so the entry in the file will be -
>>>
>>>        line 7
>> <configure name="HOST" value="192.168.2.$(AC_ID)"/>
>>>    Is the allocation of IP to the drone dynamic? and therefore successive
>>> drones will be numbered in sequence? or does the $(AC_ID) retain its
>>> current
>>> number? In which case, I will have to configure their default IP.
>>>
>>>    Also, do I need to select this airframe file in the GCS? I am currently
>>> using the ardrone2.xml from the examples folder.
>>>
>>>    Regarding your warning, 'trouble to connect after restart', is that
>>> only if
>>> choosing the 'autostart' option?
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>> Carl

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Connect AR Drone 2.0 through router, then multiple drones

wv-tud
Hi Carl,

I am using the bebop2 though a router (the process of configuring is slightly different) and I notice you don't seem to have a MODEM_HOST configure in your airframe file.
At least in my case I have to configure the MODEM_HOST as the broadcast address of the network (usually 192.168.*.255) like this:

<configure name="MODEM" value="192.168.40.$(AC_ID)" />

<configure name="MODEM_HOST" value="192.168.40.255" />

Hope this solves your problem!

Wilco

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017, 17:26 Gautier Hattenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

> [...]
>>> 192.168.2.254,
>>> so the entry in the file will be -
>>>
>>>        line 7
>> <configure name="HOST" value="192.168.2.$(AC_ID)"/>
>>>    Is the allocation of IP to the drone dynamic? and therefore successive
>>> drones will be numbered in sequence? or does the $(AC_ID) retain its
>>> current
>>> number? In which case, I will have to configure their default IP.
>>>
>>>    Also, do I need to select this airframe file in the GCS? I am currently
>>> using the ardrone2.xml from the examples folder.
>>>
>>>    Regarding your warning, 'trouble to connect after restart', is that
>>> only if
>>> choosing the 'autostart' option?
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>> Carl

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Connect AR Drone 2.0 through router, then multiple drones

Hi there Wilco,
 Thanks, that seems to have done the trick. It now gets past the 'waiting for telemetry'. Haven't test flown yet, as I have to do some hardware tidying up (GPS cable needs shortening).

 Now onto multi-drones, when they arrive.

Regards
Carl

wv-tud wrote
Hi Carl,

I am using the bebop2 though a router (the process of configuring is
slightly different) and I notice you don't seem to have a MODEM_HOST
configure in your airframe file.
At least in my case I have to configure the MODEM_HOST as the broadcast
address of the network (usually 192.168.*.255) like this:

<configure name="MODEM" value="192.168.40.$(AC_ID)" />

<configure name="MODEM_HOST" value="192.168.40.255" />

Hope this solves your problem!

Wilco

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017, 17:26 Gautier Hattenberger <
[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> [...]
>>>
>>>        line 7
>> <configure name="HOST" value="192.168.2.$(AC_ID)"/>
>>>    Is the allocation of IP to the drone dynamic? and therefore
successive
>>> drones will be numbered in sequence? or does the $(AC_ID) retain its
>>> current
>>> number? In which case, I will have to configure their default IP.
>>>
>>>    Also, do I need to select this airframe file in the GCS? I am
currently
>>> using the ardrone2.xml from the examples folder.
>>>
>>>    Regarding your warning, 'trouble to connect after restart', is that
>>> only if
>>> choosing the 'autostart' option?
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>> Carl

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Connect AR Drone 2.0 through router, then multiple drones

Sorry I missed this one. The MODEM_HOST is set to the default value
192.168.1.255 which is the broadcast address for the default network of
the ARDrone2. If you are using a different one, you indeed have to
adjust this value.

Gautier