Commercial boards

antoine.drouin
Hello world

We are trying to find a way to get ready made boards commercially available.
Gumstix said they would do it but seems very slow to do so.
If you know a company that would provide this service please let us know.
In the same time we have setup a page on the wiki to collect buying
intentions and get an estimate of the needed volume.

Please edit this page :
http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/doc/moin.cgi/Dev/CommercialBoards

Best regards

Antoine

AW: Commercial boards

Ethan Arnold-2
Hi Antoine,

Are you looking just at PCB's or fully populated and programmed boards?
I'd be happy to produce and market the PCB's, and I think I can probably
find a way to get them assembled (at least with the components that are
impossible to do manually), although I'd still need to do some reasearch to
make an estimate for that.

Regards,
Ethan

Re: AW: Commercial boards

antoine.drouin
Hi Ethan

I think fully populated and tested boards would be the best - The arm
boards ( classix and tiny) use fine pitch part ( 0.5mm ) which are very
difficult to solder without proper equipment ( at least hot air).

What do others think ?

Regards

Antoine

Ethan Arnold wrote:

> Hi Antoine,
>
> Are you looking just at PCB's or fully populated and programmed boards?
> I'd be happy to produce and market the PCB's, and I think I can probably
> find a way to get them assembled (at least with the components that are
> impossible to do manually), although I'd still need to do some reasearch to
> make an estimate for that.
>
> Regards,
> Ethan

RE: AW: Commercial boards

Nicolas Calderon
I also think fully assembled boards would be required. I am interested in
classix and tiny but don’t have the required equipment to produce them...

For the tests, it would be great... but I'm afraid this would significantly
raise the price of boards. I guess we could develop a test program that
would test all the onboard components... I don’t see the advantage of have
tests run by assembling company.

Nicolas Calderon

Ethan Arnold wrote:
> Hi Antoine,
>
> Are you looking just at PCB's or fully populated and programmed boards?
> I'd be happy to produce and market the PCB's, and I think I can probably
> find a way to get them assembled (at least with the components that are
> impossible to do manually), although I'd still need to do some reasearch
> make an estimate for that.
>
> Regards,
> Ethan

Re: AW: Commercial boards

David Armstrong-2
Nicolas,

i am looking into production & issues surrounding that for all boards , that
are stable , and classix once the few items remaining are sorted .
in most cases automated testing is mostly by default , to check the pcb's
and parts for non functioning bad
ic's etc , which can be changed before dispatch to the client , and is now
done to satisfy regulations etc
as any pcb made for or in europe has to comply now to RHOS and other weird
money making regulations  CE etc

the main problem to get the price down , is to have volume , but you need to
weigh the costs of lower output
being automation and hand soldered i.e labour , the main problem being to
set up a pcb automated build system
can take 2 -3 hours setup time , even though then it can produce a pcb in
about 20 - 30 seconds

they don't like setting up for only a hour production run , as it then costs
about the same time as 4 hours
all lost revenue for them , so it's a trade off in small numbers .

anyhow will let you all know once i have the figures worked out , see what
Ethan can find out too

i have access to companys in China and Singapore if they are willing to do
them , lets see ,  it's all in the numbers

Dave

Ethan Arnold wrote:
> Hi Antoine,
>
> Are you looking just at PCB's or fully populated and programmed boards?
> I'd be happy to produce and market the PCB's, and I think I can probably
> find a way to get them assembled (at least with the components that are
> impossible to do manually), although I'd still need to do some reasearch
> make an estimate for that.
>
> Regards,
> Ethan

Re: Re: AW: Commercial boards

Martin Mueller

we should have the PCBs tested by the PCB maker as they usually do.
Additionally we need a test for the entire board.

- parts are populated correctly
- parts are working

We have to make a list on how to test each part on the board and write
test software.

- quarz starts to oscillate
- USB (download) works
- LPCs boot
- LPCs communicate
- GPS is responding, does a fix in reasonable time (dependant on GPS
constellation)
- make Molex short circuit connectors to test pins (eg. connect GPIO1.6
to GPIO1.7) and check for connection bi-directional
- PPM output is there

It is essenial to have the boards running correctly when they ship and
to be able to tell once a board is broken (eg. after a crash). We
already spend quite some time finding that out :-)

Someone looking on how to make boards should also find out if the boards
can be made the way they are. Some ground planes eat up a lot of heat
and the soldering is difficult. Also some parts are very close to
others (in the shadow). The GPS rx and the GPS patch most likely need
hand soldering/glueing.

Martin

> Nicolas,
>
> i am looking into production & issues surrounding that for all boards
, that
> are stable , and classix once the few items remaining are sorted .
> in most cases automated testing is mostly by default , to check the
pcb's
> and parts for non functioning bad
> ic's etc , which can be changed before dispatch to the client , and is
now
> done to satisfy regulations etc
> as any pcb made for or in europe has to comply now to RHOS and other
weird
> money making regulations  CE etc
>
> the main problem to get the price down , is to have volume , but you
need to
> weigh the costs of lower output
> being automation and hand soldered i.e labour , the main problem being
> set up a pcb automated build system
> can take 2 -3 hours setup time , even though then it can produce a pcb
in
> about 20 - 30 seconds
>
> they don't like setting up for only a hour production run , as it then
costs
> about the same time as 4 hours
> all lost revenue for them , so it's a trade off in small numbers .
>
> anyhow will let you all know once i have the figures worked out , see
what
> Ethan can find out too
>
> i have access to companys in China and Singapore if they are willing
to do
> them , lets see ,  it's all in the numbers
>
> Dave

Re: AW: Commercial boards

nisma
I have a own design, with rtos, usb bootloader, usb hd.
I can sell the board, but the layout and schematic can not be
released under any gpl licence.
A short description below.

15W 8-14V to 5V isolated step-down converter (oem)          optional
1W 5V to 3.3V isolated step-down converter   (oem)          optional
5V ldo psu 1/3A                                             optional
voltage doubler + 5V ldo for 5V yaw gyro + 5V to 12Volt flash vpp generator
(maxim/LT) for analog sensors (pressure, pyro) supply.      optional
lpc2148 cpu
serial spi flash (8Mbit)
vcc monitoring with i2c memory (cat)
8x 24bit adc for magnetometer, pressure sensor             optional
8x 24bit adc for 3x gyro + rel pressure sensor + 3d accell sensor.  optional
isolated rs232 tranceiver, 1Mbit max
optional 2x isolated rs232 available on request
pic coprocessor (5V) for servo output and ppm input (0.5 uS resolution)
and servo mixing.
3.3V gps

Excepts the component costs, the pcb and assembling costs 15$ / board,
special configuration requires a minimum order of 12 boards (1 panel).

The IR board is sold separatly and costs ~10Euro including
4x IR sensors, (optional coating and housing available on request).

For a new design modification, the pcb overhead is 5$ (film costs).
Because the automatic smd placing is extracted from the eagle files,
there is no extra setup costs.

Regards
Chris

AW: AW: Commercial boards

Ethan Arnold-2
Is the board Paparazzi compatible?
How big is it (dimensions?)
You mention a coprocessor, but what about a main processor?

Is the IR board comparable to the Paparazzi design? I can hardly imagine how
the board+sensors can be only 10 EUR, normally the sensors alone are at
least 25-30$!

Ethan

Re: Re: AW: Commercial boards

Martin Mueller
Hi Chris,

> I have a own design, with rtos, usb bootloader, usb hd.

cool! What USB bootloader firmware are you using? How is the USB HD
attached? USB Host?

Martin

Re: AW: Commercial boards

Yves Touchette

We would have to write servo code for the PIC, something that isn't
currently in Paparazzi.

Which GPS are you using? Are the sensor all on the same board?

Do you have any pictures? Can you provide an approximate cost of a board
with the components?

If you can get you boards manifactured for these price, couldn't you get the
paparazzi board manifactured for similar prices?

thanks for the precisons!

-yvest

>I have a own design, with rtos, usb bootloader, usb hd.
>I can sell the board, but the layout and schematic can not be
>released under any gpl licence.
>A short description below.
>
>15W 8-14V to 5V isolated step-down converter (oem)          optional
>1W 5V to 3.3V isolated step-down converter   (oem)          optional
>5V ldo psu 1/3A                                             optional
>voltage doubler + 5V ldo for 5V yaw gyro + 5V to 12Volt flash vpp generator
>(maxim/LT) for analog sensors (pressure, pyro) supply.      optional
>lpc2148 cpu
>serial spi flash (8Mbit)
>vcc monitoring with i2c memory (cat)
>8x 24bit adc for magnetometer, pressure sensor             optional
>8x 24bit adc for 3x gyro + rel pressure sensor + 3d accell sensor.
>optional
>isolated rs232 tranceiver, 1Mbit max
>optional 2x isolated rs232 available on request
>pic coprocessor (5V) for servo output and ppm input (0.5 uS resolution)
>and servo mixing.
>3.3V gps
>
>Excepts the component costs, the pcb and assembling costs 15$ / board,
>special configuration requires a minimum order of 12 boards (1 panel).
>
>The IR board is sold separatly and costs ~10Euro including
>4x IR sensors, (optional coating and housing available on request).
>
>For a new design modification, the pcb overhead is 5$ (film costs).
>Because the automatic smd placing is extracted from the eagle files,
>there is no extra setup costs.
>
>Regards
>Chris
>
>--
>

>Echte DSL-Flatrate dauerhaft für 0,- Euro*. Nur noch kurze Zeit!
>"Feel free" mit GMX DSL: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

AW: AW: Commercial boards

nisma

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:57:40 +0200
Von: "Ethan Arnold" <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: AW: AW: [Paparazzi-devel] Commercial boards

> Is the board Paparazzi compatible?
some minor sw changes are needed, i have made it on a older paparazzi
branch times ago in two hours. Basically the servos, ppm in and
the modem rs232 is handled trought a single physical link with a coprocessor utilizing encapsulation and logical endpoints.
Further, no audio channel for the video link is implemented.
It´s possible to export the dac with a isolated amplifier to the
5V section, this will add 2-3 Euro. I use a rf-modem, so i don´t
have implemented it.
And there are 6 servo channels available. Servo extension boards
are always possible.
The board have no sensor for the battery voltage, because i use a low
cost smb battery management chip (1.5 Euro) for battery balancing and
status control that provides all this information on the battery pack.
I have opted to totally isolate the battery (motor), servo and
electronic power sections in order that for some reason there is a short
on the motor power electronic or the servo, the costly sensors and cpu
remain intact. This means that i don´t have the same gnd level on the
different power sections and as such i can´t measure the battery
level with the 3V/5V cpu.

> How big is it (dimensions?)
With the analog sensors, 6x4x1 cm.
I have a version without the sensors and external gps module,
this is 2x4 cm.

> You mention a coprocessor, but what about a main processor?
lcp2148 arm, the same as your use actually on your arm paparazzi board.

> Is the IR board comparable to the Paparazzi design? I can hardly imagine
> how
> the board+sensors can be only 10 EUR, normally the sensors alone are at
> least 25-30$!

I source the sensor at 2 Euro in single quantity, 1.80 for quantity 10.
For the pcb, i have payed 30Euro for 40 ir-sensor pcb´s including shipping costs.

Chris

Datum: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:19:28 +0000
Von: "Yves Touchette" <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]

> We would have to write servo code for the PIC, something that isn't
> currently in Paparazzi.
The pic will come preprogrammed and i can make the source code open source.
The reason for the pic was a pure economical in order to get a 0.5 uS resolution.
Utilizing the avr MCU (mega48), the price was triple compared to the
pic because of the needed external osc and increased pcb space.

> Which GPS are you using?
Personally, i use a fastrack oem module (kalman filtering,
3d mode with only 3 satellites in view using external altitude information, 2 for 2d mode, update frequency up to 50 HZ without
kalman filtering), however it´s no problem to use a Ublox or it´s cheaper
second source (only 1Hz update rate, but better power saving mode).
> Are the sensor all on the same board?
With the exception of the gps , yes.
In the case of utilizing the Ubox gps, this will be added to the board
incresing the size for 2cm.

> Do you have any pictures? Can you provide an approximate cost of a board
> with the components?
Sure, i can export the BOM and write it down the actual cost.

> If you can get you boards manifactured for these price, couldn't you get
> the
> paparazzi board manifactured for similar prices?
It´s possible to review the paparazzi board and make a new layout.
As example, jtag bondary scan must be added in addition to some test
points. A new test fixture must be made for testing this board.
Even with layout changes, it´s possible to reuse the same test fixture
as i have used. The library must be exchanged and i must use the one
from the assembler for the correct solder paste and adding some pcb
marks for the placement machine. Test SW must be adapted.
The fixture have a cost of 20-30 Euro, so it´s not that cost.

As you can see, there is necessare some work and i don´t want to have
2-3 different layouts. Maybe i want have a layout with optional components,
that are populated as needed.

Datum: Tue,  1 Aug 2006 00:23:48 +0200 (CEST)
Von: [hidden email]
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: Re: AW: [Paparazzi-devel] Commercial boards

http://www.tnkernel.com/usb_fw_upgrader.html

> How is the USB HD
> attached? USB Host?
> #
No, i have serial flash (1Mbyte or more) and this is viewed as a hd
with configurations file and so on.
For usb-host (usb camera triggering, trasmitting the camera viewfinder
image using a usb-wifi dongle,...) i use either:
http://www.ghielectronics.com/USBwiz-OEM.htm , a cheap board
with the possibility to flash proper firmware, for triggering
usb cameras, 50$ in quantity 10,
or http://www.acmesystems.it/?id=4 ,a low weigth and full industrial
temperature linux board (120$ in single quantity).