Commercial Application

Christian Menge
Guys,

I'm new and have a couple questions about Paparazzi:

(1) We would like to use the software in a commercial fixed wing application, how reliable is this technology/software?

Requirments:

a. - Ability to fly in moderate to bad weather, wind, cloud, fog.
b. - Ability to be controlled within a five mile range.
c. - Two hour endurance.
d. - Automatic landing
e. - Ability to control aircraft from a ground station.
f. - Ability to get close to real-time feedback of aircraft telemetry, video, altitude, GPS location, etc

(2) Is Paparazzi currently being developed, I noticed several of the project pages have not been updated in years?

Thanks!

Christian

Re: Commercial Application

antoine.drouin
Hi Christian

Christian Menge wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I'm new and have a couple questions about Paparazzi:
>
> (1) We would like to use the software in a commercial fixed wing
> application, how reliable is this technology/software?
>
> Requirments:
>
> a. - Ability to fly in moderate to bad weather, wind, cloud, fog.
Ability to sustain wind mostly depends on your airframe choice. The
faster the better, but a high airspeed has drawbacks in term of
endurance, landing and takeoff ease etc...
The infrared sensors won't work inside clouds, under heavy rain or
inside dense fog.
> b. - Ability to be controlled within a five mile range.
The range depends on you radio modem choice. Some people are using 1W
Maxtream units which give a very long range. Tests are planed using GPRS
modems.

> c. - Two hour endurance.
Again, depends on your airframe choice - The 200-300g airframes are more
in the range of 30 minutes endurance - The 1.5kg twinstar with lipos and
brushless can do 2 hours.
Combustion engine will allow even more, but have other drawbacks.

Their is no such thing as a perfect airframe, only airframes adapted to
a particular mission.
Once of the strong points of Paparazzi is its ability to be configured
for all sort of airframes.

> d. - Automatic landing
Depends on the size of the landing site, the speed of the airframe
etc... :)

> e. - Ability to control aircraft from a ground station.
We have that
> f. - Ability to get close to real-time feedback of aircraft telemetry,
> video, altitude, GPS location, etc

We have that too

> (2) Is Paparazzi currently being developed, I noticed several of the
> project pages have not been updated in years?

Paparazzi is very much developed and  the user base is always increasing.
The homepage at savannah is somewhat dead due to lack of time.
The wiki at ENAC ( http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/doc ) is more
alive.
The most active media is the irc chanel ( freenode #paparazzi )
A look at the CVS will give you the best indications about development pace.

> Thanks!
>
> Christian

You're welcome

Antoine

Re: Commercial Application

Christian Menge
Martin,

(1) I appreciate the detailed response....thanks! The link you sent me is interesting, I'm a little confused, I thought Paparazzi was open source, meaning that any commercial operations would need to publish all changes to the source code.

(2) Concerning the bad weather feature, could we not use gyro stabalization instead of IR?

(3) We would like to mount a camera to the aircraft so the user can track monitor automobile traffic.

Regards,

Christian

Re: Commercial Application

John Murphy-2

On 6/23/06, Christian Menge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Martin,

(1) I appreciate the detailed response....thanks! The link you sent me is interesting, I'm a little confused, I thought Paparazzi was open source, meaning that any commercial operations would need to publish all changes to the source code.

The link he sent was one source for pre-made aircraft using papparazi.  It is open source, checkout the CVS repository for the goods.

Re: Commercial Application

Martin Mueller
Hi Christian,

hmmm, seems I broke the email address by removing the 'g' from nongnu.org...

> (1) I appreciate the detailed response....thanks! The link you sent me
> is interesting, I'm a little confused, I thought Paparazzi was open
> source, meaning that any commercial operations would need to publish all
> changes to the source code.

Yes, fully open source - so you will find a lot of software commited by
Anton and Jeremy :-)

> (2) Concerning the bad weather feature, could we not use gyro
> stabalization instead of IR?

Sure. There are some efforts going that direction, see the IMU hardware
in the cvs. It makes the whole thing a lot more complicated, though. The
IR gives you absolute attitude at almost no (processor) cost. Especially
small aircrafts are a lot simpler to implement than with gyros.

As most of the UAVs do surveilance...you normally don't fly in fog anyway?

> (3) We would like to mount a camera to the aircraft so the user can
> track monitor automobile traffic.

That's what we did - see the videos on the paparazzi page or pfump.org.
The Glotzer aircraft has a 2-axis stabilized camera that keeps its eyes
on a given location.

Martin