Clarification for Tiny 1.3 pcb and schematic

Clarification for Tiny 1.3 pcb and schematic

John Koches
Hello,

First, I want to congratulate everyone at Paparazzi on the work that you are doing and the accomplishments that you have shared thus far.  It is truly astonishing how you have been able to package this technology which has so many useful applications in the research field.

I work for the Annis Water Resources Institute at Grand Valley State University located in West Michigan, USA.  I run a small laboratory that does research in watershed management.  More specifically, my team collects remote sensing data and uses Geographic Information System (GIS) tools to help local units of government and regional planning agencies better manage our natural resources.  While our work includes a lot of on-the-ground data collection involving water quality factors, we are also using a radio controlled airplane equipped with a digital camera to collect small scale low altitude aerial photographs.  As we get better at this we will use this tool to monitor changes on high quality habitats as part of a sustainability initiative we are helping to organize in this area.  The advantages associated with using an autopilot that provides gps telemetry are considerable!  It is my hope to eventually involve our school of engineering in the development of suitable airframes and additional environmental sensors.  But for right now I would just like to get a prototype up and running to demonstrate the concept.

I have ordered the parts for the Tiny 13 v 1.1 pcb.  I had a small manufacturing facility help with the actual creation of the board, but need to fix the SMD components myself.  My son is an embedded systems engineer and works for a local firm in the area and promises to help me with this step, but I was doing some preliminary checking just to make sure everything was in order.  I discovered in examining the actual board and the parts that have been delivered that the 1.1_bom.zip file on page  http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/wiki/index.php/Tiny has omitted the BUTTON and the LEDs.  I only mention this in case you are looking for comments and want to make corrections to your postings.  Of course, it might be there and I just didn't catch it.  I took the part numbers for these components off of the Tiny 0.99 BOM.

I have just a couple questions regarding the parts labeled U$1 and U$5.  Referring to part U$1 the BOM has a note, "is this correct? I had to guess".  I assumed that this was the correct part and went ahead and ordered it as listed.  Is this appropriate?

Referring to part U$5.  The schematic refers to this part as U$5G$? I just want to make sure I am talking about the right component.  It is divided into two halves on the schematic.  I believe this is the PPM Frame Decoder that is referenced in the conceptual diagram.  Please let me know if I am way off here.  I have had some problems following the pin assignments out of this schematic, but from what I can tell everything seems to be consistent with continuity coming from both the top and the bottom of the board.  Also, I am only using the first three or four servo assignments anyway, right?  I am sure I will have many more questions as issues are bound to develop.

Thanks again for all of your good work and I look forward to participating in at least some small way to this substantial effort.

Best Wishes,

jkk

John K. Koches
Associate Research Scientist
Information Services Center
Annis Water Resources Institute
Grand Valley State University

Lake Michigan Center
740 W. Shoreline Drive
Muskegon, MI 49441

616/331-3792

John Koches.vcf (124 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Clarification for Tiny 1.3 pcb and schematic

vespa@juno.com
John,

Welcome to the project!  It sounds like you have an exciting
application in mind.

The button and LEDs are both optional, and correct part numbers can be
carried thru from the 0.99 BOM.

U$1 is an optional auxiliary power switch intended to turn the video
or other payload system on/off and the P/N is correct in the BOM.

U$5 is the servo driver (PPM decoder) and is internally divided into
two independent sections that are combined externally by joining pins
10 and 15.  This is only schematic convention and will be transparent
to you during assembly.  You may notice the software implications of
this as you set up your servos, the logical references are divided
into two banks.

I have updated the BOM, and encourage you to add any alternate part
numbers/vendors to the list as you find them since parts are
occasionally out of stock.

Good luck to you and be sure to check the IRC channel for the latest
activities.

Jeremy

[...]

akochevar
John,
Welcome to Paparazzi.  Hopefully Jeremy answered all of your questions.  Good to see someone from the north country get involved.  Im originally from Traverse City, MI and had some good friends attend Western.  If you have more questions feel free to post them here, or in the IRC channel.

Anton Kochevar

[...]

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER