ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Dear all,

We have just integrated in the latest master branch of Paparazzi a
proper support of the ChibiOS HAL and RT kernel v3.1.

Previously, we had an uncomfortable mix of ChibiOS and libopencm3 whose
purpose was to log file on the SD card of the Apogee board.

Now, there is a proper implementation of the MCU drivers only using
ChibiOS HAL. At the moment, each driver runs in his own thread, while
the rest of the autopilot is running in a monolithic thread. This may
evolve in the future, but it is already possible to create payload
modules that start and run into dedicated threads for instance.
The previous functionalities, especially logging using the SDIO port are
of course preserved.

Only the Apogee board is supported, but this can be easily extended to
other STM32F4 boards (e.g. Lisa/MX) and probably STM32F1 boards as well.

For complete changes, see https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1699.

If you encounter any issues regarding this new architecture support,
please report to us.

Thanks to Felix and Michal for reviewing and initial implementation.

Happy Flights :)

Gautier Hattenberger for the Paparazzi Dev Team

Re: ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi

Also if you update/pul from your existing git repo, you will have to run
git submodule update
before calling make (as the repo url of the chibios submodule change).

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Gautier Hattenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris
I get those errors when i try to compile:

hendrix@TR3B:~/paparazzi$ git submodule update
fatal: reference is not a tree: 3a6e100efce969b984958f78c13f1c770e5fb730
Submodule path 'sw/ext/fatfs': checked out '169a1acbfceb730a3e7bcc1b7e368b0cbb9de424'
Unable to checkout '3a6e100efce969b984958f78c13f1c770e5fb730' in submodule path 'sw/ext/chibios'
hendrix@TR3B:~/paparazzi$

AND

  CC      luftboot.c
luftboot.c: In function 'main':
luftboot.c:481:9: note: #pragma message: Luftboot using 12MHz external clock to PLL it to 72MHz.
 #pragma message "Luftboot using 12MHz external clock to PLL it to 72MHz."
         ^
  CC      luftboot.elf
  create  luftboot.bin
  create  luftboot.hex
fatal: reference is not a tree: 3a6e100efce969b984958f78c13f1c770e5fb730
Unable to checkout '3a6e100efce969b984958f78c13f1c770e5fb730' in submodule path 'sw/ext/chibios'
make[1]: *** [chibios.update] Error 1
make: *** [ext] Error 2

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Felix Ruess <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tilman Baumann-3
On 07/06/16 16:38, Gautier Hattenberger wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We have just integrated in the latest master branch of Paparazzi a
> proper support of the ChibiOS HAL and RT kernel v3.1.
>
> Previously, we had an uncomfortable mix of ChibiOS and libopencm3
> whose purpose was to log file on the SD card of the Apogee board.
>
> Now, there is a proper implementation of the MCU drivers only using
> ChibiOS HAL. At the moment, each driver runs in his own thread, while
> the rest of the autopilot is running in a monolithic thread. This may
> evolve in the future, but it is already possible to create payload
> modules that start and run into dedicated threads for instance.
> The previous functionalities, especially logging using the SDIO port
> are of course preserved.
This is great news indeed.
I seem to remember that the core used to be split into a AP and a FBW
bit and even used to run on separate CPU. Has that split, over time,
grown together too much to be ripped apart again?
Or was that just not a priority?
Then there is of course the question if it's even worth it...

Re: ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi

Christophe De Wagter
The FBW - AP has not changed very much for fixedwings and can still run on separate processors. Moreover: for rotorcraft it was recently added.

Obviously a thread safe copy mechanism still needs to be added to run AP and FBW in 2 threads but that should(TM) be relatively simple.

-Christophe

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Tilman Baumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/06/16 16:38, Gautier Hattenberger wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We have just integrated in the latest master branch of Paparazzi a
> proper support of the ChibiOS HAL and RT kernel v3.1.
>
> Previously, we had an uncomfortable mix of ChibiOS and libopencm3
> whose purpose was to log file on the SD card of the Apogee board.
>
> Now, there is a proper implementation of the MCU drivers only using
> ChibiOS HAL. At the moment, each driver runs in his own thread, while
> the rest of the autopilot is running in a monolithic thread. This may
> evolve in the future, but it is already possible to create payload
> modules that start and run into dedicated threads for instance.
> The previous functionalities, especially logging using the SDIO port
> are of course preserved.
This is great news indeed.
I seem to remember that the core used to be split into a AP and a FBW
bit and even used to run on separate CPU. Has that split, over time,
grown together too much to be ripped apart again?
Or was that just not a priority?
Then there is of course the question if it's even worth it...

Re: ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi

Gautier Hattenberger-3
And the next step is indeed to do that!

Gautier

Le 08/06/2016 10:26, Christophe De Wagter a écrit :
The FBW - AP has not changed very much for fixedwings and can still run on separate processors. Moreover: for rotorcraft it was recently added.

Obviously a thread safe copy mechanism still needs to be added to run AP and FBW in 2 threads but that should(TM) be relatively simple.

-Christophe

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Tilman Baumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/06/16 16:38, Gautier Hattenberger wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We have just integrated in the latest master branch of Paparazzi a
> proper support of the ChibiOS HAL and RT kernel v3.1.
>
> Previously, we had an uncomfortable mix of ChibiOS and libopencm3
> whose purpose was to log file on the SD card of the Apogee board.
>
> Now, there is a proper implementation of the MCU drivers only using
> ChibiOS HAL. At the moment, each driver runs in his own thread, while
> the rest of the autopilot is running in a monolithic thread. This may
> evolve in the future, but it is already possible to create payload
> modules that start and run into dedicated threads for instance.
> The previous functionalities, especially logging using the SDIO port
> are of course preserved.
This is great news indeed.
I seem to remember that the core used to be split into a AP and a FBW
bit and even used to run on separate CPU. Has that split, over time,
grown together too much to be ripped apart again?
Or was that just not a priority?
Then there is of course the question if it's even worth it...

Re: ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi

Alexandre Bustico
Le 08/06/2016 10:26, Christophe De Wagter a écrit :

> Obviously a thread safe copy mechanism still needs to be added to run
> AP and FBW in 2 threads but that should(TM) be relatively simple.

Having AP and FBW in 2 threads is a good start for increasing security,
but using the MPU (memory protection unit) to guarantee
that AP or any other thread (payload managing thread) cannot  trash the
private memory of FBW would be even better.

Unfortunately, MPU of armv7-e (F4 and F7) is not so easy to use, and not
yet abstracted by ChibiOS.

--
Alexandre

Re: ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi

Hwarm
Dear Gautier Hattenberger,
tank you for the work.

Is there a way to run hardware debug support with ChibiOS and SWD with
the Linux OS ?
For the ChibiOS  there exist  a Eclipse development tool with
semihosting support but only for XP and Windows7.

regards,

Heinrich

Am 07.06.2016 16:38, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:

> Dear all,
>
> We have just integrated in the latest master branch of Paparazzi a
> proper support of the ChibiOS HAL and RT kernel v3.1.
>
> Previously, we had an uncomfortable mix of ChibiOS and libopencm3
> whose purpose was to log file on the SD card of the Apogee board.
>
> Now, there is a proper implementation of the MCU drivers only using
> ChibiOS HAL. At the moment, each driver runs in his own thread, while
> the rest of the autopilot is running in a monolithic thread. This may
> evolve in the future, but it is already possible to create payload
> modules that start and run into dedicated threads for instance.
> The previous functionalities, especially logging using the SDIO port
> are of course preserved.
>
> Only the Apogee board is supported, but this can be easily extended to
> other STM32F4 boards (e.g. Lisa/MX) and probably STM32F1 boards as well.
>
> For complete changes, see
> https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1699.
>
> If you encounter any issues regarding this new architecture support,
> please report to us.
>
> Thanks to Felix and Michal for reviewing and initial implementation.
>
> Happy Flights :)
>
> Gautier Hattenberger for the Paparazzi Dev Team

Re: ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi

Gautier Hattenberger-3
I'm using a Black Magic Probe with GDB from my Linux in a terminal. If
you want an integration in Eclipse, it is probably possible if you
configure things yourself, but I can't help, I'm not using Eclipse.

Gautier

Le 13/06/2016 12:52, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Warmers a écrit :

> Dear Gautier Hattenberger,
> tank you for the work.
>
> Is there a way to run hardware debug support with ChibiOS and SWD with
> the Linux OS ?
> For the ChibiOS  there exist  a Eclipse development tool with
> semihosting support but only for XP and Windows7.
>
> regards,
>
> Heinrich
>

> Am 07.06.2016 16:38, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> We have just integrated in the latest master branch of Paparazzi a
>> proper support of the ChibiOS HAL and RT kernel v3.1.
>>
>> Previously, we had an uncomfortable mix of ChibiOS and libopencm3
>> whose purpose was to log file on the SD card of the Apogee board.
>>
>> Now, there is a proper implementation of the MCU drivers only using
>> ChibiOS HAL. At the moment, each driver runs in his own thread, while
>> the rest of the autopilot is running in a monolithic thread. This may
>> evolve in the future, but it is already possible to create payload
>> modules that start and run into dedicated threads for instance.
>> The previous functionalities, especially logging using the SDIO port
>> are of course preserved.
>>
>> Only the Apogee board is supported, but this can be easily extended
>> to other STM32F4 boards (e.g. Lisa/MX) and probably STM32F1 boards as
>> well.
>>
>> For complete changes, see
>> https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1699.
>>
>> If you encounter any issues regarding this new architecture support,
>> please report to us.
>>
>> Thanks to Felix and Michal for reviewing and initial implementation.
>>
>> Happy Flights :)
>>
>> Gautier Hattenberger for the Paparazzi Dev Team

Re: ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi

Hwarm
Dear Gautier Hattenberger,

work the Black Magic Probe also with  Chbios- tasks?
With the OpenOCD and GDB  i had problems since each Task has his own
heap and stack.
regards,

Heinrich

Le 15/06/2016 11:04, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Warmers a écrit :
> Dear Gautier Hattenberger,
>
> work the Black Magic Probe also with  Chbios- tasks?
> With the OpenOCD and GDB  i had problems since each Task has his own
> heap and stack.
> regards,
>
> Heinrich

Hello,

Each task has his own stack, but the heap is global to all tasks.

With black magic probe, we have no problem to debug, it's even more
reliable than the openocd way.

There is some plugins in eclipse and chibi studio to have a view of
stack occupation, and that plugin is
not compatible with black magic probe, but, for now, we have seen that
we can live without.
There are other solutions for stack occupation, one can leave chibios
check for stack overflow,
and periodically check it at runtime.

Alexandre

Re: ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi

Hwarm
Dear Alexandre Bustico,
tank you for the answer. I will make a test with the Black Magic Probe.
regards,

Heinrich

Am 15.06.2016 11:19, schrieb Alexandre Bustico:

> Le 15/06/2016 11:04, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Warmers a écrit :
>> Dear Gautier Hattenberger,
>>
>> work the Black Magic Probe also with  Chbios- tasks?
>> With the OpenOCD and GDB  i had problems since each Task has his own
>> heap and stack.
>> regards,
>>
>> Heinrich
>
> Hello,
>
> Each task has his own stack, but the heap is global to all tasks.
>
> With black magic probe, we have no problem to debug, it's even more
> reliable than the openocd way.
>
> There is some plugins in eclipse and chibi studio to have a view of
> stack occupation, and that plugin is
> not compatible with black magic probe, but, for now, we have seen that
> we can live without.
> There are other solutions for stack occupation, one can leave chibios
> check for stack overflow,
> and periodically check it at runtime.
>
> Alexandre

Re: ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi

Michal Podhradsky
Dear all,

we have a dedicated wiki page about RT paparazzi: https://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/RT_Paparazzi
I just updated it to be up to date, so hopefully it will be helpful for you.

There is HOWTO about (RT) Paparazzi debugging from Eclipse: https://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/RT_Paparazzi#Debugging_with_an_Eclipse_IDE

And also HOWTO about setting up ChibiStudio plugins in Eclipse so you can view stack usage, thread memory, trace buffer etc. https://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/RT_Paparazzi#ChibiOS_Eclipse_plugin

Note that debugging RT Paparazzi from Eclipse with Black Magic Probe currently doesn't work very well (I suspect some bug on Eclipse IDE side), but debugging from terminal works just fine.

Also, if you want to compile paparazzi flight code from Eclipse here is how: https://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/RT_Paparazzi#Compiling_Paparazzi_code_in_Eclipse

Regards
Michal