Carry Environmental Sensors

Lukas Siebicke
Hello Paparazzi people,
I am new to your project, but I am really excited about what you have achieved so far.
On the search for a platform to carry environmental sensors I came across Paparazzi and it seems to be almost perfect.

What I would like to do:
-Carry (one) camera for high resolution arial photographs (start with a standard digital camera, expand to multispectral later if possible),
-Carry sensors for meteorological measurements,
-increase flight time, use solar power if possible,

My background:
I have build and flown model airplanes in the past, I fly myself, and I have had quite a few thoughts about autopilot related stuff. Currently I work on a thesis about meteorological measurements.
My University would be happy to use Paparazzi like technology for arial imagery.

What I would like to have:
-an autopilot system to install and test on one of my planes (or on one of your workhorses),
-an estimate how much time it takes for a person with some basic programming knowledge etc. (I’m not a freak, guru or anything) to get together a ready to fly autopilot,
-information on what has been achieved in terms of taking pictures (I’ve seen some on your website),
-please get in touch if you could imagine to carry some sensors for the university or if we can arrange a meeting in southern Germany some time (is that were most of you are?).

Looking forward to any kind of feedback,

Cheers,
Lukas

Re: Carry Environmental Sensors

antoine.drouin
Hi Lukas

Your problems seem well in the range of what our autopilot capabilities.
There are already several universities using it.
Regarding the supply of hardware, we have plan to have a new batch of
classix board ( twin arm7 ) manufactured in a near future.
Regarding the computer and linux knowledge, there is some need, but
don't get scared, others have succeded.
Regarding the pictures, the sample on the website are snapshot from a
downlinked videostream - it should be possible to achieve much better
quality using a digital camera.
Regarding meeting someone in real life, we have indeed some members in
germany - take a look at this page : http://pfump.org/

Maybe you'd like to come and discuss all this on our IRC chanel (
freenode #paparazzi)

Best Regards

Antoine