Bungee Takeoff failure

Erik Petersen
Hi everyone!

I've got a problem with the Bungee Routine. All variables are set properly,
but my UAV does not deroute into the next block. it's just heading straight
forward. The bungee routine itself works.
can anyone help me find the mistake?

Sincerely,
Erik Petersen

--
Erik Petersen
Institut für Geographie

Telefon:  +49 (0) 821 598-2765
Email:  [hidden email]
http://www.geo.uni-augsburg.de/lehrstuehle/phygeo/personal/petersen/

Re: Bungee Takeoff failure

Hi Erik,

can you please provide some more details?
What Paparazzi version are you using? Please post (a link to) your airframe config, flight plan, etc..

Cheers, Felix

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Erik Petersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've got a problem with the Bungee Routine. All variables are set properly,
but my UAV does not deroute into the next block. it's just heading straight
forward. The bungee routine itself works.
can anyone help me find the mistake?

Sincerely,
Erik Petersen

--
Erik Petersen
Institut für Geographie
Universität Augsburg
Universitaetsstrasse 10
D - 86135 Augsburg

Telefon:  <a href="tel:%2B49%20%280%29%20821%20598-2765" value="+498215982765">+49 (0) 821 598-2765
Email:  [hidden email]
http://www.geo.uni-augsburg.de/lehrstuehle/phygeo/personal/petersen/

Re: Bungee Takeoff failure

Erik Petersen
Hi Felix,

shure, sorry could have thought to mention the version. It's Paparazzi
Version 5.11.

A link to my airframe and flightplan is here:
https://megastore.uni-augsburg.de/get/prMQ6tYteu/

Thank you!

Best regards,
Erik

Am 2017-01-15 19:16, schrieb Felix Ruess:

> Hi Erik,
>
> can you please provide some more details?
> What Paparazzi version are you using? Please post (a link to) your
> airframe
> config, flight plan, etc..
>
> Cheers, Felix
>
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Erik Petersen <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> I've got a problem with the Bungee Routine. All variables are set
>> properly,
>> but my UAV does not deroute into the next block. it's just heading
>> straight
>> forward. The bungee routine itself works.
>> can anyone help me find the mistake?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Erik Petersen
>>
>> --
>> Erik Petersen
>> Institut für Geographie
>> Universität Augsburg
>> Universitaetsstrasse 10
>> D - 86135 Augsburg
>>
>> Telefon:  +49 (0) 821 598-2765
>> Email:  [hidden email]
>> http://www.geo.uni-augsburg.de/lehrstuehle/phygeo/personal/petersen/

Re: Bungee Takeoff failure

Hi Erik,

so if I understand you correctly, the bungee routine turns on the throttle as expected, right?

Does the aircraft ever gain significant height? How high did it go until you presumably took over or switched to another flight plan block manually?
I see the altitude of your Bungee waypoint is 560m (50m above ground_alt).

Also in the bungee code there is a FIXME?
https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/sw/airborne/modules/nav/nav_bungee_takeoff.c#L148

It seems that it will currently only exit the bungee routine (and deroute) if you are 15m (BUNGEE_TAKEOFF_HEIGHT) above the Bungee waypoint altitude, so at 75m above ground_alt.
I presume you didn't let it get that far?

So to me it sounds like this should be fixed in the Bungee routine as mentioned in the FIXME by Gautier with the rewrite in https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1074
@gautierhattenberger I think it should indeed add the BUNGEE_TAKEOFF_HEIGHT to the current aircraft altitude when the setup is run (and not ground_alt and neither the WP alt as it currently is).

Cheers, Felix

[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I've got a problem with the Bungee Routine. All variables are set properly,
but my UAV does not deroute into the next block. it's just heading straight
forward. The bungee routine itself works.
can anyone help me find the mistake?

Sincerely,
Erik Petersen

--
Erik Petersen
Institut für Geographie
Universität Augsburg
Universitaetsstrasse 10
D - 86135 Augsburg

Telefon:  <a href="tel:%2B49%20%280%29%20821%20598-2765" value="+498215982765" target="_blank">+49 (0) 821 598-2765
Email:  [hidden email]
http://www.geo.uni-augsburg.de/lehrstuehle/phygeo/personal/petersen/

Re: Bungee Takeoff failure

Gautier Hattenberger-3

Hi Erik,

Could you try with the following fix:

https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1988

Note that you'll probably have to update your flight plan for latest master changes and use 'call_once' for instruction that are actually called only one time (see https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1967)

Gautier

[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I've got a problem with the Bungee Routine. All variables are set properly,
but my UAV does not deroute into the next block. it's just heading straight
forward. The bungee routine itself works.
can anyone help me find the mistake?

Sincerely,
Erik Petersen

--
Erik Petersen
Institut für Geographie
Universität Augsburg
Universitaetsstrasse 10
D - 86135 Augsburg

Telefon:  <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B49%20%280%29%20821%20598-2765" value="+498215982765" target="_blank">+49 (0) 821 598-2765
Email:  [hidden email]
http://www.geo.uni-augsburg.de/lehrstuehle/phygeo/personal/petersen/

Re: Bungee Takeoff failure

Erik Petersen
Hi,

first we tried to simply add a altitude to the bungee waypoint. This did
not work, I don't really know if it should?

Furthermore now the UAV jumps into Kill-Mode after getting into the
bungee block. But I did not update my flight plan.

Due to lack of time I propably cannot test the Bungee Routine with the
changed c-Code which Felix Ruess provided this week.

Thanks for the help.

Best regards,
Erik

Am 2017-01-18 10:50, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:

> [...]
>>     <https://megastore.uni-augsburg.de/get/prMQ6tYteu/>
>>
>>     Thank you!
>>
>>     Best regards,
>>     Erik
>>

>>     Am 2017-01-15 19:16, schrieb Felix Ruess:
>>
>>         Hi Erik,
>>
>>         can you please provide some more details?
>>         What Paparazzi version are you using? Please post (a link to)
>>         your airframe
>>         config, flight plan, etc..
>>
>>         Cheers, Felix
>>
>>         On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Erik Petersen <
>>         [hidden email]
>>         <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>             Hi everyone!
>>
>>             I've got a problem with the Bungee Routine. All variables
>>             are set properly,
>>             but my UAV does not deroute into the next block. it's just
>>             heading straight
>>             forward. The bungee routine itself works.

During the first part of the bungee take-off, the throttle is killed on
purpose. It will come back alive after crossing the "throttle" line. So
you should not un-kill your plane by hand in the flight plan (nor set
the launch variable to 1, this will be done automatically later and can
have side effect if done too early).

Do you have some flight logs of your tests, so we can see when it starts
to fail?

Your DISTANCE parameter seems to be set to 10 currently. So it means
that the throttle will be turned on when the plane is 10 meters *after
the bungee attach point* defined by the bungee waypoint. I remember from
our test that it is a bit far and we had better results with -5 or -10
(so a few meters before the bungee point).

Gautier

Le 18/01/2017 à 11:12, Erik Petersen a écrit :

> [...]
>>>     <https://megastore.uni-augsburg.de/get/prMQ6tYteu/>
>>>
>>>     Thank you!
>>>
>>>     Best regards,
>>>     Erik
>>>

>>>     Am 2017-01-15 19:16, schrieb Felix Ruess:
>>>
>>>         Hi Erik,
>>>
>>>         can you please provide some more details?
>>>         What Paparazzi version are you using? Please post (a link to)
>>>         your airframe
>>>         config, flight plan, etc..
>>>
>>>         Cheers, Felix
>>>
>>>         On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Erik Petersen <
>>>         [hidden email]
>>>         <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>             Hi everyone!
>>>
>>>             I've got a problem with the Bungee Routine. All variables
>>>             are set properly,
>>>             but my UAV does not deroute into the next block. it's just
>>>             heading straight
>>>             forward. The bungee routine itself works.

we just tried the c-Code change, but still the UAS went into Kill-Mode.

Maybe this advice will help. Should I comment out the unlock throttle
block:

<block name="Unlock_throttle">
       <set value="1" var="launch"/>
       <set value="0" var="kill_throttle"/>
       <set value="0" var="autopilot_flight_time"/>
       <deroute block="Bungee Start"/>
     </block>

for this reason?

Thanks!!

Am 2017-01-18 11:24, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:

> During the first part of the bungee take-off, the throttle is killed
> on purpose. It will come back alive after crossing the "throttle"
> line. So you should not un-kill your plane by hand in the flight plan
> (nor set the launch variable to 1, this will be done automatically
> later and can have side effect if done too early).
>
> Do you have some flight logs of your tests, so we can see when it
> starts to fail?
>
> Your DISTANCE parameter seems to be set to 10 currently. So it means
> that the throttle will be turned on when the plane is 10 meters *after
> the bungee attach point* defined by the bungee waypoint. I remember
> from our test that it is a bit far and we had better results with -5
> or -10 (so a few meters before the bungee point).
>
> Gautier
>

> Le 18/01/2017 à 11:12, Erik Petersen a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> first we tried to simply add a altitude to the bungee waypoint. This
>> did not work, I don't really know if it should?
>>
>> Furthermore now the UAV jumps into Kill-Mode after getting into the
>> bungee block. But I did not update my flight plan.
>>
>> Due to lack of time I propably cannot test the Bungee Routine with the
>> changed c-Code which Felix Ruess provided this week.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Erik
>>
>> Am 2017-01-18 10:50, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:
>>> Hi Erik,
>>>
>>> Could you try with the following fix:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1988
>>>
>>> Note that you'll probably have to update your flight plan for latest
>>> master changes and use 'call_once' for instruction that are actually
>>> called only one time (see
>>> https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1967)
>>>
>>> Gautier

Re: Bungee Takeoff failure

Gautier Hattenberger-3
You shouldn't need this block. The throttle should be restart
automatically during the launch procedure. You should adjust your
parameters so that it doesn't happen too late or too early.

Am 2017-01-18 11:34, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:

> You shouldn't need this block. The throttle should be restart
> automatically during the launch procedure. You should adjust your
> parameters so that it doesn't happen too late or too early.
>

> Le 18/01/2017 à 11:31, Erik Petersen a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> we just tried the c-Code change, but still the UAS went into
>> Kill-Mode.
>>
>> Maybe this advice will help. Should I comment out the unlock throttle
>> block:
>>
>> <block name="Unlock_throttle">
>>       <set value="1" var="launch"/>
>>       <set value="0" var="kill_throttle"/>
>>       <set value="0" var="autopilot_flight_time"/>
>>       <deroute block="Bungee Start"/>
>>     </block>
>>
>> for this reason?
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Am 2017-01-18 11:24, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:
>>> During the first part of the bungee take-off, the throttle is killed
>>> on purpose. It will come back alive after crossing the "throttle"
>>> line. So you should not un-kill your plane by hand in the flight plan
>>> (nor set the launch variable to 1, this will be done automatically
>>> later and can have side effect if done too early).
>>>
>>> Do you have some flight logs of your tests, so we can see when it
>>> starts to fail?
>>>
>>> Your DISTANCE parameter seems to be set to 10 currently. So it means
>>> that the throttle will be turned on when the plane is 10 meters
>>> *after
>>> the bungee attach point* defined by the bungee waypoint. I remember
>>> from our test that it is a bit far and we had better results with -5
>>> or -10 (so a few meters before the bungee point).
>>>
>>> Gautier

Re: Bungee Takeoff failure

Erik Petersen
Now we tried to launch without this block, but still the UAS went into
kill mode directly after the Bungee routine. I attached to flight
recorder files.

Am 2017-01-18 11:34, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:

> You shouldn't need this block. The throttle should be restart
> automatically during the launch procedure. You should adjust your
> parameters so that it doesn't happen too late or too early.
>

> Le 18/01/2017 à 11:31, Erik Petersen a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> we just tried the c-Code change, but still the UAS went into
>> Kill-Mode.
>>
>> Maybe this advice will help. Should I comment out the unlock throttle
>> block:
>>
>> <block name="Unlock_throttle">
>>       <set value="1" var="launch"/>
>>       <set value="0" var="kill_throttle"/>
>>       <set value="0" var="autopilot_flight_time"/>
>>       <deroute block="Bungee Start"/>
>>     </block>
>>
>> for this reason?
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Am 2017-01-18 11:24, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:
>>> During the first part of the bungee take-off, the throttle is killed
>>> on purpose. It will come back alive after crossing the "throttle"
>>> line. So you should not un-kill your plane by hand in the flight plan
>>> (nor set the launch variable to 1, this will be done automatically
>>> later and can have side effect if done too early).
>>>
>>> Do you have some flight logs of your tests, so we can see when it
>>> starts to fail?
>>>
>>> Your DISTANCE parameter seems to be set to 10 currently. So it means
>>> that the throttle will be turned on when the plane is 10 meters
>>> *after
>>> the bungee attach point* defined by the bungee waypoint. I remember
>>> from our test that it is a bit far and we had better results with -5
>>> or -10 (so a few meters before the bungee point).
>>>
>>> Gautier

fr_0035.LOG (399K) Download Attachment
fr_0036.LOG (142K) Download Attachment

Re: Bungee Takeoff failure

Gautier Hattenberger-3

These are the onboard logs, I can't extract them properly without your conf file. Can you send me the ground station log instead (in var/logs folder). Thanks

[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

            Paparazzi-devel mailing list
            [hidden email] [hidden email]

Re: Bungee Takeoff failure

Erik Petersen
Sure! Thanks for your time.

Am 2017-01-18 11:49, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:

> These are the onboard logs, I can't extract them properly without your
> conf file. Can you send me the ground station log instead (in var/logs
> folder). Thanks
>

> Le 18/01/2017 à 11:45, Erik Petersen a écrit :
>> Now we tried to launch without this block, but still the UAS went into
>> kill mode directly after the Bungee routine. I attached to flight
>> recorder files.
>>

>> Am 2017-01-18 11:34, schrieb Gautier Hattenberger:
>>> You shouldn't need this block. The throttle should be restart
>>> automatically during the launch procedure. You should adjust your
>>> parameters so that it doesn't happen too late or too early.

17_01_18__11_23_54.data (96K) Download Attachment
17_01_18__11_23_54.log (625K) Download Attachment
17_01_18__11_36_24.data (74K) Download Attachment
17_01_18__11_36_24.log (624K) Download Attachment

Re: Bungee Takeoff failure

Gautier Hattenberger-3

From what I can see, everything is normal, you just need to let the plane go and it *should* work...

http://www.geo.uni-augsburg.de/lehrstuehle/phygeo/personal/petersen/ <http://www.geo.uni-augsburg.de/lehrstuehle/phygeo/personal/petersen/> _______________________________________________
            Paparazzi-devel mailing list
            [hidden email] [hidden email]

Re: Bungee Takeoff failure

Erik, not sure which c code change you now tested...
Please note that Gautier provided the proper fix in the pull request (already merge to master).
You have to use stateGetPositionUtm_f()->alt and not stateGetPositionEnu_f()->z as I originally wrote.

From what I can see, everything is normal, you just need to let the plane go and it *should* work...

[hidden email]> wrote:

            Hi everyone!

            I've got a problem with the Bungee Routine. All variables
            are set properly,
            but my UAV does not deroute into the next block. it's just
            heading straight
            forward. The bungee routine itself works.
            can anyone help me find the mistake?

            Sincerely,
            Erik Petersen

            --
            Erik Petersen
            Institut für Geographie
            Universität Augsburg
            Universitaetsstrasse 10
            D - 86135 Augsburg

            Telefon: <a href="tel:+49%20821%205982765" value="+498215982765" target="_blank">+49 (0) 821 598-2765