Apogee RC not Working Properly

Pengzhi Tian
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on an Apogee board, however I couldn't get RC working properly. I am using a Spektrum DX7s transmitter. As you might already know, Apogee can take both ppm signal or Spektrum directly. I tried both, however, none of these seem to work properly. The problem with ppm signal in is that servos response really slow. With Spektrum directly in, servos could work normally sometimes, but it's on and off, doesn't seem to be consistent. I already checked all connections and tested on two brand new Apogee boards. Looks like this problem is always there. Can anyone tell me where the problem comes from or any suggestions?

Another question, when connect Specktrum receiver directly to Apogee board through R/C RX2, what is the correct way to bind the transmitter? I noticed on the paparazzi wiki it says on Apogee board AUX4 is also spektrum bind pin. Is it similar with Lisa board that I should connect AUX4 to GND?

Thanks!

Pengzhi

Re: Apogee RC not Working Properly

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Hi,

It is strange that PPM signal produce a slow servo reaction, you should
give us more information like the version of paparazzi, the type of
receiver you are using...

About the direct spektrum, I have never really used it on Apogee, but it
works correctly on other boards running Paparazzi. As said on the wiki,
the bind pin is AUX4 and it should be grounded while powering the board.
But due to the integrated inverter used to read the Futaba SBUS format,
you actually need to connect both PPM_IN and RX2 to the spektrum
receiver. The PPM_IN is then used to generate the binding signal for the
receiver. Seems this part was not properly documented on the wiki.

Gautier

Le 02/03/2016 00:29, Pengzhi Tian a écrit :

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am currently working on an Apogee board, however I couldn't get RC working
> properly. I am using a Spektrum DX7s transmitter. As you might already know,
> Apogee can take both ppm signal or Spektrum directly. I tried both, however,
> none of these seem to work properly. The problem with ppm signal in is that
> servos response really slow. With Spektrum directly in, servos could work
> normally sometimes, but it's on and off, doesn't seem to be consistent. I
> already checked all connections and tested on two brand new Apogee boards.
> Looks like this problem is always there. Can anyone tell me where the
> problem comes from or any suggestions?
>
> Another question, when connect Specktrum receiver directly to Apogee board
> through R/C RX2, what is the correct way to bind the transmitter? I noticed
> on the paparazzi wiki it says on Apogee board AUX4 is also spektrum bind
> pin. Is it similar with Lisa board that I should connect AUX4 to GND?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pengzhi

Re: Apogee RC not Working Properly

Pengzhi Tian
Hi Gautier,

Thanks for your reply. The receiver I am using is Spektrum 9645 and the paparazzi version is v5.6.0_stable.

I just tried the binding. Please take a look at the figure and let me know if I am doing it correct.

Somehow I feel the binding is not consistent. Sometimes the receiver is in binding mode when I ground the AUX4 + connect both PPM_IN and RX2 to the receiver. Sometimes the receiver is in binding mode even when I don't ground the AUX4.

After binding, should I just remove the ground wire for AUX4 or remove ground wire for AUX4 + disconnect PPM_IN.

Best,
Pengzhi Tian

Re: Apogee RC not Working Properly

Gautier Hattenberger-3
Hi,

The wiring seems correct. I don't think you need to remove the PPM_IN.
But you can remove the bind plug of AUX4 after binding.

Gautier