AR Drone 2.0 Getting Flight Location Data

AR Drone 2.0 Getting Flight Location Data

Nathan Speidel
Hello!

We are hoping to mount a small sensor on our AR Drone 2.0 and take sensor readings (of air pollutants) while the drone is executing a flight plan.

We need a way to correlate the sensor readings with WHERE the drone was at the time the reading was taken.

After the drone is done flying a flight plan there is a very nice map on the Paparazzi Center that indicates where the drone has flown.

Does anyone know how to download this flight-history data?

...Or even better...   Is there a way that a machine that is connected to the Drone's wifi could call a function or something to get a GPC location at that moment?

Are there any references that might be useful?

Thanks very much for any help you can offer!
-Nate

Re: AR Drone 2.0 Getting Flight Location Data

rijesh
The flight history data is stored under var/logs/<date and time>.data.
These can be replayed via the GCS.
http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Logs

Messages received from the drone should be on the ivybus. You can
write a program that will read GPS messages as they come in.
http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Ivy
Heres a python example for sending a message
https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/sw/ground_segment/python/move_waypoint_example.py
Here's a C example for reading a message
https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/5bf7d403bd40e5188823be7dfe58ca0b978200ee/sw/logalizer/plotprofile.c

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Nathan Speidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> We are hoping to mount a small sensor on our AR Drone 2.0 and take sensor
> readings (of air pollutants) while the drone is executing a flight plan.
>
> We need a way to correlate the sensor readings with WHERE the drone was at
> the time the reading was taken.
>
> After the drone is done flying a flight plan there is a very nice map on the
> Paparazzi Center that indicates where the drone has flown.
>
> Does anyone know how to download this flight-history data?
>
> ...Or even better...   Is there a way that a machine that is connected to
> the Drone's wifi could call a function or something to get a GPC location at
> that moment?
>
> Are there any references that might be useful?
>
> Thanks very much for any help you can offer!
> -Nate

Re: AR Drone 2.0 Getting Flight Location Data

Nathan Speidel
Thank you!!   This is exactly what we were looking for!

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Rijesh Augustine <[hidden email]> wrote:
The flight history data is stored under var/logs/<date and time>.data.
These can be replayed via the GCS.
http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Logs

Messages received from the drone should be on the ivybus. You can
write a program that will read GPS messages as they come in.
http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Ivy
Heres a python example for sending a message
https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/sw/ground_segment/python/move_waypoint_example.py
Here's a C example for reading a message
https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/5bf7d403bd40e5188823be7dfe58ca0b978200ee/sw/logalizer/plotprofile.c

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Nathan Speidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We are hoping to mount a small sensor on our AR Drone 2.0 and take sensor
> readings (of air pollutants) while the drone is executing a flight plan.
>
> We need a way to correlate the sensor readings with WHERE the drone was at
> the time the reading was taken.
>
> After the drone is done flying a flight plan there is a very nice map on the
> Paparazzi Center that indicates where the drone has flown.
>
> Does anyone know how to download this flight-history data?
>
> ...Or even better...   Is there a way that a machine that is connected to
> the Drone's wifi could call a function or something to get a GPC location at
> that moment?
>
> Are there any references that might be useful?
>
> Thanks very much for any help you can offer!
> -Nate

Re: AR Drone 2.0 Getting Flight Location Data

Pascal Fust
Hi Nathan,

If you go with the log data, you need to ensure that the clocks of the sensor and the GPS of the log are synchronous, or the time lag between the two at least known...

Cheers,
Pascal